Toyota 4runner or Jeep XJ

Highway Camper

I bought a stock 2001 XJ with <100K on it. Spent a bunch on it. Dana 44 rear and high pinion 30 front with 4.10's and soft lockers F&R. Lifted 5.5 inches and 31's. It was a cool jeep and a real head turner. MPG sucked and not a real great long highway vehicle. They tend to overheat and the electrical on them is not the greatest. They will take a beating and will do good in some rough 4x4 roads. Sold it. Will not have another. The Wrangler JK's are just sooo much better but the $$$ are also way up there.
My advice on a XJ,,, don't over lift it stay under 3 inches. Get rocker sliders. It will do well as a overlander if you keep it simple and don't expect Rubicon Trail out of it. The engine will do 200K easy and the trans is very strong.

4x4junkie

Explorer
For you guys suggesting the Explorer can you narrow down the years that are considered best?

"Best" might depend to some extent on what the intended use is/how far you want to go with it, but anything from 1991 to 2010 has potential as a practical choice for an "overland" rig...

'91-'94 has the best off-road attributes. The Twin-Traction-Beam front suspension is easily buildable and can run circles around most other rigs if you build it right (yes, even the XJ too).
The 4.0L V6 engine is reliable as dirt when maintained (300K+ miles is very easy to achieve, reports of 500K+ exist too).
The A4LD automatic trans hasn't the best track record, however the factory in-radiator cooler is mostly to blame here (allows the trans to chronically run hot). An external auxiliary cooler on the return line should bring reliability to normal, if not above average levels (and of course there is the M5OD stickshift available too, which is an excellent trans, save for a slightly tallish 3.40:1 1st gear).
Aftermarket is quite good, especially for the axles & differentials. If you plan to get into anything technical such as rock crawling, these would be the ones to look for.

'95-'01 ('95-'03 Sport) lost the venerable TTB suspension to an A-arm IFS w/torsion bars (leaves only a couple of drop-in locker options available, such as the Powertrax No-Slip).
A 5.0L V8 became available, but with AWD only. A two-speed case from a F-150 is a very easy swap. The SOHC 4.0L V6 appearing alongside the OHV 4.0L for '97 is known for timing chain issues, though I believe updated chain guides from the '04-'11 Ranger 4.0L can be retrofitted.
Like the A4LD, the 4R55E (and later, 5R55E) trans on V6 models suffered the same lack of adequate cooling (again an aux cooler will pay big dividends in transmission reliability). The V8 has a 4R70W trans which seems to have a somewhat better track record on it's own than the V6 transmissions (w/o an aux cooler) do. For '01 the OHV V6 became unavailable, along with the M5OD manual for 4-door models.

'02-'05 (4-door) brought forth IRS, and the 5.0L V8 gave way to a 4.6L OHC V8. The vehicle also grew larger in size. The Dana35 IFS differential was replaced with a Dana "Super 30" IFS diff. This opened back up a much greater selection of lockers for the front axle. The IRS, with it's 8.8" centersection, continued to enjoy a wide selection of available lockers (though some might possibly need slight machining of the side gears to fit the IRS axle circlips). V6 models continued to offer a two-speed T-case, and V8 models only AWD (but still also the possibility of swapping in the F-150 two-speed case). Auto transmissions remained mostly unchanged. The M5OD manual reportedly reappeared for 2002 on V6 models, but has not been seen since.

'06-'10 saw some changes in styling and a slight further growth in size, but overall functionally is similar to the '02-'05 models.

'11-current can be considered the final demise of the Explorer as an offroad-capable vehicle. It is now a car-based unibody SUV with light-duty underpinnings and no low range at all. A sad end to a great truck that never really got the recognition it deserved in the offroad world.

×2 on www.therangerstation.com. Pretty much anything you want to know about modifying and maintaining an Explorer (or a Ranger or Bronco II for that matter) is there. Hundreds of articles of all aspects contributed by a very active community going back to before 1999.

PHeller

Adventurer
Good info in that post. The thing is really like about the idea of an Explorer Expedition vehicle is:

- Cheap buy in. You can find really nice example for under $3,000.
- Relatively powerful V8 with some of the best heads available stock from Ford.
- Simple repairs.
- Plentiful parts both OEM and aftermarket.

The thing I keep coming back to is the relative simplicity of the 5.0L V8 with decent power (210 HP at Flywheel) and lots of mods available to unlock a few more HP and MPG. Heck, even a bigger exhaust, high flow cat and intake can net a few extra bits of power.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
What makes the explorer so appealing to me is that they sold a ton of these things. Parts are everywhere. You will never have a problem getting parts from a store. You can always find good parts in a Pull Apart. I upgraded the seats in my Bronco from the Mercury version of the explorer I found in a Pull Apart.

MrWesson

Adventurer
It's shallow and has no basis in reality but my gut feeling when seeing a modified Explorer is...

Redneck mud truck..(no offense intended just can't find a better description)

That doesn't make them inferior in any way and like I said just a gut feeling based on my time spent in the woods.

You can modify them to have great articulation/power/traction but by the time you do all that it goes from DD to offroad toy which doesn't fit well with overlanding.. And if left stock for road comfort don't fit very well for offroad either..

XJINTX

Explorer
I'm an XJ owner... one for Expo and one to trailer to the parks. BUT have you looked for or at the Grand Cherokee? Better seating and storage optional bigger motor and all around good vehicle. Not as much but a lot of aftermarket support too. Will go anywhere most expo drivers desire!

PHeller

Adventurer
You can modify them (Explorers) to have great articulation/power/traction but by the time you do all that it goes from DD to offroad toy which doesn't fit well with overlanding.. And if left stock for road comfort don't fit very well for offroad either..

Isn't that the case with pretty much everything out there?

Good shocks, small lift, slightly larger tires. There is no vehicle out there that will rock crawl and be an awesome highway cruiser. Especially at lower entry prices.

Barb The Yeti

Observer
I'm an XJ owner... one for Expo and one to trailer to the parks. BUT have you looked for or at the Grand Cherokee? Better seating and storage optional bigger motor and all around good vehicle. Not as much but a lot of aftermarket support too. Will go anywhere most expo drivers desire!

I would agree. The Grand cherokee might be a great option for you as well. They don't have the same aftermarket as the XJ, but there are still plenty of parts out there. The V8's on the grand cherokees are also very entising, but in my experience, the 4.0 has been enough power, as long as you arent planning to tow anything more than a dirtbike or 2.

LUGS

OP, for what its worth, I don't know about the Jeep but I own a 3rd gen 4Runner. Loaded up with a small lift, heavier bumpers, and the bigger tires you will probably put on to match the lift, you will be lucky to achieve 15mpg - if that matters to you. Plus these 4Runners have small fuel tanks - about 70 litres. That being said, if you are looking for a 4Runner, you should have no problem finding one in BC. Plenty around and for relatively cheap. Visit the 4Runner forum - that place is a wealth of info :Wow1:

tlrols

I own a 1997 4Runner.

Pros:
Its agile.
Great after market support.
You can sleep a six foot tall person in the back.
Build quality is solid.
It performs well off road in stock condition, modest upgrades make it better.
Want more power? Super charge it.

Cons:
All 3rd gen 4Runners are getting old...it will need maintenance.
15 gallon gas tank. Very annoying. Plan accordingly if you get a 4Runner. I bring a 20 liter (5 gallon) can with me off roading.
Lower ball joints fail catastrophically. If you buy a 3rd Gen 4Runner replace the lower ball joints (it is easy) ASAP with OME lower ball joints. Replace them as preventative maintenance every 75,000 miles or so.
You might find it small.
If you tow it might feel underpowered (supercharging is the easiest fix)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94