Warn ProVantage 4500-s for Subaru Outback

IrishCatholic

I'm planning how to equip my 2015 Outback for overland traveling. The poor approach and departure angles limit the terrain I can traverse, so I anticipate mud and sand to be the likely obstacles that prevent progress. I'm considering a ProVantage 4500-s winch because it only weighs 20 pounds and it doesn't seem to me that a lateral pull out of the mud or sand would tax its limits, and a stronger (much heavier) winch might destroy my Outback. I'm interested in peoples' thoughts.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
The formula we use for winch capacity is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating x 1.5 = pulling capacity. Outback GVWR is 4,850, so capacity would be 7,275. That being said, you can use a snatch block to double the capacity.

My real question, however, is how you'd mount it so that you don't rip it off the vehicle.

- Andy

IrishCatholic

Thank you for your reply!
If I can save 50 pounds or so per winch, I'll gladly use a snatch block.
I'm considering having a receiver hitch winch mount fabricated or fabricating a permanent mount that attaches to the rear as if it were a receiver hitch. I haven't studied the front well enough yet to figure out a proper mounting plan.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Just be sure to keep in mind the capacities of the hitch and such. You wouldn't want to overload it as it might not be a satisfactory recovery point in terms of capacity.

- Andy

Kerensky97

Xterra101
The outback is a unibody construction so you don't really bolt into a ladder frame like with trucks and truck based SUVs. I'm sure that the hitch receiver for it has a weight rating but that may be your limit. With the unibody you'd be drilling and mounting straight to the car body itself so a strong winch pull at an angle could twist your entire car body. Not to mention the thickness of the body is likely thinner than a usual truck frame so you could risk pulling the winch clean out of it's mounts.
I'd say aim for the rear receiver mount or make sure you have some professionals that know what they're doing and can reinforce the winch mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior