Gen I transmission swap

BBClamper

Hi guys, new Monty owner here. Sorry if this ? has been asked and answered before, But, here goes. I just picked up a 91' with a bad tranny and has been pretty neglected. I have the chance to pick up a 92' and seeing as it's a gem II, I was wondering if the tranny's are interchangeable? Besides I understand the rear springs and trailing arms are stronger and would be a good swap to. Any other ideas I would greatly appreciate!

plh

Explorer
auto or manual? I'm pretty sure either will swap. Although with a manual you will want everything including shifter from the donor.

Last edited:

BBClamper

Sorry, yes it's an auto. If it's a good candidate, I'm planning on towing the 92' home and scavenging any parts that I can. The 92' is in overall decent shape, apparently has a bad motor. He's asking $500 for it.

plh

Explorer
Check the data plate on your firewall in the engine compartment. My '93 has a V4AW2 transmission... Guessing that the '92 would be the same. The data plate on your '91 probably says AW372L or KM148. They are not exactly the same as the V4AW2, but may swap pretty easily. You may need to swap the transfer case as well being the '92 is a SuperSelect T-C with the AWD feature.

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
Or install and NP231 from a Cherokee.
Does the super Select T-case stand alone or does it have electronic features that would need to be transfered over?
That transfer case is huge, an NP231 is compact and has a better low range.
Eurosonic has pictures of the swap and the Azcrew guys have info as well.

plh

Explorer
Does the super Select T-case stand alone or does it have electronic features that would need to be transfered over?
That transfer case is huge, an NP231 is compact and has a better low range.

The T-Case does not have electronics... NP242 to keep AWD, depends entirely on where he lives / drives. AWD is nice to have for the 7 snow months where I am on a daily driver.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior