this week's Wrangler rumor: no manual trans for 2017

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Automatics have surpassed manuals in performance and economy (and number of ratios) so there really is no practical reason for a manual anymore. I still love manuals but there is no longer any reason to get one in a new vehicle, they're worse in every objective and practical way, unfortunately. I'd have a tough time convincing myself to order one on even a Wrangler given you lose performance and economy - and they're better off road due to the very wide gear ratio spread and ability to crawl with the tc. In the days of 3 or 4 speed inefficient auto vs a 5 or 6 speed manual it wasn't much of a question that the auto is worse in almost every way except convenience, but now it's the opposite.
Highlighted the key part.

Practical.
I have a few different routes that I can take to get to work in the morning, suburb to suburb commute, all north of Atlanta. Some rolling hills punctuated by smallish gentleman's farms, equestrian facilities, woods, winding ribbons of asphalt giving way to well-groomed dirt/gravel roads ---- or the direct route past strip centers.
The paved and boring route is quick, efficient, and shorter. The fun way is further, slower, less efficient; it is impractical. The other way is better in every measurable criteria for travel save one, pure enjoyment.

Just like a manual transmission. Pleasure. The sheer joy of the union of man and machine. Fiddling with the gearbox, the feeling of engagement, connection.
You can't measure it but it's there. Soul.

Please, Muther Jeep; don't take that away from us.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Out of 580 respondents on this enthusiast Wrangler forum, 50.69% automatics
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/poll-do-you-have-an-auto-or-manual-transmission-1561761.html
I would venture to say that a poll on a site like that would skew towards off road enthusiasts. More JKs are sold to soccer mom's than off road enthusiasts. Soccer mom's don't drive manual transmissions.
Tom
3 speed transfer case sounds awesome. street, off road, and crawl ratios. very cool@

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior