Van advice and opinions

EuroJoe

Adventurer
Back ground

I'm thinking of getting an adventure van, not really soon so in the planning stages, born from having a 1966 MCI coach which was amazing to have ready to go. All packed up etc. the only problem was its size and MPG. We since sold it to the cutest family who are going to live and tour in it! super happy for them!
View attachment 347397

So when my current daily gets all sorted out (VW diesel, so in limbo until they figure out what to do) I have decided that I want a van that I can use for mountain biking races and camping trips with my son, ski trips maybe if I put heat in it, I read with interest iridewheelies build thread.

I'm leaning towards the chevy GMC express platform, cost maintenance and like the additional size of the 155 long wheel base version and that it would fit in parking structures etc etc.
The build would be simple and gradual
a sleep platform/ table area and camping gear - to get out and camp
a possible future basic sink/flat spot to cook on - as time and fund allow if i can incorporate and still maintain as a daily driver
solar - I would love to have full solar and fridge, interior lights etc for longer road trips one day

questions are mainly

Cargo or passenger or conversion? cargo I would need a 2nd row put in, I understand there is a seating rail in the passenger vans that is not in the cargo vans, would adding a 2nd row be problematic? my boy is too young/small to ride up front. or go for a passenger and ditch the additional seats and from the 2nd row back, strip and build out. I'm not a fan of conversion vans, aesthetics mainly, but should I consider them, are there benefits?

Next is AWD vs RWD? I would run all seasons on the AWD and invest in winter tires if i was only 2wd? any thoughts? I wouldn't be wheeling, off pavement would be snow and fire roads at most.

Thanks in advance

S

Last edited:

dleeallen

Adventurer
No factory awd on the long wheelbase Express. Unless you find one that has been converted by Quigley or someone else. The 155 would probably have the bigger 6.0 engine and would tow more of you need. I have young kids and am looking like you and thinking start with passenger so the seats and belts are in place already. Not impossible to add just more work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

710m

Observer
The seats in the passenger vans are really lousy. No headrests or other support. Since the sidebseatbelts are connected to the body on the sides, you'll constantly be either ducking under those or disconnecting them.

I decided to pull the original seats out of my Chevy passenger van and put in Transit seats.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
My one question for you is,
Do you understand the amount of money and time to build something along the lines you have mentioned?
It's substantial.

carleton

Around here (in Colorado), AWD Expresses go fast, for almost twice as much cost, and 1/2 the hauling capacity. I went the 2500 route with a factory LSD, and don't have any regrets. Snow tires in the winter, and the more I build it out, the more weight that adds over the rear tires.

The PO installed captains chairs in the back of our cargo van, but for your peace of mind with kids I would think that getting a passenger van (and removing seats) would be the way to go. Then you don't have to second guess.

Good luck!

EuroJoe

Adventurer
My thoughts were similar, I don't really want to second guess with adding seats, removing seats is far simpler.

@Bbasso - I have time to build, its going to start as more like glorified camping. basic bed in the back and storage for bike and gear.

I also have budgeted for the different facilities that I'll add. Owning an old coach forces you to budget for things! As I said before, its not going to be a full one time build to live in. the needs and wants are balenced and budgeted for.

@carlton - I am thinking that the nicer seating in the conversions might be a good move. I'm in New England so also thinking snow tires, they made all the difference on my RWD charger.

@710m - did you get get transit seats from a junk yard?

Thanks

710m

Observer
I ended up ordering my Transit bench seat from Ebay. Matter of fact, I had to buy two rows, so now I'm selling the 3rd row bench seat. It is a little wider than the 2nd row.

Choff

Adventurer
I have used my 2005 GMC Savana AWD Conversion van for everything!! Have put a 100,000 since I bought it 8 years ago.
Loaded drywall, took all the chairs and bunk out for moving (empy van then)Sleep in it almost every trip we take, Use it for sking and deer hunting with trailer ( for the deer) and drive it daily!!!
And have gotten 17 mpg on hwy driving, 32 gal gas tank and every option you can think of, TV, indash nav. ,heated seats, seats in a coversion van are the best, 12 way power and tilt. sat in them for 14 hrs driving you will know what is important for any van!

I have thought about taking all the ground effects off of our van, but I do think on road it help the Gas mileage. I have taken the front off a few times to fix it , keep hitting ****, but then I went to 17" tall tires and rims and ride height, it has helped in winter.
And I fits in our standard 7' garage door!!

CHECK OUT OLDER CONVERSION VANS, WE BOUGHT THIS IT WAS 3 YEARS OLD WITH 45,000 MILES AND IT WAS ON THE LOT FOR $24,000 DOLLARS
TRADED IN AN OLD FORD EXPL. AND GAVE THEM $20,000 DOLLARS

Choff

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

kudzu

The 2nd & 3rd row of seats in my (new to me) Chevy Express AWD van are not the best. Those are fairly easy to take in & out, which I like, but I hate the long, track rails that run lengthwise in the van to accommodate the seats. Would greatly prefer seats that just bolt to the floor, like the ones in my Transit Connect. How do the seats for the full-sized Transit attach to the floor? What was needed to install them in a GM van?

710m

Observer
The full size Transit seats attach to seat rails similar to the GM seats. The differences are that the rails are a bit shorter and there are three rails for the 3 person bench instead of 2 rails as for the GM seats. I haven't installed mine yet, but it'll just be a couple of holes in the floor to secure the rails with some backing plates and then the seats can be popped in or out as needed. The only problem with the Transit seats is that they weight a ton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior