Anthony's trailer project

anthony1

I thought I'd start a thread to keep progress of my trailer.

This is what it looks like when I bought it for 100 bucks.

Trailer_before2.jpg

Trailer_before1.jpg

Rust removed and painted

trailer_paint1.jpg

trailer_paint2.jpg

Got a used FlipPac for 400.00 ....no mattress, broken torsion bar and cracked lid. I took it to the Flip Pac manufacturer in Riverside,CA. They did a great job replacing parts and then some.

trailer_FlipPac_on.jpg

Right now, I'm in the process of building a deck inside so I can sleep on top while my kids sleep on the FlipPac with an air mattress.

top_panel_off.jpg

top_panel_on.jpg

left_side_pocket.jpg

This is the battery I'm using to power lights and my CPAP machine. I think it should last for couple of nights of camping.

Trailerbatt.jpg

Last edited:

Joanne

Adventurer
Anthony,

Your project shows that with some ingenuity and elbow grease, you don't have to spend a bundle to have a nice little camping trailer. It sure looks like the tongue is well built (maybe that's an understatement). You can use it as water / gas / "stuff" storage, but I'd watch that your tongue weight doesn't get too heavy. Keep posting progress photos.

Joanne

anthony1

Thanks for the comments.
I will eventually replace the stock truck axle with trailer axle with brakes. So far, the major expense is the FlipPac and this built.
I'm in the process of putting in carpet that I have left over from replaced carpet in the house about 4-5 yrs ago. ( pack rat pays off....:) ) I'm just gluing it on to the wood with trim added to the edge so the edge won't become frail later on.
I've also cut the top panel in unequal halves. the larger half I'm using it to make a table so we can play cards or whatever at night. It'll have three legs, two on the inside attached to the box and one on the other side for ease of sitting.
One thing I have to figure out is how to balance the FlipPac when it's open. When it sits on the truck, there are two rods that clips to the brackets installed between the hood and the fenders. I think I'll install two poles with some weight on the bottom. I want the weight of the lid to be support by the poles to the ground instead of the trailer itself. I think it'll tip over if there's too much weight on the lid of the FlipPac.

Cruiser

Adventurer
ok,, I must ask,, what kind of truck was the trailer? Bed shape looks familiar but cant place it.. And nice project too.. I was looking for one of those tops for a while but they weren't too popular out here..
Looking good!

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I thought Toyota at first, but then saw the reverse COURIER on the tailgate. Pretty cool build. Love the Flip Pac on the trailer. Great idea.

jcbrandon

Explorer
A Japanese compact pickup sold by Ford in the early 70's. Almost identical to the Mazda truck of the time. Except the Mazda was available with a rotary engine.
I taught myself to drive in the dirt in a two-wheel drive Ford Courier. Got stuck a lot and learned to avoid it while still getting where I wanted to go.

anthony1

it's a Ford Courier.....being pull by a Toyota now....:)

I want to replace the axle with trailer axle with brakes soon. There's only 3 of 6 bolts left on each side. There's no brakes on the trailer either.

Cruiser

Adventurer
That should hurt,, cause I'm 39 and I've never seen one,, maybe they stayed on the west coast..

I think they would have been all rotted away like the datsuns by the time I was 10...

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
A friend of mine had a Ford Courier. Drove it until the 'flow-thru' ventilation became too much for the heater to overcome in the mild south left-coast winters. At one point he thought it was done, but it turned out to have NO fins in the radiator. New radiator core got him another couple years of service out of the truck......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94