Suspension mod

Reddogtheo

Observer
When doing my spring mod the angle of the rear shackle should be 15 deg min 30 deg max. On standard spring chamber that relates to an extra 18mm added to the top leaf. I added 25 mm and increased the spring chamber to level the truck and give greater clearance to the bumpstops.

CropDuster

Observer
I have just over 80mm to the bump stop and they are 25mm longer springs but my shackle angle is still incorrect, at best I have 5-8 degrees.
The only thing I can see at the moment is that it is over sprung for the weight of the dual cab so I'm going to remove one of the load springs to see if it brings it in to range.
If that doesn't work I have 2 more sets of front springs to play with.

Reddogtheo

Observer
IMG_3245 (Small).JPGIMG_3238 (Small).JPGIMG_3237 (Small).JPGIMG_3236 (Small).JPGHave put some photos together the first few are with the truck parked flat you will notice that my bump stop is 20 mm longer than OEM and takes load at the springs flat point to stop the spring inverting

Reddogtheo

Observer
IMG_3244 (Small).JPGIMG_3243 (Small).JPGIMG_3242 (Small).JPGIMG_3241 (Small).JPGIMG_3240 (Small).JPGThe next photos are of the truck parked with one wheel sitting 700mm higher. This shows springs and shackles in full extreme flex.

canter tourer

Adventurer
Reddogtheo said:
Nice flex shots, thanks for the pics, certainly shows the improvements available with a little thought put into it.
Is it the angle of the shot, but the passenger brake line looks to be under stress at full flex?? might need a tweak on the brake line bracket that Dan mentioned further back in the thread.
Dave

Reddogtheo

Observer
Yes the lines are a bit short getting some braided lines made. I think new special valved shocks will do a lot to improve rebound yet I find shock builders very short on information . Rad flow did not respond with a price. Kings tell me 2 k yet no information on what they will supply. The cheap power downs work at the moment so I will have to do more research. Can anyone tell me if I should shorten the bumpstops and allow a bit of inversion on the spring or leave it alone?

Thanks

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I have left my bump stops as standard so as to get as much articulation of the front axle as possible. Don't know if it ever hits on them (never really looked) but we often have it standing on just one front wheel.
For front shocks I'm running Rancho 9000's these are adjustable (9 settings) and find them really good.

Dan.

yabanja

Explorer
I think you purchase the radflows through earthcruiser so they would likely have pricing. I am using bilsteins-am working on getting the valving fine tuned. Have always found them to be very durable on other vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reddogtheo

Observer
Thanks Dan the ranchos are great shocks and adjustable the power downs have three settings yet I feel the truck could benefit from different valving maybe I will take the truck down to Sydney and get ultimate suspension to have a drive as they make a shock with interchangeable valves and bypass plates. Also I may be to fussy as it is very close to a normal ute drive at the moment and it is a tipper. Retired and to much time on hand.

Mick

CropDuster

Observer
I have just over 80mm to the bump stop and they are 25mm longer springs but my shackle angle is still incorrect, at best I have 5-8 degrees.
The only thing I can see at the moment is that it is over sprung for the weight of the dual cab so I'm going to remove one of the load springs to see if it brings it in to range.
If that doesn't work I have 2 more sets of front springs to play with.
I did as above and removed the 3rd leaf which was a 250kg load leaf according to the manufacturer and I now have close to the correct angle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne