08 Ranger

quickfarms

Adventurer
I would suggest investing in a welding outfit if you don't already have one. This makes the relative lack of body bolt-ons a complete nonissue (and not only can it get you stuff that fits YOUR needs exactly (not the needs of the masses), but you'd get it for a lot less buck too). MIG seems to be by far the easiest weld process to learn (within 20 minutes of sticking my first few pieces of metal together I was building an aux battery tray for mine, and it all went from there). You can also adapt bumpers and other stuff from other vehicle applications to yours too (I know many have used Cherokee XJ bumpers on Rangers pretty easily). However I do believe Warn's Trans4mer winch kit is one that is still available for the '98-'11 Rangers (retains the stock bumper).

Welcome aboard :beer:

Those of us who have welded for decades cringe at these comments. Yes a mig is easy to use but it is also easy to make some pretty welds that have no penetration or strength.

Do yourself a favor if you want to weld, get some real training before you buy a machine. When and if you do but a machine get a red or blue one, hobart is owned by blue. And buy a 220v machine, the 110v machines are to small.

I have several, I don't switch wire, I switch welders.

The warn transformer rocks, I have one in a 94 ranger

Last edited:

Bick1211

Those of us who have welded for decades cringe at these comments. Yes a mig is easy to use but it is also easy to make some pretty welds that have no penetration or strength.

Do yourself a favor if you want to weld, get some real training before you buy a machine. When and if you do but a machine get a red or blue one, hobart is owned by blue. And buy a 220v machine, the 110v machines are to small.

I have several, I don't switch wire, I switch welders.

The warn transformer rocks, I have one in a 94 ranger

Welding isn't something I will be doing haha, Its one of those I would rather someone else do it... I know wimpy way out but I accept the fact I don't know how and don't have alot of time to learn .. lol

xjman88

Adventurer
Welcome to the Portal and to the world of expo wheeling. Where in Maine are you from? I'm originally from Waterville area.

4x4junkie

Explorer

Cringe all you want... That aux battery tray was my very first welding project over 17 years ago. It is still in my Ranger today carrying around a big 65-lb #27 deep-cycle battery trouble-free.
I would certainly add though that you definitely should start first with non-critical projects such as the tray above, bumpers, rocksliders, etc. Once you've gotten a good handle on your welding skill after these items, then you can start going for the bigger more critical stuff.

Welding isn't something I will be doing haha, Its one of those I would rather someone else do it... I know wimpy way out but I accept the fact I don't know how and don't have alot of time to learn .. lol
Please don't let posts like that intimidate you, a MIG machine is quite easy to use. Like anything, some practice will be needed in the beginning, but you should have it down pretty quickly if you're fairly adept at learning (like I said, it took me maybe 20 minutes to get comfortable enough to start with my battery tray project).
My suggestion is to start with reading a good book on welding such as this Haynes Techbook. It shows you all the ins & outs, what good & bad welds look like (and what is needed to make the bad ones better), explains what all the different processes are (and the advantages & disadvantages of each), terminology, and so on & so forth.

As for welders, a 220V machine certainly is best if you plan to weld on structural items such as suspensions and axle brackets, but a GOOD 110V unit can easily handle building of bumpers, skidplates, headache racks, tire/jerry can mounts, RTT mounts, and the like.

Depending on how much you want to do, either one of these can be a good choice:
http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500559-Handler-Wire-Welder/dp/B009X43F38
http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500554-Handler-Wire-Welder/dp/B005CNOVZU

A welder is not something to use exclusively for your vehicle either, I've found dozens upon dozens of uses for it around the house too (repairing a wrought-iron gate or railing, making a bracket to mount a solar panel for a string of LED yard lights, to even building a wheelbase extender bracket for my E-Maxx R/C car are just a few examples). You mentioned some of your wheeling buddies were familiar with welding, they should be able to guide you along and have you up and running in no time if you truly have an interest in making your own accessories.
Mine has paid for itself many times over. :cool:

RedF

Adventurer
Don't be scared of welding. Give it a try - just don't build critical components until your skills are proven.

C4x4 also offers a front bumper Rangers. I have the front bumper. It's a solid piece for a very fair price.

If memory serves me, the 08 and newer Rangers sit lower than the previous years trucks. I don't remember what the change was, the torsion keys maybe? On my 06, I run 33x10.50s with the torsion bars adjusted up (not cranked!) and a longer shackle.

The best advice I can give is as follows. Don't get hung up on modifying for the sake of modifying; instead buy some camping and recovery gear, and get out there. You'll figure out what you need, and what you don't.

Last edited:

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
^^^ He's right, 08+ used different indexed keys and 1.25" Blocks instead of 2-2.5"(Depending on trim) even with that being said you might still be able to clear a 33x10.30

Bojak

Adventurer
I always appreciated these rangers. Buddy had one with the 4.0 and manual shift. I thought it was a lot of performance for the size vehicle it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94