Hunting with dogs in Canada

Dalko43

Explorer
So I was perusing some of the hunting regulations for certain Canadian provinces (Ontario) and I noticed, to my surprise, that certain areas allow for dog hunting (specifically for white-tail, moose, black bear, coyote, wolf and various small game). This is a total eye-opener for someone who lives in NY, or the US in general. Most US states allow for dog hunting for certain types of small game, coyote, maybe cougar or black bear (depending on the state's population). Big game hunting with dogs is severely restricted (leashed tracking of wounded animals is allowed, but not actual tracking/hunting) in most states, and only allowed in a few states in the south (again subject to municipal/regional restrictions).

So does anyone here have experience hunting with dogs in Canada?

As a non-resident, am I allowed to apply for a dog hunting license?

Are there restrictions on breed, usage, type of hunting?

Do the other provinces have similar rules on dogs?

I have read over Ontario's hunting regulations, and the discussion on dog hunting was very minimal and vague (other than to say that hunting certain big game with a dog is illegal without a license). I also read Canada's 1997 Wildlife Conservation Act, but again the language pertaining to dog hunting is vague and minimal.

Last edited:

762X39

Explorer
I had a look at the regs because although I am an Ontario Hunter, bringing a dog with me isn't something I would do. You may need to contact the Ministry for clarification because other than for upland game, I don't see where dogs can be used. They keep referring (in the regs) to using a licensed dog (where permitted) to track wounded or shot game but it isn't very clear how you would use a dog to hunt big game (in fact there are very specific laws/rules about chasing or worrying game not being permitted). I dunno.:coffee:

Dalko43

Explorer
I had a look at the regs because although I am an Ontario Hunter, bringing a dog with me isn't something I would do. You may need to contact the Ministry for clarification because other than for upland game, I don't see where dogs can be used. They keep referring (in the regs) to using a licensed dog (where permitted) to track wounded or shot game but it isn't very clear how you would use a dog to hunt big game (in fact there are very specific laws/rules about chasing or worrying game not being permitted). I dunno.:coffee:

What regs were you referring to? Do you have a link?

I downloaded the 2016 Ontario Regulations PDF: https://www.ontario.ca/document/ontario-hunting-regulations-summary

The sections on general regulations (p. 26) and animal-specific regulations stated very clearly that use of dogs for hunting deer, moose, bear, and certain small game and furbearers, was allowed with the proper license. The only big-game hunting where dogs were specifically prohibited was elk.

All dogs used to hunt deer, moose or black bear must be licensed. There is no limit on the number of dogs that may be licensed and used. Dogs may not run at large in an area inhabited by deer, moose, elk, caribou or black bear during the closed season. Dogs may not be used to hunt elk.

My dog is not a hound-type, and I have no experience with running hounds, so I don't intend to let my dog run wild seeking and chasing any game. Rather, I intend to use my dog to track animal scent and to potentially track wounded animals....my dog certainly has the nose for that kind of work.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Based on the general lack of activity in this section you may wish to try an actual hunting forum based in that specific area, I hunt a lot but would never bother with posting a related question in here due to location/region/state specific hunting websites that offer honest and supported answers without having to deal with non-hunters.

Dalko43

Explorer
Based on the general lack of activity in this section you may wish to try an actual hunting forum based in that specific area, I hunt a lot but would never bother with posting a related question in here due to location/region/state specific hunting websites that offer honest and supported answers without having to deal with non-hunters.

I'm asking elsewhere too. I just wanted to see what, if any, answers popped up here.

98AT

I'm an ontario hunter (bird/deer) and many hunt camps in the area where I own property run dogs during deer season, it's a long standing tradition. It's a real rush hearing the dogs tracking/flushing deer in the bush, most camps run Walkers,Blueticks and Beagles.

I myself own two dogs, a springer/terrier mix who I use during Grouse/Waterfowl season and also a Walker Coonhound who I might run deer with this deer season.

I do not believe dogs are allowed during moose season or at least I've never heard of any fellas I know that hunt moose using dogs.

I do know a few fellas who run dogs during bear season also, again mostly Plott Hounds and Walkers.

I can't speak on regs for out of province hunters running dogs but you can contact the Ontario MNR and they will be able to answer any questions regarding this.

Cheers

Dalko43

Explorer
I'm an ontario hunter (bird/deer) and many hunt camps in the area where I own property run dogs during deer season, it's a long standing tradition. It's a real rush hearing the dogs tracking/flushing deer in the bush, most camps run Walkers,Blueticks and Beagles.

I myself own two dogs, a springer/terrier mix who I use during Grouse/Waterfowl season and also a Walker Coonhound who I might run deer with this deer season.

I do not believe dogs are allowed during moose season or at least I've never heard of any fellas I know that hunt moose using dogs.

I do know a few fellas who run dogs during bear season also, again mostly Plott Hounds and Walkers.

I can't speak on regs for out of province hunters running dogs but you can contact the Ontario MNR and they will be able to answer any questions regarding this.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback. I actually did a bit of research on the topic and found that dogs are allowed with non-resident licenses, though you need to purchase a separate dog license in addition to whatever big game tags you get. And there are specific regs which vary by WMU; some WMU's allow non-residents to hunt with dogs, while others don't, and still others require a non-resident to be accompanied by a guide.

I do think dogs are allowed for Moose as well, but you need to apply and get a Moose tag, which I think is on a lottery-based system for residents and non-residents.

Bottom-line from my research, you can hunt certain big-game species with dogs in Ontario. I don't think I'll get around to it this coming season due to my own plans in NY, but I hope to get up north in the future.

Dirtysailor

Glad I read this thread, I never considered Canada as a place to run dogs on big game. I would like to see if my DK stacked up to the task since completing his utility testing, which is mostly around steadiness to the shot and blood tracking. That and Ontario is much closer to me than my normal Montana fall trip. I will have to pull together the costs for tags and such, but I appreciate someone bringing this up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles