Stock Fuel Tank Capacity?

yabanja

Explorer
I am trying to calculate necessary fuel for a long remote trip. Looking back at my records I see that I have never added more than 23.75 gallons of fuel to my tank.

Has anyone actually drained one of the stock tanks to determine exactly how much it holds?

Thank you!

Allan

yabanja

Explorer
Yes, side mount rated at 33 but it can't be filled as the filler neck isn't in the top of the tank....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
With my stock 33 gal tank 28.4 Gal is my record - when filling I always drip in the last bit of fuel to almost overflowing. I must have been getting nervous on that one as the next highest was 26.Gal. Generally 24 Gal is my fill up point. Not enough tank that's for sure...particularly given the PITA of priming the fuel system if you go dry... Moe

yabanja

Explorer
Thank you for the info! Going to drive up on blocks at the gas station to try and get a bit more. That and 3 five gallon jerry cans should get me where I need to go!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I would have tremendous range anxiety if I was limited by the stock tank.

You can pretty easily fit a 50 gallon tank into the space that the stock 33 gallon sits in. I have one on each side for 100 gallons total, and can fill them to the top.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I could also add that using a rectangular tank is far more space efficient than the standard OEM round tank.

yabanja

Explorer
Thanks for the input! I have an aluminum 50 gal at home just not mounted yet. Made it through our two week dirt road trip w/o running out! Now to get back to the shop and get on with the list!

unkamonkey

Explorer
Yep, my stock tank was 33 gal. I found a 50 gal rectangular so It makes me a bit happier. I just don't have a place to put the stock tank and I ruled out the rear bumper.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Not hard to make in a Lathe and you should have your fuel tank breather extended already as it will take water in on river crossings situated where it is.

Dan.

HazMan

Observer
Tomorrow I'm going to purchase a rectangular 200L Isuzu FRR tank and use it to replace my small stock tank.

I'll try to take some before and after shots....

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles