Winch help?

Rorywg

This may be a dumb question- I'd really appreciate help with my winch. I have a TJM 10,000lb stealth winch on my Ford Raptor. I never really know when it is going to work- the most common problem is a clicking (from the solenoid?) but no engagement from the motor. I went to help a guy stuck in the desert last week- but no joy from the winch so we used a recovery strap instead. Not exactly a crisis, but I'd like to get the thing working reliably. I have looked on a load of sites and I understand that it may be that the motor coils are burned out, or that the electrical connection is not good. I hope it;s the connection- does the fact that the winch works intermittently support this?

I like in the UAE and there is no TJM support here. I have tried the US sales rep but no answer. Any wisdom out there that I can benefit from?

Thanks!

XJINTX

Explorer
I'd start by cleaning all the solenoid contacts and putting some electrical grease on those connections. Not sure about TJM but the Smittybuilt winches are known for just cheap or inadequate grease on gears. Pretty easy to take apart clean and add GOOD high quality grease. You don't mention if handheld or wireless control? May need to check those connections too?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You should be able to take the winch off, remove the cable, and bench test it by jumpering a battery direct to the actual motor leads. If it works every time, then go hunting in your control connections. If you aren't comfortable doing this, you can take it to an electric motor shop. Look around the industrial areas. I promise you Dubai has electric motor services... The challenge will be getting them to work on something that small / cheap. in the US, most places would say throw it out and get a new one.

Cash to a technician after work might be in order.

Hi all,

Rorywg, do you have a manual for the winch, or a wiring diagram?

Like has been mentioned, you need to go through the electrical connections to make sure everything is in good order. I would also suggest running a ground wire from the control box to the vehicle frame.

Good luck,

Alan

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I'd say you have a major case of dust contamination either on the motor or your controller. You'll want to clean everything out as suggested above, but then either plug all areas that could let dust in, or install a filter of some kind if the holes are needed for cooling air.

Rorywg

First thing- this community is amazing. Thank you for the help- it seems like it was the power supply... All cleaned and reconnected and seems to be working again. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior