Which e350?

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Idaho, you must have a really light foot or just lucky. I've owned 2 E350's with a 351. One without OD got 9 mpg and one with OD got 12. My current high top with the 5.4l gets 12-13 mpg. I towed a car on a trailer a couple times and it handled it no problem, so adding some interior weight shouldn't be an issue for it.

I don't know how you guys get these MPG figures. I've owned several vans over the years in different variations and the best I could ever get was 13. I did get 16 once on a Quigley 4x4 E250, but I had a strong tail wind.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I had a 2005 E350 v10 and once it was tuned buy five star I used to get 17 miles per gallon highway with cruise control on at posted limit.

My advice for buying a van and get the newest one you could possibly afford because once you're done building it they're not going to want to get rid of it.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Maybe a light foot, but its what Ive seen.

All rigs were older than the 1995

All 351W, with E40D auto.

All with 4:10 gears.

And all 2wd

Might very well have a good deal to do with tuning.

IIRC, the rigs I had were all speed-density, not mass-air.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Do some googling on pre-05 V-10 spark plug issues.

Two Excursions, one w/3.73 and other w/4.10 and a CC F-250 w/3.73. All 4x4. All of them could do an EASY 14 on the highway w 15-15.5 if I were trying a bit hard to get it.

Never had a lick of spark plug trouble with any of them and they were all pre '05. Actually, never had any serious trouble at all. COP here and there, IAC here and there, but no serious trouble ever. Don't think I ever had to replace anything sub 100k.

Great engine series. I'd say one of Fords best because not only do you get the power/torque you get excellent longevity as well.

The 5.4 I had was in an F-150 and while it was great in that truck and within the limits of that truck, it wasn't on a par with the 6.8 in any of the other packages.

With all that said they do start to get thirsty under load. My excursion with the 3.73s managed about 8.5 mpg average when hauling my 8500# camper. My 6.4 diesel managed about the same, Maybe a touch better, hauling almost exactly double the weight.

Anyway, I'd have another 6.8 in a heartbeat. A 351/460/ not so much.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Find lower mile vans - those all have a lot of miles to start a build out on, unless you are prepared to pay for major mechanical repairs in the not too distant future.

deezdrama

Adventurer
Im going to go look at the 96 351. I talked to the guy. He got it to turn into a camper but ended up with a motorhome. Said the previous owner had engine replaced with a newer lower mileage 351 and rebuilt the trans then it was kept in a barn.

My question is. If i put a 2" lift block in the rear and the 2" leveling spacer upfront could I fit 33" tires? A little fender cutting is ok...i can weld and do body work.
Would just a 2" spacer upfront throw off alignment?

I only plan to drive this to local campgrounds a few times a year.

Thanks guys!

Oh.... also, any info on what type/lug/size rims and tires I should start looking for?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Stock rubber should be about a 31" tire.
I think you'd be able to fit a 33 in there without any mods.
Maybe a bit of fender trimming.

Id certainly do that first, and not bother with the trouble of a lift/leveling kit if I could get away with it.

Stock wheels are 8x6.5 bolt pattern and size 16"x6.5"

hyperboarder

Adventurer
My 92 351 RB E250 averages a bit shy of 13mpg on the highway. I've gotten it down to 9.5 when towing fully loaded at speed and up to 15 with a tailwind and a light load.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
We had a F150 with a 351 on the farm. It was used, abused, and neglected. The motor kept going and going, despite the rough life it lived. I'd not hesitate to buy a rig with a 351.

Body work and rust will burn through time and funds like you wouldn't believe. You don't want to rush into things and buy the wrong rig.

deezdrama

Adventurer
I do believe im going to go for the 2002 with the v10. Im planning to go check it out fri and buy it if it doesnt have any red flags that pop out. Its the newest /lowest mile rig I can find and the best price and see no signs of surface rust (which usually indicates rot from the inside if you see it at the surface) Its also the best looking one in my opinion and think I want a steath/windowless e350 which this fits the bill.

The bad side is that it has a miss. Im looking at this and praying that its just an opportunity for me to get a decent rig at a good discount since the owner has several of these vans and tells me hes not a mechanic and doesnt want to spend the cash to fix them.

Im sure changing plugs will be a job on one of these but i can take my time doing it since its not like its my everyday driver.

From my research..... these e350s with the v10 6.8 are 2v and its the 3v that have the dreaded plugs that break apart. Can anyone confirm this? Its basically the 5.4l with 2 extra cylinders from what ive read and I had no problems at all changing plugs and cops on the ol ladies nav with the 5.4l.

If the v10 has any engine noises or signs of neglect or bad rust or anything I will go with plan b and go check out the 96 with the 351 w.

Ive had pretty good luck with the 3 modular ford vehicles I own now so if the 6.8 v10 is similar I think it should be pretty reliable if maintained.

Before I even spend time or money doing the inside I plan to seafoam the crap out of it. A can in the gas and a can in the vacuum and let it sit a few days. Then go drive it a while. Park it. Break the plugs loose. Pb blaster in the plug wells....sit for a couple days.
Then hopefully change the plugs and cops without issues,change oil,fuel filter, air filter, clean mass air.... maybe flush coolant and trans fluid depending how they look.
By then ill probably have another $500 into it and will be able to tell if its going to be reliable or not before commiting to the build.
I may get a 5 gallon bucket of fluid film and treat the undercarriage and inside the panels as well to stop any rust takeover.

If I absolutely should go for the 351 w hightop e350 please let me know. I just figure I should go for the newest one with least miles if theres no sign of major mechanical issues.

Thanks again guys!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Price and age shouldn't be the first consideration. You'll be into the v10 for more in no time.

At 6'4", I wouldn't want to be in a standard height van. The 5'6" I've got is doable, but 4'6" no way for me. The big question in my mind would be, high top or standard height. You've Goig a limited budget, so adding a high top later would cost you a lot of time and/or money. Is a high top part of your final build or no?

deezdrama

Adventurer
20160520_171340.jpgWell... i bought the 2002 v10 e350. I figured because of the miss he described ....and from past experience with my 07 crown vic interceptor. That a miss will likely cause clogged cats. First thing I asked the seller was if he checked to see if the cats were glowing. He told me his buddy said the same thing and cut a hole in the front cat.
I get under the van and check things out. Someone did a hack job on the cats. Exhaust was still cut right after the cat on the y pipe. The front passenger upstream cat had a square cut out, but instead of a hollow cat there was a dummy pipe inside. The driver side cat was intact and rear cat intact. So at some point I believe they ran codes and suspected pass bank as a problem.
The body is pretty good. Small dent under driver side mirror, a little surface rust under doors. Nothing major.
Frame and undercarriage look solid. Not a drop of visable leaking fluids.
Go to the rear cargo area.... muddy... he used it to haul dirt bikes.
I pull back the rubber flooring, quite a bit of rust. Corners almost rotted out but from the underside looks good. He must of put dirtbikes in there while dripping wet. Padding under the rubber flooring was damp. Check the roof, looks great...no indication of a leak.

I then check out a few other cargo vans he has (hes a satellite installer business owner) he had a 351 w extended with a little body damage, a 5.4 beat to hell, another 5.4 newer that wasnt for sale, and a v6 e150 with 500k miles and still going strong!

We go back to the v10. I check the fluids then start her up. No problem starting. Sounded like a diesel because of the hackjob on the cat that im still trying to figure out why they just werent gutted or pipe welded in.
IHe wanted 1500 and had him down to 1200 via email. Ask if he will take 1000. He said no cause he had 3k into it.
He takes 1100 and im off back to the city.
I was in a rush to negotiate and check the vans out the whole time because my nephew who was driving my car back had to be back for his sisters graduation.
So for the 30 mile trip back it drove good but definatelly had no power. Felt like i was running on 8 or 9 cylinders (v10). Took a good length of time to get up to 70 but had no issues on the interstate. Get back to my town and driving light to light had my nerves shot. It died once and going uphill about killed it everytime. I had to keep a foot on the gas slightly.
My nephew who trailed me said he didnt smell gas .... Its definately missing but once it seemed to snap out of it for a few and drove good.

It felt just like my 4.6l crown vic when it had a failed cop, no cel light on that car so thought it was bad gas.. after a couple days the cats were glowing cherry red. Had to gut the cats, put in mechanical o2 mil eliminators i made and replace all plugs and cops. After that ......that 07 vic interceptor has been running like a champ and sounds great with 2 chamber welded thrush mufflers and gutted cats......
Anyway.... this v10 e350 feels like that did with failing coils/plugs.

So.... before i tear into the interior and body, i need to get it running right and make sure its reliable.
There is a check engine light on.
Heres my gameplan. Take it to parts store to run codes (my obd2 scanner took a dump on me)
Seafoam the gas and vacuum and let sit.
Order/change plugs (motorcraft) and coils (amazon cheepies that ive used in my other 3 ford modular vehicles with 0 issues)
New fuel filter
Oil change
Maybe new o2 sensors
Fuel injector cleaner and premium gas for good measure
Clean mass air
Check the vacuum under the tb for dry rot.

Hopefully by that time it will be running good and ill delete cats and weld in pipe. I dont understand the one side cat hackjob that was done on this. Will it be safe to run just exhaust manifolds while im troubleshooting? I always heard just not to do it in cold weather....is that right?

Once i get the engine issues straightened I will tackle the de-rusting....undercarriage treatment and then campervan interrior.

Does this gameplan sound good or is there any other suggestions?

Last edited:

deezdrama

Adventurer
20160520_204716.jpgOuch!.... i should of pulled the whole rubber flooring out.
:(

Not looking good. The seller mentioned something about previous owner being a pool supply guy. Must of had constant moisture or chemical contact or just the midwest winter salts.
The odds are stacking against me right now.

What do you think? Is it worth messing with?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke