2012 Fuso OBD II scanguage and Stienbauer module.

kanga1

Observer
Hi guys, we bought a Australian delivered 2012 high range Fuso Canter in Queensland a couple of months ago with an ATW P/C body converted to a camper, ATW wheels and suspension, weighs in about 5.3 Tonnes. The asthmatic 3 litre motor struggled on the hills around home here in Tassie, so I had a Steinbauer module fitted, it has made a big difference to the torque and it climbs hills around home much better, the problem now is the thing surges under a bit of load, almost like the chip is being switched off and then back on again. So with the accelerator fixed in one position the truck will suddenly slow off and then pick up again by itself?????????
I took it to Fuso today they plugged into the OBD port and reset a couple of faults ( for the DPF and the engine warning that came on yesterday for no apparent reason!) but weren't able to do anything about the surging, (it's booked in to the Steinbauer installation mob in Hobart on Wednesday).
Has anyone had anything like this happen to their Fuso?????? Or ideas for a fix???
Anyone know which of the OBD II bluetooth plug ins ( the ones that can send useful info like the EG Temp to a Samsung Galaxy smart phone.)
I've been doing a bit of looking on Google and haven't found anything relevant to the 2012 truck we have, found a fair bit of stuff on MUT but I think that is for older trucks! The tech at Fuso was looking at the EG temps on his laptop so I know the info is there for me to see if I can get the right kit to do it..... Any help???
Cheers, Kanga.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The "getting data from a Fuso" thing has been done on this forum previously. Basically, it would seem that Fuso choose to use their own propitiatory data retrieval method, not the standard OBD-II method.
To that end, scanners that will output useful data are few and far between. This may not be as difficult on your 2012 model, but on my 2010 model it is a real pain.
If you do find something that works, you should post that information here, as I am sure it would be of interest to others.

As for the Steinbauer... these devices are installed post ECU, so the ECU should not even know that it is there. Maybe it has an internal fault or a wiring issue. Do you have it wired to a switch, so you can do on and off tests?

kanga1

Observer
Hi Skifreak, the Steinbauer module is not wired through a switch, it is inline all the time. I have a suspiscion that the the ECU is reading the EGTemps and with the chip making more fuel available the temps may be getting outside the parameters the ECU is comfortable with causing the unit to reduce (momentarily) the fuel supply until the EG temp comes down a bit. It's just a wild guess really, suppose I'll learn more on Wednesday. Will ask the auto leckies that fitted it when they see it on Wednesday if they can tell me if there is a Scangauge or similar that can read the Fuso witchcraft through the OBD port. Will definately post any info in this thread.
Cheers.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have a suspiscion that the the ECU is reading the EGTemps and with the chip making more fuel available the temps may be getting outside the parameters the ECU is comfortable with causing the unit to reduce (momentarily) the fuel supply until the EG temp comes down a bit.

That is a possibility and one that could fairly easily be determined. If the Fuso guys connect up their MUT-III and laptop they could go for a drive with you, monitoring the relevant sensors. If you experience the drop in power they should see that in the live sensor data.
When you see the Steinbauer guys you could always ask them to wire in a switch. This is a very simple process, as the unit comes pre wired for that option. They just have to make the connection and run a pair of wires up to a switch on your dash. Just gives you the choice to have the unit on or off. That's the way I have mine wired up.

Last edited:

Amesz00

Adventurer
I have a suspiscion that the the ECU is reading the EGTemps and with the chip making more fuel available the temps may be getting outside the parameters the ECU is comfortable with causing the unit to reduce (momentarily) the fuel supply until the EG temp comes down a bit. It's just a wild guess really, suppose I'll learn more on Wednesday.

