Water Crossings with a 2nd Gen Frontier

Friggin_Fuego

Hey guys. I'm thinking about getting a 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X. It will eventually turn into a tandem Overland Vehicle to compliment my 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser. I will eventually pass it down to my son. I'm a Toyota guy, but in my honest opinion, Toyota botched the 2016 Tacoma with a minivan motor.

I have a question on the alternator location. I heard it was down low. Would it hinder any serious water crossings?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hey guys. I'm thinking about getting a 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X. It will eventually turn into a tandem Overland Vehicle to compliment my 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser. I will eventually pass it down to my son. I'm a Toyota guy, but in my honest opinion, Toyota botched the 2016 Tacoma with a minivan motor.

I have a question on the alternator location. I heard it was down low. Would it hinder any serious water crossings?

Hasn't stopped any of my water crossings, and I've done a fair amount that are about 3 feet deep.

If you're really worried, Rugged Rocks sells a waterproof 180A alternator that's a drop-in replacement. I think Mean Green makes one too. Little more spendy though. But I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Friggin_Fuego

Thanks for the information. The more I read about Frontier's, the more I feel they are better than Tacoma's. Seems like these trucks are way underrated.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Thanks for the information. The more I read about Frontier's, the more I feel they are better than Tacoma's. Seems like these trucks are way underrated.

I'd agree, they are seriously underrated. They're a joy to drive on the road, very quiet and comfortable, and with a more powerful engine than Toyota's 4.0. They're also a bit roomier and feel more like a truck when you're driving them.

Their big flaws:

Ground clearance -
My Frontier with a 3" lift and sliders is only just an inch or two taller under the doors than a stock gen 2 Taco. The frame heights are pretty similar, but for some reason Nissan decided to build around the frame instead of on top of it, like Toyota did.

Front suspension -
1. Uses a UCA that swings above the coilover instead of around it like the Tacos. This means there's not as much room to move, and it creates the more imminent problem of UCA/coil bucket contact when using longer shocks or spacers, which is unpleasant at best and damaging at worst. It's a decent design, but it doesn't allow for as much travel.
2. Frontiers have wider frames and, therefore, shorter control arms. Shorter control arms means less travel. The wider frame also creates the issue of shorter CV shafts. Shorter shafts means more severe angles on the joints when the suspension is extended. Ergo, less travel.
3. Toyota uses a front diff design that has the CV shafts coming out of the diff a few inches lower than the Frontier diffs do. This means that the Taco's CV joints are at a flatter angle when the suspension is extended.

The overall front suspension design allows for less travel and less lift than the Tacoma, unless you're willing to do a Titan swap. I'm not a big fan of that particular route, but to each their own.

All that being said though, I like the Frontier more than I like the Tacoma. They're not as common, they're usually modified less, they're nicer to drive, the interior is a bit bigger, the bed rails are deeper, the engine is more brawny, the rear diffs are generally tougher, the frames are more solid, they have a shorter wheelbase, and I think they look better. And used ones are cheaper.

RyanHeller

Observer
Water crossings are fine in the Frontier/Xterra although your alternator will make a little bit more noise afterwards. Avoid overly muddy water as that will contaminate it even more. I have been through about 10 pretty deep water crossings and my alternator is still functioning perfectly. It does make slight bearing noise on startup on cold mornings, but it goes away after warm up.

11146241_844599265615584_1146021012039740692_n.jpg

10417723_844598725615638_1133698395682930546_n.jpg

Video of my Xterra and my buddies Tacoma through the same water crossing.

[video]https://youtu.be/-pzTUwRi7-Y[/video]

gophere

Adventurer
Do the Frontiers have the rear diff breather from the factory or to you have to extend it like the xterra?
X2 on the mud is way worse than water.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

RockyZuk

Observer
Their big flaws: Ground clearance - My Frontier with a 3" lift and sliders is only just an inch or two taller under the doors than a stock gen 2 Taco. The frame heights are pretty similar said:
While i do agree that the Xterra and Frontier should have come from the factory with the body 1.5" higher on the frame, I do appreciate the fact that all of the vital drivetrain and gas tank was built within the frame. Especially after seeing a 4Runner without running boards or sliders, I cant believe that Toyota still builds the 4runner with it's gas tank sitting 4 inches below the frame rails, same with the transfer case.

2661dba0.jpg

andrewh

/dev/4wd
I would pick up two lifetime alternators from autozone and swap them out when needed. I probably went through 4-5 during the 13 year history of my rig

SnowedIn

Observer
On the topic of breathers, it appeared to me on my 2015 Frontier that the front breather simply ended in a bare hose behind/below the airbox. I tossed a lawnmower fuel filter on there, just like the rear that I extended up into the tail light housing.

Dmski

Adventurer
Aside from alternators, intake and breathers, watch out for the engine fan spinning and hitting the radiator and also watch for the auto trans computer which is right on top of the transmission in 2nd gens. They are good at water crossings, but they are not boats so treat them accordingly.

foursixty

Wasn't sad to see my 06 Tacoma SR5 go when I replaced it with a 10 Frontier Pro-4x. I have plenty of reasons why and can get into it if you like but the short of it is, Tacoma = under built, Frontier = over built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke