Mitsubishi gearbox

fg4oz

Adventurer
Just wondering if you guys have had any gearbox issues and could tell me your thoughts on the cause.

Last Friday I reversed my truck out of a driveway. I only got 3 metres and the whole truck stopped like someone had ripped up the handbrake. On inspection the gearbox had jammed up and apparently selected two gears. I sent it in to Mitsubishi and they pulled the gearbox apart and said the nut that holds a shaft in position had worked itself loose. Now I'm not familiar with how gearboxes are assembled but I do understand that. For the last 10,000km I have noticed an increase in slack in the gear lever. To the point where when driving on the highway and I take my foot off the accelerater the gear stick would jump to the other side of the cab(not really that far!). I raised this with our mechanic during the past two services and on the phone and he said it was normal wear and tear but I always found it odd. It's only done 125000km and I've driven the last 120000km. The guys who did the gearbox rebuild said that was a sure sign of gearbox issues.

$5k poorer for this I'm a little disappointed it was never picked up by our mechanic as being an issue. Now the rebuild is done there is no play in the gear stick.

I have no explanation as to what can cause this. Is it bad luck, is it pressure from taking it off road? Mitsubishi guy said it could be from taking it off road???

Keen to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Ben.

fg4oz

Adventurer
Yes good reason to look around but problem is finding a new one. Someone familiar with our sort of trucks.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Not caused by taking it off road. Like said it has just come undone, shouldn't happen but has. Unless there was other damage done to the box when it locked up, you wouldn't have needed to have it rebuilt because that is very little mileage for the box. Learn to work on the truck yourself, it is not hard but some of it is heavy.

Dan.

HazMan

Observer
I went looking for a quote to rebuild my gearbox (ex NSW Railways truck) recently and was quoted $4,700 for new synchros on 2nd and 3rd, new 5th gear to get rid of whine and all new bearings and seals. "Plus whatever else we find inside once it is apart"

With some searching I found a brand new, still on the Mitsubishi pallet, gearbox. Complete (bell housing including thrust bearing, gearbox, transfer case and hand brake) for $5,500.

If anyone is interested there is one last gearbox brand new left for this price.

Sean

Gear Box

I had syncro issues with my 94 Canter which is a common issue with these so I was told after ringing around gear box repair shops. I did not have the time to do myself so had done in Brisbane . This was about 3 years ago . Had gearbox removed ,rebuilt and refitted with a new clutch for around 2 grand.
I thought that was a fair deal. It has been brilliant ever since.

vwalan

i had trouble in spain with my canter fe649 i only had 4th gear . managed to drive on about 1000mls to santander . catch the ferry to uk and almost got home . i was towing my mini artic trailer camper. in the end the clutch went . i got a tow home by a friend with his truck.
i bought a new g,box brand new 1800pounds uk from k.s. international in ruislip uk and a clutch fitted it myself . that was 7 years ago so far fingers crossed all ok . i have heard of g,box problems but it seems once you do something even fit new the trouble never comes back . i do hope it doesnt .
i never stripped mine but i,m told it was possibly a bearing on one of the shafts . seems its common . i still have the old box might get round to looking one day.but dont go anywhere with out k.s. internationals tel no. 0044 2088427567 if in europe they will send things to you.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I find myself having issues with my 4th gear synchro. How easy/difficult are these gearboxes to rebuild? For now, I'm just working on my double-clutching skills. :)

canter tourer

Adventurer
I find myself having issues with my 4th gear synchro. How easy/difficult are these gearboxes to rebuild? For now, I'm just working on my double-clutching skills. :)

I have the same issue, seems to be a common complaint. Mine is fine when it's cold, shifts easily from 3rd to 4th, but once warm the trouble starts and it has to be done a bit slower, which is a right pain given the massive gap in gearing from 3rd to 4th.
Has anyone tried or got a recommendation on a better g/box oil that may help??
Dave

kerry

Expedition Leader
Had those same syncro problems on mine. Honed my double clutching skills for a few years then tired of it. Had the tranny rebuilt at the Fuso dealer in Longmont, CO. Been fine so far. I think it was around $3k (I may have listed the exact price in a thread here somewhere) which included a new clutch.

HazMan

Observer
Just had a brand new gearbox installed in my 2002 after getting tired of crunching up and being unable to go down into 3rd. Plus a very noisy whine in 5th.

What a difference! So much quieter in the cab overall and easy to drive.

Next......turbo time!

Sean

canter tourer

Adventurer
Just had a brand new gearbox installed in my 2002 after getting tired of crunching up and being unable to go down into 3rd. Plus a very noisy whine in 5th.

Next......turbo time!

Sean

In a word, jealous:drool:
Dave

Aussie Iron

Explorer

Next......turbo time!

Sean

Sounds good, it will make so much difference.

Dan.

HazMan

Observer
I am booked in with Turbo Glide down in Wollongong for the turbo.

Has anyone else used them?

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94