2013 Ram 3500 Build

mtrewartha

Observer
Well, I figure I've lurked around here long enough... I've gotten a ton of great info from this forum and it's time to actually post for once! Anywho, here's my setup and the evolution it's gone through since I bought it in July of 2013.

The truck's a 2013 Ram 3500 with the Cummins and the heavy duty Aisin automatic. I didn't really *need* the 3500, but I couldn't get the 2500 with the Aisin (I was soooo tired of the old, crappy autos these trucks had), so I sprung. This was not long after buying it:

1233528_917592624927_531234143_n.jpg

1381673_917592649877_118483088_n.jpg

After a few years, I grew tired of the stock stuff and financials started to allow for some modding. It started with some new kicks (20" Fuel Kranks and 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2s) and a Hell Bent Steel 2.5" leveling kit with some Bilstein 5100s.

FB_IMG_1446474459619.jpg

1606873_10100242376193027_5696011633019019358_n.jpg

I ran this setup for a while and generally liked it. The G2s are phenomenal tires. Great traction both on and off road and they wear like iron. I've loved them so far (and to this day I'm still running the same set).

Then, I wound up rear ending someone on accident. Welp... time for a new bumper. I had wanted one anyways, so why pay out for a new stock one when the money could just go towards a new aftermarket one I'd eventually buy anyways? I looked and looked, but just wasn't really digging most of the offerings out there. Lots of stout, well made bumpers are available for these trucks, but many either look ridiculous or look the same as others. Then I realized I had heard AEV was now making Ram parts, and it was settled. I picked up their front bumper and threw that on.

IMG_8085.jpg

Note there's no winch in there :) We'll come back to that.

After leaving things be for a little while and getting the truck out regularly, I was getting pretty irritated with rubbing on the backs of the front fender wells at full lock, even without any suspension flex. Since I take the truck off road a fair amount and can't have that happening, I decided to take a leap in suspension... I'd always drooled over Carli setups and it was finally time to splurge on one.

So, after a few trips to High Country Performance 4x4 in Englewood, CO, I wound up with a Carli Pintop 2.5" diameter kit, which gives 3" of lift. Carli makes *awesome* stuff. It's super well tuned, very well designed, and very well built. These guys don't mess around and that's why I bought the kit. I couldn't be happier, but my wallet felt it haha. New 2.5" body remote reservoir shocks all around, a mini pack to replace the overload in the back, new coil springs in front, a new adjustable track bar, radius arm relocation brackets, sway bar drop brackets, and bump stop drops. Oh, and a blizzard decided to come in the middle of my install, too... whoops!

IMG_20160131_092420.jpg

IMG_20160220_165536.jpg

Once the wallet had recovered from that, it was time to put a winch in the winch bumper. Another trip to High Country Performance 4x4. Brought home this and installed it the next day. Luckily, I was able to sneak it in without removing the whole AEV bumper. I just unbolted the grille, popped it out, and dropped the winch in.

IMG_20160321_072032.jpg

Last, but certainly not least, came the SnugTop. Rebel model, windoors on both sides, and the ProLock for free. Love it so far! Can't wait to get it all set up for storage. I do plenty of camping, fly fishing, and shooting, so all of those goodies as well as camping & recovery gear will eventually find a semi-permanent home back there. Oh, and the dogs now have a nice place to chill! Duke (lab) and Gatsby (Amish, corn fed labradoodle).

IMG_20160422_185604.jpg

Finally, here's how it sits today, waiting to head back into Rocky Mountain National Park for some spring fly fishing and camping this weekend.

IMG_20160512_190446.jpg

Overado

Observer
That is one bad ride! Really love these trucks wish I could afford one! Great build. Enjoy the fly fishing I was just in Vermont caught some nice Trout

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Very nice. I'm getting AEV 's wheels and 35" Toyo RT's next. Perfect backspacing and 17" x 8.5".:sombrero:
I too wish AEV would expand their bumper offering to the 3rds.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
OP, love it! 2 solid axles, cummins diesel, AEV front bumper, ASIN transmission...exactly what I'd be doing with my RAM 3500 if I bought one new.

Looking forward to future posts!

mtrewartha

Observer
Thanks everybody, I appreciate the kind words. It's been a blast to work on and even more fun to enjoy using it!

Very nice. I'm getting AEV 's wheels and 35" Toyo RT's next. Perfect backspacing and 17" x 8.5".:sombrero:

AEV really does make some nice stuff. I think I may actually ditch the Fuel wheels and go for AEV's Katla wheels for the same reason! I love the look of the Fuels, but the backspacing and width just don't work for anything that sees real off road usage unless you do some serious lift (no thanks, prefer the lower COG and the ability to tow) or some serious fender trimming (which I may do later, but we'll see). Post some pics once you get 'em!

That truck should have no problem going anywhere it will fit. Key word here is 'fit".

:coffeedrink: Yeah, "fit" is something it doesn't do well. I work in downtown Denver and don't fit in the company parking garage. Trails are pretty much the same story... luckily Colorado has some wide trails!

mtrewartha

Observer
Sick ride dude!!

Thanks!

Awhile back here, we headed up to Clohesy Lake for a quick overnight and fishing trip. Beautiful drive with a little water crossing and some cool historical mining sights to see. We got most of the way up, then found out 3 feet of snow were still covering the (very tight) trail. The dogs were in the back and the girlfriend's patience in finding a campsite was wearing thin, so we stopped early and relaxed for the night. Didn't get to fish, but it was still a fun little trip with some great scenery.

We took tons of pics, so check out the album on Google Photos.

Attachments

• rsz_img_20160528_195018.jpg
    rsz_img_20160528_195018.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior