2011 F-150 XLT V-8 4x4 - Adventure Truck Build Thread

Bravo1782

Adventurer
Hello,
Figured it was time to do a centralized build thread for my F-150 project truck. Figured I would post a couple of thoughts first, then I'll treat this as a "Table of Context" for the other threads I've posted and also share a few thoughts. I'll add more links to posts as I...well..post them.

Table of Contents
Electronics\Accessories
Engine Bay Fuse Block - Gen 1
Truck Bed Power Supply
In-Cab Fuse Block
Ditch Lights
Hidden LED Light Bar, Gen 1

Bumpers\Armor\Skidplates

Suspension\Drivetrain

Camping Gear\Cargo

Pictures
5-14-16 - Glamour Shots -or- The state of affairs as of 5/14/16
The Adventure F-150 Out in the Wild

Why an F-150?
The general consensus seems to be if you want an expo rig, you need to have a Toyota, Land Rover, Unimog, or other standard "Expo Rigs." I didn't go that route, and here's my thoughts on the subject:

Affordability\Parts Availability
Here's an obvious one: I got a great deal on my truck. When I bought it, it was the dead of one of the coldest Iowa winters in recent history and the dealership I bought it from was suffering, so I got a crazy deal. My payments have been small, they gave me insane value for my trade in, and I couldn't beat it. However, in general, used F-150's are everywhere in a variety of trim levels with varying levels of functionality and comfort. With that high supply and reasonable demand means a very affordable used market. The reality is, not everyone can afford a brand new Land Cruiser, Range Rover, or Rubicon Wrangler. Sometimes a Ford Truck with 100K+ miles is what you can afford.

Plentiful F-150's on the road also means IMMENSE parts availability; the F-150 is one of the most common trucks in the US, so replacement parts are very plentiful, junkyards are full of parts, and there's a lot of good aftermarket options. This makes the cost of ownership low as well as the cost of purchase low. Win\Win. Plus, when I'm out on the road, if I find myself in mechanical trouble, I'm sure I can find a shop or a dealership SOMEWHERE that'll work on an F-150 (if I'm unable to affect the repair myself).

Power\Fuel Economy
Here's a tricky game we all end up playing...we need to get the power we need to go the places we want and take the things we need and somewhere balance all that against fuel costs. The 5.0L Coyote V8 mated with the 6-speed automatic transmission I feel gives me just that; I've got around 360-370 horsepower with highway fuel economy as high as 20MPG. Where I live is pretty far from a lot of good places to explore (Iowa) so inevitably I have to spend a lot of time on the highway before I get to go play in the dirt. Generally, loaded down with gear, water, food, spare fuel, my RTT, my Fiance and my mutts, I expect to get 18 on the highway. Not Bad! Plus, I've got around 7500lbs of towing capacity, whenever I need it.

Reliability
So far, I haven't done any performance modifications...that is to say, no upgraded differentials, axle shafts, suspension, engine...all my upgrades have been what I would call "accessories..." and my truck has never failed me. I've been hard on it, I've put it places most people wouldn't dare take a stock full size truck, deep snow, deep mud, and it's been an absolute beast. So far, I haven't had a single breakdown. And if I do, I know I'll be able to find parts and support. The Coyote V8 so far has a great track record in both the Ford and the Mustang and I haven't found many complaints about the trans and T-case. The Front differential, while an IFS, is built around the Ford 8.8 Differential, which is well known for being a good, tough differential. The rear axle is very tough, and while not as tough as a Dana 60, it's close. I don't plan on putting this truck in the sorts of situations that will really push this rig to the limit, but it's good to know that it can handle a lot.

Size
This can get filed under both Pro and Con category. As I said, I spend a lot of time on highway in this truck, so the massive, roomy cab and the large 5' 5" bed have all the space to take all the gear I need (and then some!). I've often described it as "driving a sofa." It's very comfortable, plenty of leg and head room, and this size makes camping out of it very comfortable. Plus, with the idea of a family on the horizon, I know that it'll have the space for future child-spawn. The large bed is also great for any of your normal hauling needs, whether it's lumber, steel, trash, plants, garbage or whatever you need to fit in the bed. With the exception of very long pieces of lumber and steel, I've always had plenty of space in the bed.

HOWEVER, this does have its disadvantages too. In fact, I would argue this is the BIGGEST disadvantage with running a full-size truck in this application. Driving and parking in cities as well as small, compact mountain towns, is much, much more challenging. It's not only long, but wide, so parallel parking is almost completely out of the question. I live in the midwest so this isn't often an issue, but it's one I need to be mindful of. Also, small, tight trails become much harder to negotiate. I've already earned a lot of scratches in my paint from vegetation on narrow trails in both forest and desert conditions, with plenty more on the way, I'm sure. In my scenario, my Fiance drives a much smaller, more compact vehicle, so we can have the best of both worlds...but not everyone can swing a two-vehicle household.

Now, with all that said, I've never met an environment where the size of my truck has caused me to turn around. That's just my data in the couple of years that I've had my truck, and that may change. Until then, I still absolutely love this truck.

The Aftermarket
Thanks to how common the F-150 is on the market, GENERALLY SPEAKING there's a large number of custom-fit, application specific aftermarket parts. Everything from bumpers, toppers, roof racks, winch plates, light bar mounts, grilles, wheels, fender flares, engine modification and performance...you name it, someone makes an aftermarket part for it. If you're not the type that likes to build their own equipment and are more comfortable buying it, an F-150 is a great choice. Not everyone has the time\patience\space to have even a basic fabrication setup to build custom pieces AND THAT'S OK!

Note: While there is a tremendous aftermarket for the F-150, there's still a lot of things that don't exist that I want. In some of the project post you'll see in the coming year, I'll be building and discussing a couple of these limitations in the market place.

Stock Form
As of 5-11-16, all the upgrades on my truck have been what I would consider "accessory" upgrades...that is to say, nothing I have done directly affects the mechanical functionality of the vehicle. I've added some accessories that help organizing gear, lights, etc, but nothing that increases the performance of the truck. I have to say, in its stock form, this truck is very, very capable. If you're not the type that wants to "build your rig" or put tons of money into it, this might be the truck for you. With the addition of a topper, some decent tires, and a proper hitch, this truck may have everything you need! That's not the case for me, but, but I'm also a gear nut.

A thought on toppers\Bed Caps
I've owned a few trucks in the past, and I was always morally opposed to running a truck cap. I felt in limited the "inborn truck capability" of any given truck. When I bought my F-150, it included a topper, which I saw as a bonus. I figured, eventually, when i needed to, I'd just take the topper off. If I found it being a nuisance, I'd leave it off. I've owned my truck for about three years, and I have never ONCE taken the topper off. In fact, the first time the topper will be removed, will be to build something to solve one of my toppers greatest limitations (more on this in a later post). I'm a total convert, I must admit. I have a simple Unicover Safari Topper...color-matched, locks, and that's about it for features. I would like to upgrade to a nicer topper, but that's pretty low on the priority list. The one I really want, unfortunately, isn't available for my truck. The protection from both intruders and the elements a topper provides, especially when overlanding, is excellent. I'm a huge fan (in this particular application).

Second type of cool
Anyone that has ever sat through the long and intense gear reviews of nutnfancy on Youtube has heard the term "second type of cool." For the uninitiated, that means "you like it because you like it." It's just cool to you, perhaps not in a way that's easily quantified. That's how I am with this truck; when I first test drove it, I knew I'd be taking it home at some point, just didn't quite know when. I was smitten. Maybe it was because it had everything I needed and nothing I didn't. Maybe it was because I've always wanted a dark blue truck. Maybe it was the get-up-and-go of that 5.0L V-8...whatever it was, I just love it. And I still love that truck like the day I bought it. It'll be a sad day if and when I ever have to give it up.

Adventure
Disclaimer: I'm a raging gear head. I love fancy new trucks, and fun new accessories, and performance mods, and fabricating crazy ideas I have. I'm addicted...I admit it! It's very easy to get lost in the sea of shiny new toys and forget what it's all about; at the end of the day, it's not about the gear or the rig at all. It's about the adventure. It's about getting out there, into the world, and seeing what this great big world has to offer. It's about that feeling of awe you get when you get to a place you've never been and stare out into nature with the people you love. It's just as much about the sucesses as the challenges and failures. It's about the people you bring with you and the people you meet along the way. It's about growth and experience, and pushing your limits.

So get out there.

See you on the trail!

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Good write up. Agree with most of it. I moved away from a topper to a tonneau cover that can easily be removed. I see pros and cons of both set ups.
_
I also chose an F150 over the others. My family and I love the truck.
_
How about some pictures?

Bravo1782

Adventurer
How about some pictures?

I'm planning on taking some glamour shots this weekend and get a couple "best of\out in the wild" Pictures. I've also got at least one more "write up" coming for my truck bed and accompanying drawer system in the next day or two.

Bravo1782

Adventurer
Hey Guys,
Added a new tab - PICTURES! ExPo loves their pictures, so I was happy to oblige. Let me know what you think!

Bravo1782

Adventurer
Hey Guys, just added on something new: the info and review of my first hidden LEd light bar. I just installed a new one and I'll write it up once I've done some testing. Thanks for following!

Ironhide Fx4

Observer
Nice truck. I have a 2012 ecoboost that I'm just starting to mod. Your right about the benefit of the size on long trips. I think I will always own a Screw from now on. The 5.5 bed is a pain when using it for long stuff like lumber or outdoor equipment but it has only really affected me maybe 3 times. I also have a cap but I find it is in my way too often. I can not access the front strap cleats and that makes it very aggravating, along with hitting my head on it.... I look forward to watching the rest of your build and write ups.

Bravo1782

Adventurer
I'll be doing a write up on some of my truck bed mods soon. I want to get a few more trips in to make sure I've got my system worked out. I agree, accessing the rear-Most attachment points is a pain BUT there may be ways to cheat the system...sort of.

LWD601

Beautiful truck I love that blue metallic. What roof rack do you have on there and how do you like? I've been thinking about modifying a truck/ lumber rack so i can still load dirtbikes and larger equipment in the bed but still have most of the truck length as added storage and a platform for a roof tent

Bravo1782

Adventurer
So right now I have a rhino rack system and I like it. It's only ever had my RTT mounted to it, but it's performed admirably. Very low wind noise, good security, simple use...HOWEVER the instructions are atrocious...but once you get it figured it's super easy. I'll do a full review at some point.

THAT SAID, I'm also working on a custom "topper rack." I'll post some pictures once it's finished. Essentially, I wanted a cargo rack over my topper such that the topper isn't bearing the weight, so I'm in the process of building something that goes around the topper and puts all the weight on my bed rails. I have a bunch of reasons for wanting it, which I won't go into here. My primary reason for wanting this is for a RTT.

LWD601

Right on can't wait to see pictures of it when it's done. And thank you for the feed back on the rhino rack I will have to look more into them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94