2003 Montero Limited: Yaw Rate Sensor Replacement?

Scissorgrinder

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new to this forum and my new Baja rig, a 2003 Montero Limited. Just replace both engine mounts (one was broken) and installed a new timing belt and water pump. OME kit is ordered and I'm currently debating between 285 or 265 KO2's on the stock rims. My sleeping platform is finished as well and I look forward to my first surf trip in Baja over the upcoming holiday weekend. Other than the sunroof engine that gave up on me and the 2100-2200 RPM vibration that I need to address at some point, I'm super happy with the new ride overall. Will post pics once she looks a little prettier.

Unfortunately the Active Skid & Traction Control light just came on the other week, though. The light on the left sometimes flashes, sometimes it's solid. The light on the right is always solid. I was not able to read any codes so I finally caved and brought it to a Mitsubishi dealer in San Diego today. They called right back and said I need a new Yaw Rate Sensor. Part plus installation apparently $550...!

I searched high and low but haven't found any useful information on this yet, other than the relevant section in the service manual (http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/GR00008000-35C.pdf).

1) Has anybody had the same issue and replaced their Yaw Rate Sensor under the center console?
2) Is this something you can do at home or do I need the specific MB991502 scan tool like the manual would suggest?
3) Do you know the part number for the sensor I need?
4) If I need to have the dealer install it, what's a fair price?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Cheers

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
I may not be the best resource, but...

#1: Not yet, but at the rate I'm going with my '03 probably will before too long...
#2: If I had the tool I'd try it myself. Procedure in the FSM looks as simple as letting the scan tool do a quick calibration (5 steps, well 1 really with 2 being plug/unplug scanner and 2 being turn key on/off). It looks like it does all the work since there are no instructions to input any info or follow any additional prompts.
#3: G & Yaw Rate Sensor (Mitsu p#8651A059) is $223 online. MUT-III Scanner tool can be found on ebay for $5-600 (FSM calls for using MUT-II, which I assume is just an older version...I could be wrong).
#4: That looks high to me. Part is $225 and it can't take more than an hour to do (labor $90-150/hr)...but they don't call them stealerships for nothing.

Hope you have fun in the Baja!

Cheers,
John in VA

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
The light on the left sometimes flashes, sometimes it's solid. The light on the right is always solid.

Which light are you referring to? Do you mean the Center Differential Light (CDL) on the 4wd Indicator or are you referring to a warning light up above the speedo?

If it is the CDL there is a simple DIY trick to reading the fault codes you can do yourself so you don't need to take it back to a dealership again. All you need is a small piece of wire. I've got a pdf for it at home on my computer that I could send you for future reference if you want. It helped me accurately diagnose my free-wheel clutch solenoid issue (bad solenoid and vacuum hose disconnected) when I first bought the car rather than guessing and throwing switches at it.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Not worth replacing. Traction control works fine without it.

You can pull the dash and remove the lights. Doesn't show up on OBDII as an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94