Trying to decide on a top for my 2003 E350 EB - Soliciting Opinions

LukeD

Observer
Lots of good feedback, Sadly I am not much closer to deciding, I still have some time to see what mgmetalworks comes up with. It's pretty much that, the 24" bubble or 30" Super camper from Fiberine since they are 4 hours south of me.

Thank you everyone, your opinions are valued

Luke

silvrzuki77

explorer
I vote super camper! Be nice to have something hard sided and insulated and windproof. Down side is its making the brick even bigger while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcguillory

Adventurer
I have a super camper that was installed by SMB west and I will say everyone in my family loves the space. The extra height is almost never a problem. My van is 9' 3" and most drive-throughs in my part of the world are ok. Obviously parking garages are out. Since it's still my daily driver (400,000 miles!) I have a lot experience. One thing about the super camper is I lost 2.5 mpg and that really hurt since I put so many miles on every year. I drive my van for work quite a bit as well. I take puppies to clients in So Cal and out of state several times a year and there is nothing like being able to pull over and go to bed in a vehicle that seats 11. You probably don't need as many seats as I do but the point may be the same.

I have to add that I am dissapointed in the quality of the parts used by SMB. The reading lights are from 1985 and one of the windows started leaking after only 10months. For the price I payed I was expecting very high quality. ($9000!! + the house battery system and solar)

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
One thing about the super camper is I lost 2.5 mpg
That is good to know. I sometimes lament going with the 24" bubble rather then the super but hearing that makes me know I made the right decision.
My AWD GMC van with a 5.3L gas engine actually seems to have gained a very small increase in MPG with the 24" high top.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Another vote here for the fixed high top. All those quick in and outs from day to day are much better when you have full standing height. I also use that interior space full time. Kayak paddles, shovel and broom get stored along the walls and the big shelf over the front two seats is where my rifle and motorcycle helmets live.

mikracer

Adventurer
I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on getting a top installed earlier this year. I narrowed it down to the CCV mid height top and the SMB powered pop top. I really wanted to the wider bed that CCV offers, but having to drive to Colorado in the event a warranty issue came up kind of deterred me. I live in SLO, so not far from you and SMB could install the powered top in 2 days. As you said, they're only a couple hours away so if for any reason you had to get something worked on, they are pretty close.

If you go on any local runs with your van and wouldn't mind another van tagging along, let me know!

BajaSavana

Hi Gnty,
What was your first impression driving with the new top? I'm on the verge of ordering super camper, too. If you're gonna go, go big!

secondseason

fun having so many choices

good luck on your choice, I to had the same thoughts and just pulled the trigger on a CCV. 10 days camping in it so far and I am plenty pleased so far. Up in about a minute, Down about the same time. If we have the sleeping panels pushed back I can stand inside with the top down(6 foot). Road noise seems less than before though I am not sure why this would be the case.

2 cents... you can't go wrong with any of your choices unless you want to stand inside don't do the low profile tops.

choices are good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz