Thinking of the future...

Oobray

Adventurer
Well, my truck's main duty is to haul this and the family

But I'm a pretty avid deer hunter. In the last couple years I've had this truck it's actually surprised me with it's off road / mud capability even without a lift. Just the cooper STT tires and I haven't stuck this thing yet!! So in Oklahoma the Ouchita National Forest is completely open to hunting. It's chalk full of old forest roads to access the 800,000 acres of hunting freedom. But, that got me thinking... What do I need for myself and another adult to camp out of the yukon for a few days and be able to comfortably handle the extra needs of hunting and harvesting game. Here's my list so far...

1. Sturdy roof rack to stock things like, ice chests, hoists for skinning game, tarps, poles, tree stands etc. This way I can conserve interior room for sleeping area.
2. The truck currently has 265/75/16 and I'd like to get some 285/75 or 255/85 on there. I don't want to prematurely wear the CV's by lifting it too much though. Plus, like I said before, this thing has already impressed me with its capability and the current coopers still have prob %60 tread left. I know some hard core off roaders don't necessarily like the G80, but man, when I feel that thing hook up and the truck pulls, it's awesome!
3. Winch with multi-mount
4. I'd also like to add some white LEDs front and rear as well as on each side. and run some kind of dual battery set up where the second batt powers all the lights but charges from the alternator. Is that possible?

Now, the next part, which is really a luxury item, but really helps out when cleaning game. I'd like to find some way of having water to rinse off stuff. It seems like I've seen someone before plumb up a hot/cold water system using the vehicles heater box. Anyone with insight on this?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Storage forum has a ton of topics about heat exchangers, on-board water storage, including shower nozzles and taps with electric pumps. one nice system in particular had a circulation pump and a heat exchanger whereby the stored water was basically heated while driving the vehicle, thus you arrive ready for a hot shower.

You could even add a hitch-mounted bar / pulley setup to use as a deer dressing station.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Cool, I have pretty much the same trailer. 2012 264BH. How does the 8.1 do with the fuel consumption while towing?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Showers can be simplified by using a 2 gallon garden sprayer. replace the short flexible line with some stout,longer tubing from O'Reilly's/NAPA. Next shorten the wand a bit using tubing to join the shortened nozzle portion.
Mix cool with hot water from a pan or coffee pot.
You can wash your hair and body using a minimal of water. Mine's going on 15 yrs now. When in Baja and water's scarce we use it exclusively.
If water's a non-issue I fire up the water heater on the Northstar and use the supplied sprayer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94