Unique sink/water idea

KevinK

Not Very New Member
I updated the plan to use nitrogen. We're corner weighing the truck tomorrow to decide on mounting locations for the water, fridge and spare tires. Then we'll know how to load the bed to try for an even weight distribution.

d3e6c3e2b5c5913dbc6edb38b8e36dd3.jpg

Tapatalk - because smoke signals would be too easy.

Neil

Observer
Sorry, I am feeling a bit thick here.

Are you creating and incredible solution to something that wasnt a problem.
Most people use an electric pump and it works ok.

The beer barrell and bottled nitrogen approach to getting a glass of water is a bit over the top for me.

Love the thinking though. I am keen to see how this goes

Neil

KevinK

Not Very New Member
Yeah, pretty much solved a problem that didn't exist.

But, the benefits for us are in the many uses the nitrogen serves in a single system:

1. pressurize the water (replaces a pump and second battery)
2. fill tires (replaces a compressor and second battery)
3. fills off road shocks
4. runs air tools at the track (as a support vehicle for our car)

There are no moving or electrical parts, so the failure points are just the connections in the lines. I'm not actually sure how well they're going to hold up to our kind of off road abuse, but we'll see. The handful of folks we camp with have seen at least 2 failed 12v pumps and 3 compressors in the past 2 years.

The last keg can be taken out and brought to a group kitchen for portable water. it doesn't need constant connection to the N2 bottle in order to flow the water, so it can be really portable.

It's reduced our dependency on a electricity to the point that we are just running a 40Ah Lithium battery for the fridge and inverter for the coffee maker.

the biggest downside is that it isn't a never-ending source - we will have to fill the bottle occasionally, and if we run out on the road, we're out. Our longest trips are typically a week, and the bottle should last far longer than that. If we wanted to go for a month, we might run into trouble depending on how many times we air down and up the tires. Our plan includes a contingency to double our N2 capacity if we need it.

KevinK

Not Very New Member
I almost forgot the most important part!

Nitro beer on tap at camp and the track (after racing is done).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
How about a paintball Co2 tank and a regulator?

paintball CO2 probably isn't food grade, and the same issue with CO2 dissolving into the water aka: seltzer water. You can but food grade Nitrogen / CO2 mix - Beer Gas which is typically 75% N and 25% CO2. With low pressure there will be minimal CO2 dissolving - may notice a little sparkling after some time. Caveat: I can only source 20 lb N/CO2 tanks that are steel and quite heavy. Yes I am a home brewer and yes I have a "nitro" tap.

IMG_20161202_184710.jpg

Left to right: Lavender Hibiscus Hard Apple Cider, IPA, Saisson, Nitro Rye Porter

Last edited:

KevinK

Not Very New Member
paintball CO2 probably isn't food grade, and the same issue with CO2 dissolving into the water aka: seltzer water. You can but food grade Nitrogen / CO2 mix - Beer Gas which is typically 75% N and 25% CO2. With low pressure there will be minimal CO2 dissolving - may notice a little sparkling after some time. Caveat: I can only source 20 lb N/CO2 tanks that are steel and quite heavy. Yes I am a home brewer and yes I have a "nitro" tap.

View attachment 379584

Left to right: Lavender Hibiscus Hard Apple Cider, IPA, Saisson, Nitro Rye Porter

I thought about using beer gas, but shocks require 100% N2, so I'll probably actually grab a tiny beer gas bottle for fun.

I got the 60 cubic foot aluminum nitrogen bottle from a brewing distributor. Adventures in Homebrewing if I recall. Nice selection you have on tap by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles