HEMA Explorer North America

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Hoping this gets addressed considering the endorsement hema gets by this site

Last edited:

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Yes, it is amazing that Overland Journal likes this app as well. Makes me wonder about the other products they claim are useful...

Roger M.

Adventurer
I haven't read anything in Overland Journal that has any "fanboy" overtones at all?

Just general interest stories about HEMA being in North America, and well deserved credit for what they've accomplished in Oz.

HEMA are in solely in charge of their own reputation (for better or worse) here in North America.

1Louder

Explorer
I haven't read anything in Overland Journal that has any "fanboy" overtones at all?

Just general interest stories about HEMA being in North America, and well deserved credit for what they've accomplished in Oz.

HEMA are in solely in charge of their own reputation (for better or worse) here in North America.

I think it is based on the original article found here, http://expeditionportal.com/hema-explorer-released-for-north-america/

It implied it was new and innovative when For one it isn't (Gaia Clone) and two other apps exist with similar functionality . Not a big deal to me. I was disappointed that the app was not unique. It would have been great to see something different to Gaia and of course potentially better. What would be great is a write-up comparing apps for both iOS and Android since some are unique to each platform.

Bottom line, people are tired of waiting for updates that might improve the app and fix version 1.0 bugs. Gaia, for example, has had 7 updates to its app since the release of Hema Explorer.

Roger M.

Adventurer
Ahhh, yes that article was here on the website rather than the magazine itself.

To me, the most glaring bit of misinformation in that article was the claim that the North American app was based completely on the software HEMA offered in Oz - something we now know to be entirely false.
To be fair though, this is probably the information that was provided by HEMA to the author of the piece.

I do tend to consider the writing in the actual magazine (Overland Journal) a far more prone to understatement rather than the somewhat normal overstatement seen here on the website.

Based on the complete silence, one has to wonder if HEMA is even in North America currently, or if they've withdrawn back to Australia. It seemed even when they were here, they weren't working on improving the software as much as they were exploring routes along the Continental Divide (amongst others) to put tracks into the app.

Frankly, rather than following somebody else's track, I'd like to see HEMA concentrate their efforts on getting the app itself working properly before chalking up long trips on their customers dime!

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
I was referring to an article in the print magazine, sometime this year, I'd have to look at my back issues to find it. It wasn't touted as a full review of HemaExplorer for Android, but it was written a bit like a "fanboy" article. It certainly had zero criticisms.

At any rate, I bought the Gaia GPS Android app today. As I play with it, it has quite a few features that are better than HE. But I do miss the map options of HE, such as HERE maps. I'm going to see if I can get a refund on HE (not sure who to talk to), and I won't try it again until they start actively supporting the app.

1Louder

Explorer
At any rate, I bought the Gaia GPS Android app today. As I play with it, it has quite a few features that are better than HE. But I do miss the map options of HE, such as HERE maps.

You can import your own custom maps. Here's a tutorial, http://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/import-custom-maps-gaia-gps/
I don't think HERE has a way to do it though. They do offer a free plan for low requests per month. There are lots of map options with Gaia. More than HE. Some do require a Pro subscription but you can get a free 1 year trial of that if you are interested. Mapbox HD Maps are an excellent alternative to HERE.

There is another article on the site listed above that says how to do it. Gaia is VERY responsive in their Reddit forums. So if you have questions go there and post.

MountainBiker what specifically do you like about the HERE Maps? Maybe give me an example location as well. Then I can suggest some of the available alternatives in Gaia. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

Roger M.

Adventurer
Seems I'll have to retract my kudo's shared earlier in the thread on the ability of the magazine to refrain from excess hyperbole or fanboyism when reviewing products.

The new issue of OJ offers a glowing review of the HEMA North America app, with nary a single criticism of the app or its functionality, despite there being many identified issues (in this thread) that hinder its use, and the complete lack of updates since its original release.

I usually try to refrain from being jaded, but the "review" in the current issue is quite obviously an advertisement - and certainly isn't anything at all close to an honest review.

1Louder

Explorer
Seems I'll have to retract my kudo's shared earlier in the thread on the ability of the magazine to refrain from excess hyperbole or fanboyism when reviewing products.

The new issue of OJ offers a glowing review of the HEMA North America app, with nary a single criticism of the app or its functionality, despite there being many identified issues (in this thread) that hinder its use, and the complete lack of updates since its original release.

I usually try to refrain from being jaded, but the "review" in the current issue is quite obviously an advertisement - and certainly isn't anything at all close to an honest review.

If it wasn't $12 an issue I would love to read it. Ok maybe it's $8... In case I decide to splurge on the tablet version. You are talking about the new Fall 2016 issue correct?

Thanks......

Last edited:

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
MountainBiker what specifically do you like about the HERE Maps? Maybe give me an example location as well. Then I can suggest some of the available alternatives in Gaia. Feel free to shoot me a PM.
Replied in a PM, but a comment added for others reading this thread.

I've been looking at the areas where I thought that the HERE map was better. But as I look and compare HE to Gaia, I'm finding that the Gaia Topo map is pretty darn good, and when paired with the USGS Topo, that seems to meet my needs. I think I just got used to using HERE map in HE this summer, and came to like it.

1Louder

Explorer

Ok curiosity killed the cat. I spent the $8 on the IPad version. It's a fluff piece for sure and I would not consider it a formal review. The audience would be better served by a real review. Here's a tip. For iOS review Hema, Gaia GPS, Motion-X GPS, and the new Magellan TRX app. For Android you can review Hema which has some glaring bugs, GAIA GPS, Backcountry Navigator, Orux Maps, and maybe some other app. If you want to be unbiased, not review, and just list all of these options like your online RTT guide, fine.

That won't happen folks. There is a lot of money behind the Hema app and they are in the circle of the Overland Journal folks. Of course I am critical of this and wish it wasn't that way but they own the publication and those types of fluff pieces are very common. At least we can thank them for these forums!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Of course they are in the same circle as overlanders, they are overlanders themselves. Whereas we know little/nothing about these other corps. The HEMA U.S. Map patrol is in Alaska currently having been all over AZ, NM, CO, WY, MT, Can, etc. they start south in a day or two. Am I biased? Sure.. HEMA maps and guide books made our Australia trip (Expeditons7) possible and I'm 100% certain they'll make the needed improvements in the U.S. I'm still happy with the iOS version, it's certainly got some quirks that must be addressed but I have faith.

1Louder

Explorer
Of course they are in the same circle as overlanders, they are overlanders themselves. Whereas we know little/nothing about these other corps. The HEMA U.S. Map patrol is in Alaska currently having been all over AZ, NM, CO, WY, MT, Can, etc. they start south in a day or two. Am I biased? Sure.. HEMA maps and guide books made our Australia trip (Expeditons7) possible and I'm 100% certain they'll make the needed improvements in the U.S. I'm still happy with the iOS version, it's certainly got some quirks that must be addressed but I have faith.

I was referring to a different circle but that's ok. If you want to learn more about Gaia GPS and the people behind it that's very easy. Go here: https://www.gaiagps.com/company/

Everything Hema does today Gaia has done for years. It's too bad the editors were not aware of that fact as they could have promoted this technology much sooner. I did find this online article from 2015, http://expeditionportal.com/head-to-head-gps-vs-smartphone/ The only thing Hema are attempting to do is focus on a particular market and provide stories and tracks for them. It's not a bad idea. I have been pushing for Gaia to add a track type so when things get uploaded to the cloud there can be a filter like hiking, overlanding, sailing, etc. Then it would be easier to see tracks in the cloud that are focused towards your interests. Hema Cloud should have the option to show only tracks the Hema map team has created. Seeing a bunch of random unnamed tracks for folks is not that helpful. Gaia Cloud suffers from this same issue.

The lesson they have hopefully learned is don't release software when it is not ready and if you do have a development team that can address bugs in a timely manner.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94