Opinions needed: Xterra, or alternatives?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Every low-priced Taco I've seen for sale has been beat to ******** and has high miles to boot.
In fact, when shopping for used vehicles, one thing I've noticed is that pickup trucks (a) always cost more than an equivalent SUV and (b) are usually in much worse shape.
Not sure why pickups are so expensive compared to SUVs but it's a trend I've noticed for a long time.
I guess one reason would be that SUVs are often purchased as "status symbols" and once they got old, they lose that cachet and become less valuable, whereas trucks are usually purchased for utility purposes, something they retain even after they're no longer new and shiny.

hansolex

Every low-priced Taco I've seen for sale has been beat to ******** and has high miles to boot.

Looked at two this weekend, and indeed they were filthy and had multiple issues.

That's kind of depressing to me that you can't get them for anywhere close to book value. We're talking, in my area, $2-4k over book value. At least. For high mile ones.

I'm starting to rethink spending more to get something newer. Maybe I just look for something old and in better condition.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Looked at two this weekend, and indeed they were filthy and had multiple issues.

That's kind of depressing to me that you can't get them for anywhere close to book value. We're talking, in my area, $2-4k over book value. At least. For high mile ones.

I'm starting to rethink spending more to get something newer. Maybe I just look for something old and in better condition.
If you can't get one at "book value" then the book needs to be edited. ;)
People pay crazy money for Tacomas. Why, I don't know, but they do. They're good trucks but there are others that don't have the T emblem on them that are just as good and cost a lot less.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Avoid toyotas first v6 3.0. I had one. Flawed design head vs block surface was inadequate results in a blown head gasket. Both times new heads over $8000 billed back to Toyota. The one pile of steaming garbage to come out of Toyota.
If you dont need seating for 4 keep an eye out for a 4.0 Ranger. They are known to do 300,000 pretty easily.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Avoid toyotas first v6 3.0. I had one. Flawed design head vs block surface was inadequate results in a blown head gasket. Both times new heads over $8000 billed back to Toyota. The one pile of steaming garbage to come out of Toyota.
If you dont need seating for 4 keep an eye out for a 4.0 Ranger. They are known to do 300,000 pretty easily.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, all the 3.0s aint bad. The one in my 93 has 430k on the clock with no rebuild. Original head gasket.

hansolex

On the opposite end of the spectrum, all the 3.0s aint bad. The one in my 93 has 430k on the clock with no rebuild. Original head gasket.

There's a 1990 4Runner I looked at a few weeks ago that's still for sale at a reasonable asking price. Just had timing belt done in the last 10k, has 190k on the clock. Manual. Was pretty clean inside and out. I liked it but I was holding out for something newer.

What's needed (other than the belts) to keep the 3.0 reliable? I want something that won't leave me stranded in the mountains, which is why I was looking newer.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
There's a 1990 4Runner I looked at a few weeks ago that's still for sale at a reasonable asking price. Just had timing belt done in the last 10k, has 190k on the clock. Manual. Was pretty clean inside and out. I liked it but I was holding out for something newer.

What's needed (other than the belts) to keep the 3.0 reliable? I want something that won't leave me stranded in the mountains, which is why I was looking newer.
My 91 was an auto. Suspension was rock solid and easy to check over etc. Cooling was marginal, power was lacking. The 3L v6 was a steaming pile of junk. Litterally.... The manual 3L's had better luck avoiding HG failure, the autos are all either scrapped by now or have been on extensive life support for a decade.

Having been down that road already. Reliability and 3L v6 90's toyotas are two different opposite things. A neighbor just junked his mint 91 5spd 3L 4runner with 120k original miles due to the HG failure. His HS son drove it 1 week, before the HG let go. Offroading use the 3L simply isnt up to the durability task or power. The 3.2 and 3.4 v6s are fantastic Toyota probably threatened bodily harm to the engine team if the 3L mess was repeated.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Google search works better than that built into ar15.com. Paul's Xterra adventures are easy to find as are pictures of them.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...EE05F45FCAF915F69515E54C43D26F698&FORM=IQFRBA

He travels Mojave / Death Valley etc often with I think two different groups, as well as solo trips. They've done some good wheeling with XTerras. He lives out around San Bernardino, CA and CA's / southwest deserts have been his stomping grounds. The XTerra - and his build on it - seems to be very capable.

04RigsontheRoad.jpg

seems his photobucket xterra library is wide open to view

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/paul1960/library/Xterra?sort=3&page=1

seekerbeta

Observer
the second gen is more reliable than the first, i bought a high mileage second gen 08 that has had almost no issues since I bought it a couple years ago. TPMS Sensors and tires and oil changes are pretty much the only thing thats been done.

maktruk

Observer
I should weigh in...

5d0846f01dde6e6d800b72a825fd1744.jpg

The X is a billygoat, stock, and the Fronty is a mule, lifted and locked. They are basically the same platform and the exact same engine. There are a few differences (the fronty is an underslung rear axle, the X is overslung) They surprise every group I go out on trails with except my Nissan pals.

0d8e383da732a860634ee39a5120093b.jpg
ad996de9700453c0216a28d01061473a.jpg

First of all, I can't fault you for looking at first gens. They are capable. That being said, second gens have more power, more comfort, and generally stronger running gear. Also, more options when you get to looking at pro-4X models.

I will recommend a second gen, with the caveat that you watch out for SMOD (strawberry milkshake of death)

SMOD is a death knell for an Xterra/Frontier transmissions. It is a design flaw combined with a fluid type that creates a situation where radiator fluid is introduced into the transmission, and vice versa. It occurred in second gens from 2005-2010. The problem was solved with a trans fluid prewarmer change and Nissan's OEM synthetic fluid. Nissan stopped fixing them some time ago, and if you catch it before it happens, you can bypass the internal trans warmer (many folks in the Nissan community believe it's a cooler, I'll leave that argument for another time.)

There. The praises of Nissan have been sung. My job is done.

Oh. Btw. If you find a wrecked Titan or Infiniti QX56 the VK56 V8 drops right in and bolts up. There's a guy in the Nissan community that has developed an ECU harness for it and it throws no codes. Check it!

https://youtu.be/fPxYACFkFFE

Last edited:

Capercrew02

Observer
I personally have a 2005 cc frontier as a dd, used it stock as a weekend warrior for a few years on forest service roads, mild off-road, ect. Very capable even in 2wd. Then I purchased a 1999 jeep wj grand Cherokee. Have you considered these cars? While not available with a manual, the auto trans in the v8 is as bulletproof As they come. Room is fantastic for overlanding, suspension is incredibly capable, aftermarket is growing by the day, and they can be had with 100-150k miles for under 4K in clean conditions, leaving a great deal of room for mods. I'm currently sitting right at your 8k budget with mine, which now had a 4 1/2" long arm lift, 32"tires, factory lockers front and rear, front bumper and winch, rear bumper purchased but not installed, and rock sliders. Roof rack, ect. Far more comfortable than an xj or first gen xterra, and almost unlimited potential with upgrades with the fr & rear solid axles with coils. Best of all most were family cars that hardly ever saw off-road or abuse. I spent two years researching an expo rig and came to the conclusion that for my needs (seem similar to yours ) the wj was the best bang for buck without sacrificing capability.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Speaking for the 1st Gen Xterras, they're easy to work on. Cheap to lift. Reliable. If you end up with one, check out the "PML" (poor man's lift) which will give you a couple inches of suspension lift; try to avoid the cheap body lifts. Check for timing belts on the higher mileage trucks. Throw some all-terrain tires on it and fits all your criteria :)

Plains Drifter

I drive a 2001 XTerra XE4WD auto. No mods, just 31" ATs on SE wheels.

I did the timing belt/ water pump for the 2nd time at 190k. It now has 230k on it and it has never missed a beat. It is a rock solid, reliable truck with nothing other than routine maintenance.

Before the X, I drove a 95 Pathfinder SEV6 4WD. Also with no mods other than t-bar crank and 31s. I've always been very happy with Nissan.

I don't do any hard core wheeling, but my trucks are daily drivers that double as family camping, fishing, exploring rigs.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in an X.

hansolex

Thought of a Land Cruiser?

Actually, yes. Glad you asked. I've been hunting and there's not much out there. Missed out on a bunch of trucks cuz they sold almost instantly. So it's been a slow search, but I'm still working on it.

Wanted to ask anyone still following this: drove an FJ80 yesterday, 1991 with 233k miles. Think I could get it for $2500. Pros are: clean body, no rust, fairly clean interior, strong engine. Cons: lots of play in steering, brake pedal slightly soft, Cruiser clunk, really ugly hood scoop hacked on, and a slight exhaust leak (possibly at the collector, didn't sound like a header leak to me). And who knows what else? I couldn't evaluate the transfer case or rear end.

Wondering how sideways that one could go. I could get it cheap, yes, and I sure liked driving it. Concerned if it needs a ton of driveline work it might really hurt. I think there's no way it could be worth more than $5k even if I restored it from this condition, so what's the chance it'll need >$2500 worth of work? OTOH I'd be down with a reliable, clean Cruiser I've got $5k into in total.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles