The building of a biwak box upon an offroad trailer

Albatross

Hi, I'm new here and I have been following somebuilds before I dared to start a build myself.
Here is now the result of my project this winter:

Once I realized the Wrangler JKU does not have enough load capability for overlanding there was plans to build some kind of a biwak trailer. I found 3 possibilities:
Tent trailer, Teardrop type or a simple sleeping box
25653317my.jpg

And one thing was clear from the beginning: The trailer should not be higher as the towing vehicle and must have the same width as the towing vehicle, of course also the same wheels (rims and tires) and wheelbase.
Du to possible weather conditions I would like to sleep dry, even in the heavy rain, and I would also like to have breakfast under a roof. With this requirements it had to be a sleeping box with the possibility to cook coffee and have breakfast inside. Since I already had a trailer I made the decision for the most flexible solution: A box upon the trailer, the same principle as a box upon a pickup truck.
25653318fq.jpg

Sleeping roof or not. I do not know yet. But a foldable roof to be able to stand up when open and sit inside without tilting the head when closed ( and not higher than the towing vehicle).
25653319gs.jpg

Specifications almost ready. 1 Week without any civilization for 2 Persons, 60l of water, small compressor refrigerator, a toilet for emergency cases. Water and cooking possibilities also inside. Battery and solar panel.
Material? Plywood with insulation or glass-fiber sandwich panels?
25653320ib.jpg

Plywood is easy to handle, but in sum the sandwich panels with aluminum profiles is faster to build as Plywood + insulation.
Decision made, now I have to have the right tools:
25653321pg.jpg

1. Step: Order Sandwich panels, Aluminum Profiles, glue and rivets
25653322nd.jpg

2. Step: saw the first panels and aluminum profiles
25653362zl.jpg

3. Start gluing
25653363ae.jpg

Front, left and right side. Back side
25653364fp.jpg

Finishing the corners (fixed with rivets) and painting with prime coat,
25653365jq.jpg

Marriage
25653366ks.jpg

Back door and roof, Windows
25653367mc.jpg

Interior part. Felt on the walls, Flight case material: 7mm Multiplex and aluminum profiles
25653424rh.jpg

60l of water, battery etc in the front, kitchen in the back
25653426kp.jpg

Table, front ready, sleeping position (130cm x 200cm)
25653427xq.jpg

Painting
25653428ru.jpg

Solar panel, 4 jerry cans, spare tire, and interior complete
25653429nr.jpg

Ready for beta test
25653430vx.jpg

Weight, loaded with 60 l water and 80l fuel approx 750-800kg.
Tongue weight: empty 51kg, with water and fuel 95kg
Length: 375 cm, box length: 250 cm
width:188 cm, box width 155cm, wheelbase 1572mm
height: 193 cm

A short video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPo8DZE4u-Q

Reactions: plh

FMF

Adventurer
This is amazing! I would love to build somthing like this for my truck. Could you post a line to the panels and the tract you used to join them.

borison

Adventurer
Super ************. I've had a similar idea, but your execution is much better than I could've imagined. Great job.

11b4v

Adventurer
Modular Trailer

This is my favorite build thread posted thus far. Excellent.

I love the materials used for the build.

SamM

Adventurer
Awesome trailer and build. I'm building a very similar box for my Schutt military trailer. My materials will be SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels) very close to what you have done. Not sure that I will make mine removable as I have several different trailers already.

Again, awesome build!

SamM

Albatross

My son will be the first one using it next week (going to some kind open air music event with camping possibility)... but first some practise driving backwards:
25701480jq.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles