midsize Ford Ranger pickup, Bronco SUV coming in a couple of years ?

justcuz

Explorer
Like Yogi Berra said; Deja Vu all over again!
This subject has been pretty thouroughly covered in another thread.
The Ranger is definitely coming back and will be built in the Detroit area plant the Fusion and Cmax are now made in. Fusion and Cmax production is going to Mexico.
Ford has already said they will be introducing 4 or 5 new SUVs in the next 5 years. I would guess these will be Ford and Lincoln variants of the same platform.
Don't look for a solid axle, a 2 door or removable tops.
4 door Wranglers outsell 2 doors now and that trend is continuing.
Although the solid axle is simple, cheap and easy to modify, Ford has an existing platform in the Ranger/Everest products that will be a global product as opposed to the Troller that I believe is in South America only.
You will have to settle for a sunroof if you want to have the sun on your face.
Ford is letting GM be the Guinea Pig on the mid size pickup, but it will be the other way around if the Everest becomes the new Bronco. If it is successful (which most SUV's and crossovers are these days) all Chevy has to do is bring the Colorado/Canyon stablemate, the Trailblazer to the market.
We here in North America are the last bastion of large light duty trucks and SUV's. Globally it is more cost efficient to build the same or similar vehicles everywhere. Eventually minus a few top selling vehicles, we will be driving pretty much what the rest of the world drives.

haven

Expedition Leader
Last week, UAW chief Bill Johnson told the Detroit Free Press, "...with the Ranger and Bronco coming to Michigan Assembly..." This confirms that Ford is planning to re-enter the midsize pickup market in USA as soon as the plant that currently builds the Focus can be converted to making trucks.

It's most likely the new Ranger will be similar to the Ranger sold worldwide, I.e., a body on frame midsize truck, but the new truck probably won't have an F150-threatening 2500 lb carrying capacity.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
While some of us see the tech crap as just another distraction put in front of an already irresponsible and clueless generation and prefer to buy a vehicle without that extra stuff, each to their own though. Now if only they would get smart and build a Fusion wagon with AWD and a high output Eco Boost we would have a winner, even better if it had a turbo diesel that achieves 40mpg.
We'd probably buy one of those to replace our Jetta wagon that's getting old. We'd also want it without any of the technology junk. Same with a Ranger. If they bring a diesel, stick shift I'd consider it for sure.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We'd probably buy one of those to replace our Jetta wagon that's getting old. We'd also want it without any of the technology junk. Same with a Ranger. If they bring a diesel, stick shift I'd consider it for sure.
I'd be very surprised if they offer it with a manual transmission. In fact, I think it's only a matter of time before Toyota drops the MT option from the Tacoma as well, ditto Nissan and the Frontier. Both for emissions and MPG purposes, having a reliable and predictable auto seems to make more sense as it removes the variable of the driver from the calculation.
Sucks, but that seems to be the way the world is moving. :(

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Also, I'll eat crow and admit that I was wrong about the Ranger coming back, but as far as body-on-frame SUVs, I'm still very skeptical. Ford and Nissan neutered the Explorer and Pathfinder, respectively, for solid business reasons that a unibody crossover makes more sense to their target market than a mid-sized BOF SUV.
It's also worth pointing out that both Ford and Nissan continue to sell a full sized BOF SUV (The Expedition and Armada) so if someone really NEEDS a V8 and BOF construction, either company can still sell you one.
Right now there are exactly TWO mid-size BOF SUVs sold in the US: The Toyota 4runner and the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. If you stretch the meaning of "SUV" to include unibody designs that otherwise mimic the BOF SUVs you could add the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the various Land Rovers (which I think are unibody but I'm not sure - I'm sure someone else here knows.)
As I've said before, I think the 4 door mid-sized pickups have moved into the same market niche that was previously occupied by BOF SUVs, so when Ford brings the Ranger back to the US market they will be able to sell in that market along with Toyota, Nissan, and Chevy/GM.
Also, as far as "mid sized" BOF SUVs, take a look at a Ford Expedition (Non-EL) or a Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon: Even though both designs are derived from a full sized truck platform (the F-150 and Silverado/Sierra), in terms of size they're actually not that much bigger than a 4runner or R51 Pathfinder.
IOW, I think the argument can be made that as the notion of "mid sized" vehicles gets bigger and bigger, vehicles like the Expedition and Tahoe that were once considered "full size" have now moved into the "mid sized" market niche.
Who knows, maybe the "new" Bronco will simply be a re-badged Expedition, maybe with a "facelift", while the "Expedition" name will be stuck on the EL (long wheelbase) version?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'd be very surprised if they offer it with a manual transmission. In fact, I think it's only a matter of time before Toyota drops the MT option from the Tacoma as well, ditto Nissan and the Frontier. Both for emissions and MPG purposes, having a reliable and predictable auto seems to make more sense as it removes the variable of the driver from the calculation.
Sucks, but that seems to be the way the world is moving. :(
That may be, but between GM not being able to keep diesels on the lot and Toyota & Nissan not being able to supply enough stick shifts maybe I will eventually get my unicorn truck available new. One day they'll maybe want the money I have saved and if they do they'll have to supply the product I want. I won't buy anything with an automatic transmission. If it turns out I'm the only one then so be it, I'll just travel through life never owning a new car then. If it was about efficiency then why don't we get a 1GD-FTV? A Tacoma or 4Runner with it would be easily getting mid 30s MPG.

money.jpg

justcuz

Explorer
Also, I'll eat crow and admit that I was wrong about the Ranger coming back, but as far as body-on-frame SUVs, I'm still very skeptical. Ford and Nissan neutered the Explorer and Pathfinder, respectively, for solid business reasons that a unibody crossover makes more sense to their target market than a mid-sized BOF SUV.
It's also worth pointing out that both Ford and Nissan continue to sell a full sized BOF SUV (The Expedition and Armada) so if someone really NEEDS a V8 and BOF construction, either company can still sell you one.
Right now there are exactly TWO mid-size BOF SUVs sold in the US: The Toyota 4runner and the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. If you stretch the meaning of "SUV" to include unibody designs that otherwise mimic the BOF SUVs you could add the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the various Land Rovers (which I think are unibody but I'm not sure - I'm sure someone else here knows.)
As I've said before, I think the 4 door mid-sized pickups have moved into the same market niche that was previously occupied by BOF SUVs, so when Ford brings the Ranger back to the US market they will be able to sell in that market along with Toyota, Nissan, and Chevy/GM.
Also, as far as "mid sized" BOF SUVs, take a look at a Ford Expedition (Non-EL) or a Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon: Even though both designs are derived from a full sized truck platform (the F-150 and Silverado/Sierra), in terms of size they're actually not that much bigger than a 4runner or R51 Pathfinder.
IOW, I think the argument can be made that as the notion of "mid sized" vehicles gets bigger and bigger, vehicles like the Expedition and Tahoe that were once considered "full size" have now moved into the "mid sized" market niche.
Who knows, maybe the "new" Bronco will simply be a re-badged Expedition, maybe with a "facelift", while the "Expedition" name will be stuck on the EL (long wheelbase) version?

Your not going to get a V8 in an Expedition or Navigator. Ecoboost V6 is the only engine available. My guess is like I said a few months ago, the Bronco will be a rebadged Ford Everest. Explorers are being dumped by the bigger police agencies. Too many warranty issues. CHP is buying Dodge Chargers now. San Bernardino County Sheriffs are dumping the Explorer and getting new Expeditions to replace their Tahoe's. They love the Tahoe's, not to thrilled about the Expedition since the Explorer has such a poor track record. LA County Fire bought Ford diesels for years for their squads, now buying Dodges. Ford did developmental work on the new Everest at the Yucca Proving grounds before Chrysler bought it. Its a proven BOF platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior