How important to "see" your radio faceplate?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Hmmm... I just decided to re-up my HAM license after being almost 4 years expired, and at least 8 years without a radio in my vehicle. Back in the college days, I had old rigs, and mounting something was mostly an exercise in trying to find enough rust-free metal to hold a few screws. Now, in cab aesthetics are a little more important, and I'm not trying to achieve the tactical-nerd-geek-chic look anymore.

I really don't think that most of the HAM / CB mount locations I've seen are all that great for my JKU.

That brings me to a question... How important do you find it to visually see your faceplate from the driving position? I've been thinking about putting the radios under the drivers seat. Most of the trail runs, events, races, search call outs, etc... that I've been on are usually run on pre-assigned channels. It seems like generally, one could set the frequencies assigned at the drivers meeting and only worry about working the mic while moving. in fact, I don't think I've ever NEEDED to change channels while driving. It seems like having to step out and look under the seat to do this would not be a big deal?

I know there are many radios available now with remote mount faceplates, but even fitting a faceplate into a crowded dash is likely to offend my sense of order and associated happiness.

Any thoughts? I'm open to discussion pro and con.

Thanks. -Nate

Frdmskr

Adventurer
It's a personal preference. I like to see there note head of the rig but not in direct line of sight. I keep it where a glance from the corner of my eye allows me to see what is needed while not distracting me.

For planned events having frequencies in memory is great. Just know that at times you will need to use a repeater output or an odd frequency on the fly. In those cases seeing the radio head easily and knowing the controls am really help. If you need mounting ideas for the head most JKs I see use a rammount or similar on the windshield or dash, FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AaronK

Explorer
I constantly have my radio scanning local repeaters so it's handy being able to see my display so I know where it landed when it picks up a signal. Beyond that,I rarely look at it while driving.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Pre-assigned channel or not, you will still likely be making frequent volume and/or squelch adjustments... Having the radio under the seat (w/o a remotable head) will likely make this more difficult.

Chuck59

Observer
Never really gave it much thought, but when I installed my radio I remember getting it set just right, so I could see the faceplate. Never even considered mounting it in such a way where I wouldn't be able to see it.

Blender

Adventurer
If you'll be running ham and CB simultaneously you may want to be able to see one faceplate to tell which radio is active. It's usually pretty easy to tell based on sound quality, but I commonly glance at the ham display to verify.

I rarely adjust either radio while out wheeling. Ham is in sight because its a complex radio, but CB lives behind the console.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I mounted the CB under the driver seat. I set it before the event and I can reach down and control the squelch or the volume while driving. Post #136 on page 14 should give you an example of my setup.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/6947-Gear-s-Baja-JK-Thread/page14

I also mounted a Yaesu 8800 removable faceplate radio just behind the CB. The faceplate is mounted just forward of the automatic shifter below the center stack controls. Mic hangs from a holder that is 3M adhesived next to the radio. I use a auxiliary speaker that is hidden just above my left ear under the roll bar fabric. If you unzip the roll bar fabric you can cut a 3"x3" square in the hard foam and squeeze it in there. Hidden and works great. Unfortunately I skimmed thru my build thread and did not notice an update showing the HAM radio install.

With all of this said I would really ask yourself if you need a CB. I have not used one in years and would not personally put one in my next vehicle. Everyone I know is a HAM operator. Hope this helps.

lugueto

Adventurer
For me, it is. My radio is not in direct line of sight, I have to look down to see what frequency/channel i'm on, but it is easily visible if needed. If you happen to forget to lock your radio or mic, you can accidentally switch your frequency or channel without knowing and probably won't notice until your radio goes silent for long enough or your convoy flashes you. If you can't see your radio, then you won't even be able to adjust volume/sql easily.

while on the road on Saturday I was on a convoy transmitting simplex, we decided to switch frequencies since the one we were using was occupied by locals and when doing so I realized that I had a few settings to move because I was using a saved frequency. This was a hassle while driving, I can't imagine how much harder it would be if the radio weren't as easily accessible.

jjmoss99

Observer
I'm always switching memory channels while i'm traveling. In our area we have a linked repeater system that I monitor quite often. While moving through the region, depending on the area, one repeater will offer better coverage than another. Even on my way to work I have two different repeaters on the same linked system that I often switch between. When I reach the top of the grade above town I switch to the other repeater for better coverage into the valley. I couldn't imagine having the face plate hidden from view.

Justin

Maxcustody

Explorer
Here is mine on the jeep

6bf5cdfe7fc6ebd4ab5cccd83d00cbc8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

wirenut

Adventurer
I would never consider putting the face out of sight. But I do like to tune around, scan, check the weather frequency, etc. If I need more power I'll turn it up. When I don't need the power I turn it back down.
If nothing else consider this, if you're sitting on your mic and transmitting dead air how will you know if you can't see the face?

Robert Bills

Explorer
Not only do I want to be able to see my Ham faceplate, my preference is a location where I do not have to take my eyes off the road to see it.

I plan to relocate mine just above the rear view mirror.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Well, thank you all. I take the point about seeing the radio, I'm looking at the various remote face options right now. I have a gap between the Spod and the rear view that can probably take the faceplate with a little searching for the right shape and size.

The radio itself can go under the seat, along with the cb. I think that can stay down there without much issue. right now I'm running that Cobra 75 that has all of the controls and everything on the mic. I hate it, so it will be swapping for a simple but decent unit, probably a Uniden Pro 510XL. I hope I should be able to learn 3 knobs by touch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94