Build Advice

expdood

Need advice on a build, please. Here are my goals:

- Fit/sleep family of four
- Carry four mountain bikes
- Carry a canoe
- Mild off-road use
- Vehicle must fit under 7' (canoe can be higher)

I'd love a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, but don't think it can take the weight of four people on the roof.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Tacoma TRD Off-Road
- Thule rack in bed
- Gear under rack/in bed
- RTT on rack (to stay below cab height line)
- Annex room off back of truck
- Awning to side...not sure it'd be high enough, though
- Canoe on top somehow...rack on cab and it extends back over RTT?
- Four mountain bikes on hitch carrier.

I'm tempted by the new Tacoma Habitat (especially since I will be in rainy places and don't look forward to drying out a tent after), but the cost is likely too high. And the roof itself when closed may be too high.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Any full sized SUV, bikes in a rack, canoe on the roof and a decent tent to sleep in.
I can't think of any vehicle that would sleep 4 people inside and still fit in a standard garage.
If you go the crew-cab PU with RTT I'd urge you to consider full sized (Tundra/Silverado/F-150/Ram) rather than the so-called "Compacts" like the Tacoma or Frontier. What you sacrifice in terms of space and capability is significant, and what you gain in terms of economy is virtually nothing (especially once you start adding all that weight.) ;)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm with Martin.

If you have to sleep inside, you could probably sleep 4 inside a full-size van, if you're cozy. Whether it fits under 7.0' is down to which model and whether you have a roof-rack and only if you don't plan to lift it. (A Chevy Express AWD will just fit under 7', an Econoline will just be over, stock.) My AWD Astro with a GTRV pop-top was under 7' until I lifted it, but those are rare as hen's teeth since GTRV isn't making them anymore, and you couldn't sleep 4 inside an Astro w/o the pop-top.

ramatl73

Observer
Yeah...the only way you could do a Tacoma is to add a expedition trailer with it with a RTT on the trailer. Use the bed of the Tacoma for the bikes (and that's pushing it to put four bikes in the bed).

rcintx

Adventurer
Personally, I would look at the vehicle of your choice and trailer. You could carry all your gear and then have a few different sleeping options. 2 RTT's, 1 RTT and 2 people inside a shell or SUV, etc. Also gives you plenty of options for awnings, annex, etc.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
My E250 will squeeze into a garage without the rack. It will sleep and transport 4 as well and can easily handle a 4 bike rack in the hitch as well. I could probably hang a canoe off the driver side if I got creative too. 2wd, but has the clearance and tires to do some dirt. Might fit your needs and they're not particularly pricey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online