GPS problems

Zeiderman

Adventurer
I'm puzzled by what the OP seems to be trying to achieve. Where's the recreation and fun in having a box squawk at you for a 'wrong turn', when you are OFF-roading. The whole point on being out there is to take the road less traveled. To explore. I would think off-road nav is so you can see where you are, see where you want to wind up, and see what is in between. Not lay down a route and rigidly adhere to it. Or have a machine nag you about it.

dashtablet06_zpsqmuxbamq.jpg
tabletbracket14_zpsj3ruub4g.jpg

Well, as I stated I don't want a machine to nag me on the trail, I have tablet with (for now) BCN loaded up. I do want someting that can get me where I need to go to get to said trail, forest road.....whatever. The question I was looking into is there a GPS stand alone system, as I asked earlier, and given examples of, that is accurate with out an internet connection, so i can let my phone and tablet take on other duties besides getting me to where I want to be.

That being said and doing some research, I think I will just stick with my Tomtom, I have ran it side by side my iphone and my galaxy, that its probably close enough to get me where I want to go. And if need be, its nothing to double check with the phone. It just seems odd that a stand alone GPS isnt a little more accurate. Thank you for all the replies and I will be lloking further into all the suggestions you posted.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I think all standalone GPS units are inferior to what smartphone/tablets do now. Especially since some are still charging for updated maps; honestly, it's not the 1990's anymore.

You probably already have a smartphone, and the maps and updates are free, the only drawback is the battery life which is a minor issue when you switch to airplane mode if it leaves the car.
Personally I use Google maps to get me to the trail head since the traffic data is invaluable in town. Their routes cache with limited knowledge of side roads if you take a wrong turn. Although honestly, I still have paper maps out just for the fun of it; it's far more enjoyable to roadtrip using a paper map. Google is just there for convenience.
Once I go offroad I use Backcountry Navigator. Part of my pre-trip prep is making up routes and POI in Google My Maps and they can be imported to overlay the BCN map. Also remember to cache the BCN map tiles you'll need before leaving since you probably won't have data.
BCN can track your route so you can upload that back to My Maps when you get home to share the trip you made.
If your pictures are geotagged and you upload them to Google Photos you can also import that data to your trip on My Maps and create a single map with everywhere you went and every picture taken on the way.

MOguy

Explorer
Well, as I stated I don't want a machine to nag me on the trail, I have tablet with (for now) BCN loaded up. I do want someting that can get me where I need to go to get to said trail, forest road.....whatever. The question I was looking into is there a GPS stand alone system, as I asked earlier, and given examples of, that is accurate with out an internet connection, so i can let my phone and tablet take on other duties besides getting me to where I want to be.

That being said and doing some research, I think I will just stick with my Tomtom, I have ran it side by side my iphone and my galaxy, that its probably close enough to get me where I want to go. And if need be, its nothing to double check with the phone. It just seems odd that a stand alone GPS isnt a little more accurate. Thank you for all the replies and I will be lloking further into all the suggestions you posted.

Get the app HERE and try it out. I like it better than my Tom Tom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94