Seems like a fair hypothesis, if that is the case a solution may be to find a boost pressure emulator/controller of some sort to bring AFRs back into check.

kanga1

Observer
That is a possibility and one that could fairly easily be determined. If the Fuso guys connect up their MUT-III and laptop they could go for a drive with you, monitoring the relevant sensors. If you experience the drop in power they should see that in the live sensor data.
When you see the Steinbauer guys you could always ask them to wire in a switch. This is a very simple process, as the unit comes pre wired for that option. They just have to make the connection and run a pair of wires up to a switch on your dash. Just gives you the choice to have the unit on or off. That's the way I have mine wired up.

Hi Skifreak, I watched them fit the module and it looked as if the only way to make it switchable would be to put a switch into the power feed wire, I'd have to ask about if it would work, the loom for the module has replacement connections for each injector with the factory injector connections plugging into the Steinbauer loom.
I'll see what they say. Cheers.

kanga1

Observer
Seems like a fair hypothesis, if that is the case a solution may be to find a boost pressure emulator/controller of some sort to bring AFRs back into check.

Would that mean that boost pressure and fuel delivery are linked, and by limiting the boost fuel delivery can also be limited?
In reality I got this module fitted because the dry weight is quite heavy and the motor somewhat lacking in my opinion, there are quite a few long hills around home in the Huon Valley that previously required third gear to get up, these can be tackled in fourth now but the truck is surging. If I had a switch for the Steinbauer, I'm not really sure when I'd be inclined to use it, on flatish country the surging is impossible to feel if it's happening at all and the truck puts along alright.
We shall see what tomorrow brings at the Lecky...........

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
A switch to turn your Steinbauer on or off may not be something you see as necessary, but I look at it as a means to eliminate a device for fault finding purposes, if nothing else.
Wiring up a switch is a very simple process and is a built in option. Basically, all you need to do is ground the grey wire in the wiring loom to disable the unit. Any on/off switch can be used; you do not need the Steinbauer one.

Steinbauer_Switch.JPG

Amesz00

Adventurer
Would that mean that boost pressure and fuel delivery are linked, and by limiting the boost fuel delivery can also be limited?
In reality I got this module fitted because the dry weight is quite heavy and the motor somewhat lacking in my opinion, there are quite a few long hills around home in the Huon Valley that previously required third gear to get up, these can be tackled in fourth now but the truck is surging. If I had a switch for the Steinbauer, I'm not really sure when I'd be inclined to use it, on flatish country the surging is impossible to feel if it's happening at all and the truck puts along alright.
We shall see what tomorrow brings at the Lecky...........

Not so much boost and fuel, but if the ecu is de-fueling because of high EGTs then a couple extra psi boost should cool it down a bit. Even if that isn't the prob, more fuel without more air can only possibly mean higher EGTs, so a bit more air may be a good thing for its longevity anyway.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Subbing to this thread, I'd like to learn more about that module, and what the issues are. Once my truck is out of warranty, I might be interested enough to drop one in.

Oh, and I can verify that the FUSO bus language can't be read by a regular OBDII module.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Hmmm...more and more tempting. I wonder how well they work with the Duonic, if at all?

Just sent Steinbauer USA an email, I'll post up whatever they reply with.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Just sent Steinbauer USA an email, I'll post up whatever they reply with.

I would be very surprised if Steinbauer USA can help you. As far as I know, they do not sell a module for the Fuso over your way.
The Fuso map for the module that he have access to here in Australia was developed by Diesel Care in Queensland, who are the Australian distributors for Steinbauer.

Maybe a better option is to contact Diesel Care directly. We have the Duonic here too, but not in the 4x4 models.
I helped westyss get a Steinbauer for his FG140. He is in Canada where you cannot get these modules either. I am sure he would confirm that the module he got from Australia works perfectly fine on his truck.

kanga1

Observer
Not so much boost and fuel, but if the ecu is de-fueling because of high EGTs then a couple extra psi boost should cool it down a bit. Even if that isn't the prob, more fuel without more air can only possibly mean higher EGTs, so a bit more air may be a good thing for its longevity anyway.

Thanks for the input Andrew, I'll ask what options there are once the Lecky looks at it tomorrow. Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior