Puzzling reception question

Xterraxplorer

Let me begin this by saying that I know little to nothing about circuit boards. I've had CB's for the last 20 years, but never worked on them. This is an area that I always paid someone to do. The issue is that my repair guy passed away four years ago, and the other guy in town is sketchy at best. I recently picked up a Midland 77-285 for $5 at a thrift store. I figured it was worth the money to play around with. I hooked it up last night and it makes a subtle whine while it is on. I turned the volume up, squelch down, and still received nothing. At this point I figured "what the heck" and keyed the mic. Once keyed, it began to receive static. I pulled the mic off to see if the keyway had broken and I hooked it up wrong, ie crossed pins, but no. I googled the problem and couldn't find a post to match what I had going on, nor can I seem to find a schematic for this radio. Would somebody point me in the direction of what to look at?

4x4junkie

Explorer
You're saying the radio receives while you have the PTT pressed, but makes the whine while it's released?

If this is the case it's almost certainly a mis-wired microphone (or your mic is for the (much more common) 4-pin Uniden/Cobra/Galaxy configuration).

Schematic (also showing the mic) here.

Pin 1 = mic audio
Pin 2 = ground
Pin 3 = receive (speaker)
Pin 4 = PTT

Xterraxplorer

Thank you so much. I kinda feel like a bonehead for not knowing there was more than one setup for the four pins. Mine has Cobra stamped right on it. I feel like a bigger bonehead looking at the link you posted and realizing that I had been to the same page and overlooked the schematic. :oops: So again, thank you.

Xterraxplorer

Well it's not solved in two posts exactly. I managed to find the correct mic, I have static, but no chatter. I'll be checking it with a friend of mine tomorrow as I have no clue if I'm even transmitting.

Xterraxplorer

Okay, so I was able to test it out tonight, and I could receive but not transmit. For kicks, I took a look at the wiring on the mic and the red wire on pin 4 was disconnected. A quick solder job and now she is working like a champ. 4x4junkie, I appreciate it. :clapping: I probably would have bought another radio if you hadn't told me about the difference in wiring. Happy trails.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Always glad to help (solving problems in as few posts as possible :) )

That Midland looks to be a nice radio, should be a keeper regardless of what you paid for it. Put a decent antenna on it (something 5' or taller) and you should be getting out pretty good with it.

Xterraxplorer

I've got a fire stick currently installed, but I might try my 102 again. I opted to mount the antenna on the front bumper and I am loving the location. My worry is smacking someone with it. My SWRs are pegged when I key in so I definitely need to adjust the antenna, and find a better power source.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Yeah bumpers are about the worst place to mount an antenna (as your bad SWR shows)... A 102" whip can make the best of that location, but it's still far from ideal. Top of roof is best (I run a 5.5' Francis CB-26 Hot Rod w/spring on the roof of mine), but fender/hood mounts, and even quarter-panel or taillight bracket mounts are a hundred to thousand times better than a bumper mount.

Xterraxplorer

I'm not a huge fan of bumper mounts myself, but for what I'm doing it should work fine. I'm working on building a roof rack right now, and if I wind up not liking the location, I'll build a mount on the side of that. If I do like the location, I'll be incorporating a mount on the new front bumper whenever I finally get that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz