Alternate Winch Uses

jeverich

Luddite
After about an hour of tempting a hernia and head scratching; I finally remembered that thing tucked away within my bumper.. Worked perfectly!

Let's see some pictures of your winches being used for something other than getting unstuck!

TwinStick

Explorer
Self recovery (lol-which does NOT count as a stuck IMHO), stump removal, shrub removal, exact tree felling (when you do NOT want it to hit the house), rock removal/relocating. Thats what i have used mine for. No pics, sorry.

Madbodhi

Observer
Cant find a pic but I once saw a front bumper mounted homebrew cherry picker where the boom was removable and could be slid into the custom bumper when it was needed and it was powered by the winch via a pulley system. Also had removable outriggers. Pretty neat.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I've used mine to move around a few of my own cars that weren't running, most recently to get a VW project onto and off of a trailer, tranny locked up and front wheels locked to the side with no key. I've also drug outbuildings around with it. Lots of tree pull-downs as well but never have I used it to get unstuck.
A 12k winch on a 10k van is quite useful though. It's a mobile island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Pulled dents and pushed in core supports on vehicles. Pulled fence posts and have done tree work in the yard with it. A zip line with the snatch block is the best.

larcie

run over a couple of branches to make a fling fox for the kids to play on,
same configuration for a dog run, on their leashes.
makes a handy clothes line to dry washing or wet gear.,
or throw a tarp over the line for an emergency shelter...
left to the imagination and the situation

robert

Expedition Leader
Yard work including removing some shrubs and some roots, cleaning a couple of deer, built an A frame to help lift some beams into place, moved cars around/drug a couple out of the woods onto the trailer, helped get a flooded boat back on its trailer (not my boat- always make sure your plug is in before launching), etc. No pictures handy.

Last edited:

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I saw a show where a couple guys put a sling on one to lower themselves down a cliffside since there was no way back up. Lucky the wireless remote could still reach from below.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Raising a wind turbine tower with a gin pole is my most common winch use. I put a receiver on the front of my Dodge, with a quick-connect cable fitting, and we use it for standing up towers. Got to make sure to chock the wheels though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke