2013 Ram 3500 Build

mtrewartha

Observer
Picked up a Factor 55 ProLink awhile back too, so that should be nice and safe for winching.

IMG_20160625_175237.jpg

The truck's getting sidelined a little bit. I've had this 1978 Honda CT-70 MiniTrail since I was a kid (we have a Z50 too), but I've been waiting for a good chance to restore it and finally got one. Picked up a Piranha 140cc engine for it, along with some restoration parts and I'll be restoring that little by little over the coming months.

We're also going on a trip up to Sun Valley, ID (won some vacation package of 4 days and 3 nights for free up there, so we're making a road trip of it). I'll post some pics of that and hopefully the CT70 is ready to rock by the time we do that trip. Here it is as it sits now:

IMG_20160710_140846.jpg

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Cool rig, you going to do 37s now that youre on a carli kit? 37s fit our trucks wayyy better imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtrewartha

Observer
Very well done on the Ram!

Thanks!

Cool rig, you going to do 37s now that youre on a carli kit? 37s fit our trucks wayyy better imo.

Yeah, in fact, I might try to do them before our Idaho trip. I'm really tired of the 20" Fuels. Love the Nittos, but I want something straight black and I'd reeeeeally love it if some 37s fit on some AEV Katlas or Saltas without rubbing on the fenders at full flex. If I have to, I'll either fab up or buy some aftermarket radius arms to make them fit. The 35s are nice for street and mileage driving, but the 37 bug bit me hard.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Thanks!

Yeah, in fact, I might try to do them before our Idaho trip. I'm really tired of the 20" Fuels. Love the Nittos, but I want something straight black and I'd reeeeeally love it if some 37s fit on some AEV Katlas or Saltas without rubbing on the fenders at full flex. If I have to, I'll either fab up or buy some aftermarket radius arms to make them fit. The 35s are nice for street and mileage driving, but the 37 bug bit me hard.
I have 37s on my truck, which is lifted less than yours and i dont rub. Nothing a plasma cutter cant fix ;)

mtrewartha

Observer
I ♥ Taco;2131643 said:
How has the paint held up under those flares? Looking at the option for my truck.

I'm afraid to look haha... I heard horror stories, but I decided to do them anyways because I love big tires too much. I'll check when I get home.

I have 37s on my truck, which is lifted less than yours and i dont rub. Nothing a plasma cutter cant fix ;)

What wheels and tires are you running? I think it's just the wheel offset and tire width that are causing it for me. I'm hoping I can find the right combo while using a decently wide tire for some float in sand, mud, and snow.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
What wheels and tires are you running? I think it's just the wheel offset and tire width that are causing it for me. I'm hoping I can find the right combo while using a decently wide tire for some float in sand, mud, and snow.

I dont run the "correct" offset for no rub on our trucks. +15 to +20 offset is the key to low/no rubbing.

I wanted method wheels which only came in a +0, meaning they stuck out an additional 20mm, but it ended up not being an issue with how much I trimmed.

I have 37x13.5R17 Toyo M/T's or 37" BFG KR2 race tires(I have two sets of tires, change em out depending on where Im going). On 17x8.5+0 Method double standards. Theres pictures in my build thread.

If you get an 18" wheel, you can run a 38" toyo m/t if you wanted with no rub.

AEV

Supporting Sponsor - American Expedition Vehicles
Thanks!

We don't experience any rubbing with 37" tires on our wheels running about 35-40psi for daily driving. Side note: our fender flares for 2010+ 2500/3500 will be available by the end of Q3.

mtrewartha

Observer
I dont run the "correct" offset for no rub on our trucks. +15 to +20 offset is the key to low/no rubbing.

I wanted method wheels which only came in a +0, meaning they stuck out an additional 20mm, but it ended up not being an issue with how much I trimmed.

I have 37x13.5R17 Toyo M/T's or 37" BFG KR2 race tires(I have two sets of tires, change em out depending on where Im going). On 17x8.5+0 Method double standards. Theres pictures in my build thread.

If you get an 18" wheel, you can run a 38" toyo m/t if you wanted with no rub.

We don't experience any rubbing with 37" tires on our wheels running about 35-40psi for daily driving. Side note: our fender flares for 2010+ 2500/3500 will be available by the end of Q3.

So, sounds like both of you guys are saying you don't get rubbing with 37's. How much have you flexed things out to see if you get rubbing then? Most of the stuff here in CO tends to be slow speed, crawling, with plenty of flex going on (not like a 3500 spring rates are flexy haha, but still), so that's what I care about most.

Chris, I'm most likely going to do some Saltas. If the flares come out and they're great, I might sell these Bushwackers and upgrade. How much extra coverage do they give? Supposedly the Bushwackers I'm running now are about 3.5" up front, but it looks like yours might be even more?

Trophycummins

Adventurer
What I did was take the springs out, put the suspension on the bump stops, and turn the steering wheel back and forth, anything the tire touched was cut off or moved.

In theory, you'll also rub less because you're running a Carli kit which has less up travel than the thuren kit, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

My friend's very happy with your rims on his '05. No rub anywhere with Toyo 35" RT's.
I'm next if I can get these AT2's to wear out.

AEV

Supporting Sponsor - American Expedition Vehicles
So, sounds like both of you guys are saying you don't get rubbing with 37's. How much have you flexed things out to see if you get rubbing then? Most of the stuff here in CO tends to be slow speed, crawling, with plenty of flex going on (not like a 3500 spring rates are flexy haha, but still), so that's what I care about most.

Chris, I'm most likely going to do some Saltas. If the flares come out and they're great, I might sell these Bushwackers and upgrade. How much extra coverage do they give? Supposedly the Bushwackers I'm running now are about 3.5" up front, but it looks like yours might be even more?

I can check on coverage and get back to you tomorrow. I'll have the trucks out for a meeting tomorrow.

mtrewartha

Observer
What I did was take the springs out, put the suspension on the bump stops, and turn the steering wheel back and forth, anything the tire touched was cut off or moved.

In theory, you'll also rub less because you're running a Carli kit which has less up travel than the thuren kit, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Nice, that's a good idea. I might poke around with the same!

I can check on coverage and get back to you tomorrow. I'll have the trucks out for a meeting tomorrow.

I'd appreciate that. Thanks Chris!

Cascadian

Observer
Beautiful truck Mike!

I have the same bumper in the garage waiting for my truck to get home. I have the same chrome grill though and need to rectify that. Did you just paint over it or replace with a paint to match grill?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior