Renogy kit or mix and match?

Thanks, folks! Yes, it is a 36V module (!), I can't believe I omitted that. Is welding wire actually preferable to battery cable from Napa or something? I though auto wire had a better resistance to high heat / oil, whatever. How do you recommend getting terminals of that size crimped on there? Should I go to an auto stereo place or can I wing it with a pair of pliers? Aren't the crimper for that large a guage fairly expensive?
Cheers

4x4junkie

Explorer
Thanks, folks! Yes, it is a 36V module (!), I can't believe I omitted that. Is welding wire actually preferable to battery cable from Napa or something? I though auto wire had a better resistance to high heat / oil, whatever. How do you recommend getting terminals of that size crimped on there? Should I go to an auto stereo place or can I wing it with a pair of pliers? Aren't the crimper for that large a guage fairly expensive?
Cheers

I just solder the terminals on. Very easy to do... Put the terminal in a vise (open end up), heat the side of the terminal with a propane torch set low and fill it about ¼ full of solder. Put the stripped end of the wire in and continue heating until solder flows freely around all strands of the wire. Continue adding solder until the terminal is full. Let cool. Wrap with heat-shrink tubing.
I've done it like this for over 30 years and have never had an issue. Not once. Ever.

(Now cue comments from alarmists who insist the world will end for any number of (sometimes far-fetched) reasons if you solder... this when it's been the crimped connections they advocate that have given me grief)

With that said, there is ONE type of crimp that may be reliable, that is one that is compressed 360° around the terminal lug (I say this because it was pointed out in another discussion after numerous pages, there are different types of crimps with varying reliability, and I didn't pay enough attention to whether any of the dozens I've had fail were the 360° type or not). If the anti-solder alarmists have you convinced you will burn your rig down (something a poorly crimped connection can very easily do), or you simply are not sure of your soldering ability, then you definitely want to look for this type of crimper. Do not accept anything else (you are much better off soldering it regardless of your skill level if you can't find a 360° crimper). Yes, they are expensive. Hammer crimpers, and dimple or v-notch crimpers are all ones to avoid (and ESPECIALLY pliers!).

On the subject of welding cables vs battery cables, I have found the insulation on welding cable to be less abrasion-resistant. If you do use it for it's far better flexibility, make sure it's firmly secured wherever it's resting against something so that it cannot rub or move around at all from vibration (or put a sleeve or tape or something over it to protect it).

Excellent info, thanks. Lastly, for passing 2 10 gauge / .25" cables though the roof of the van, what do you guys recommend? I've looked at cable clams, which seem nice and probably what I use unless you guys have a more trusted solution. The leads coming off the module are about .25" diameter. I'm interested in the West Marine Two Hole Wire Caps, but can't get a sense of how wide the mouth is. I would need it to be .5" obviously. Thanks again in advance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94