WJ/ older GC

psyfalcon

I'm stuck in Chicago. It snows (and thunderstorms) in Chicago, so my motorcycle isn't as a good a year round commuter as it was in Oregon. Full time 4wd for the snow, and softer than a TJ to get to someplace interesting. Pickups are taxed bad here (truck plates, even on a Ranger), and I can't even park one in front of my house without jumping through hoops.

I want 4wd in the second car, and a reasonable tow rating. I really like the Honda Fit, but no towing, and it could be a bit bigger with 2 dogs in the back. I did do 2 weeks in it around the SW though, so a GC should be plenty of room. (20 more cubic feet)

I'm seeing limiteds and overlands on CL for less than XJs. I mean power everything is always interesting in a 15 year old car, but otherwise? Commuting miles should be well under 5k/ yr, so the mpg isnt enough to go with an Outback and lose the low range.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
If I were to buy a WJ, I'd look for a V8 Laredo model. It will help with the towing power, and a lot of the Limited models had the dual zone climate control which can have problems. The 4.0 is a fine option as well, really depends on what you're going to tow if the 4.0 will suffice or if you should stick with the V8. I think the WJ is the best all around non-Wrangler solid axle vehicle Jeep has ever put out. Capable off road with excellent on road manners, and still maintains a bit of luxury feel.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I would look at one of the V8 WKs also....newer vehicle and you can get the QD2 or QT2 4x4 systems which provide a 4LO. QD2 has electronic lockers fr and rear. Both systems are pretty much unstoppable in the snow. Parts are readily available.

Both the WJ and WK are not known for vast amounts of interior space...both the WJ and WK are underrated Overland platforms.

If you look hard enough you can also find the 2007-2008 WK with a Mercedes 3.0L V6 diesel engine...plenty of power and mpgs into the mid 20's

BCobe

Adventurer
I had an 01 with the 4.7 V8 and loved it. I feel that they are pretty spacious when you lay down the seats. I am 5'10 and had slept in the back of mine a couple of times.
I would definitely say that they are worth a looking at. Going a little further back, have you considered a ZJ Grand Cherokee? I had one of those as my first car when I lived in Illinois, the Quad Cities, and it preformed awesome in the snow.

psyfalcon

~70 cubic feet, which is the same as the old Legacy wagon I had. More than the Fit (which is more than enough if a Labrador isn't involved).

Probably not going to drive it around the world, but they seem to have a good mix of road manners with plenty of dirt road ability, and with the right 4wd system, quite a bit more. Seems like a good mix of size and capability to take to Moab, the Oregon outback, or up to MN or Maine with a canoe on the roof.

The number of drive train options is just a little crazy though. It looks like you have the Qt 2 (full time, locked 4lo), QD adds lsds but QT1 is full time only. Maybe selec trac on the oldest ones too. Almost as bad as trying to sort out the differences between the new Cherokees and Renegades.

Edit: ZJs are getting a little old... My parents had a 94, 4.0. Before I could drive. I was the official fixer of the 10 disc changer (Behind the interior mounted spare). Not sure I can re-live 1999.

Edit 2: The rust out here is freaking me out, after living in Portland for 8 years. 1980 datsuns with no rust all over the place. Lot more salt here. 05 sounds better than 95, though it might not even matter.

Last edited:

MrWesson

Adventurer
Just buy the V8 Limited WJ with the dual zone.. Someone came up with a easy fix for the blend door issue without having to remove the dash and it will be easier to find with the V8.

They can have head gaskets go wrong when people overheat and warp the aluminum heads on the V8 but otherwise it's good to go.

Both of my WJ's needed a new radiator during ownership.. I'd honestly just replace it upon purchase rather than it go wrong on you when you need it.

Reasons to buy a V8 WJ..

It can tow.. Rated for 6,500lbs
syjndhll.jpg

It really does haul *****.. Faster than it should be for the money.

Solid front and rear axles make it great offroad.

Aftermarket is picking up for lifts/off road parts.

Dirt cheap to buy.. I sold my 99 V8 Limited with 160k for $1,200.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Just buy the V8 Limited WJ with the dual zone.. Someone came up with a easy fix for the blend door issue without having to remove the dash and it will be easier to find with the V8.

They can have head gaskets go wrong when people overheat and warp the aluminum heads on the V8 but otherwise it's good to go.

Both of my WJ's needed a new radiator during ownership.. I'd honestly just replace it upon purchase rather than it go wrong on you when you need it.

Reasons to buy a V8 WJ..

It can tow.. Rated for 6,500lbs
syjndhll.jpg

It really does haul *****.. Faster than it should be for the money.

Solid front and rear axles make it great offroad.

Aftermarket is picking up for lifts/off road parts.

Dirt cheap to buy.. I sold my 99 V8 Limited with 160k for $1,200.

WK v8/diesel can tow more...7700 lbs...:elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94