Looking to buy a diesel 4x4 E-350, what should I look out for?

tlrobinson

I'm looking to buy a diesel E-350, preferably already 4x4 converted. Here are a few I've found in my area, any thoughts?

1995, cargo, 139k miles, 7.3l diesel, Crow's/Javier... - $27000
2002, cargo, 130k miles, 7.3l diesel, "Dana 60's on coil conversion suspension", $18500
2004, passenger, 165k miles, 6.0 diesel, Quigley, $20500
2006, cargo, 59k miles, 6.0l diesel, "Salem Kroger", $29900

I've read the nightmares about Javier so that's probably out...

I'd prefer cargo and 7.3l so the 2002 looks like a good option.

How much better is the 7.3l than the 6.0l?

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Skip the 6.0
Service records are critical.
02 would be the best of the bunch.

Ditto this. Any of the 6.x series is a ticking time bomb if you don't know it's history. It's not that they're bad engines, it's more that when something goes wrong it is STUPID expensive to fix. The 7.3 has it hands down repair cost wise. Much cheaper platform.

Of the lot, I'd go with the '02 mentioned, with the biggest problem I see being none of them say Ujoint anywhere. I've never heard of anyone converting his work to one of those listed, but I've seen plenty of folks who've bought into one of the above sending it to his shop for a rework.

taylor3633

Observer
Why diesel?

I switched from 7.3 diesel to 6.8 gasser and couldn't be happier; quieter, smoother, cheaper to have work done, plenty of power and torque, almost identical fuel econ (across my rigs).

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
At that price point, I'd think you could buy a van and have a U-Join t conversion done for the same money. Then most of it would be rebuilt and you'd know a lot more about the truck.

Why/how do you plan on using it?
Why 4x4?
Where are you located?
How long do you plan on keeping it?

I know it seems like a lot of questions, but the answers may influence advice given.
I'm happy with 2WD and a limited-slip... If I bought a 4WD, a Quigley would likely meet my needs. If I converted I'd likely use U-Joint or MGmetalworks kit he's designing. Chris at U-Joint has his setup dialed in and it seems to work very well.

Also, a 7.3 in my books hands down. I'd not trust a 6.0, and I've not owned a V10... I can't really comment much on the V10, but I get better fuel Economy in my 8500lb + Ambo with a 7.3 than I've seen reported by those driving V10s. If you don't drive much, it likely doesn't matter, but I have ZERO complaints about the 7.3... noise isn't even too bad. With sound proofing it would be even less.

Last edited:

mike.marcacci

Adventurer
I would be skeptical of the Crow/Javier. I almost bought one, but the photos on the U-Joint Facebook of Chris fixing one of those scared me straight.

I have a 7.3 that's getting UJOR right now. If you aren't familiar with the engine, know that it is NOT quiet... But it's solid. Mine has >250k miles runs perfectly. If you're willing to add a lot of sound proofing it's definitely my recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jsweezy

Explorer
Why diesel?

I switched from 7.3 diesel to 6.8 gasser and couldn't be happier; quieter, smoother, cheaper to have work done, plenty of power and torque, almost identical fuel econ (across my rigs).

I agree that if your not super strict on wanting a diesel take a ride in a v10. I loved my f250 diesel and was sad to leave the diesel world for a gasser until I drove the v10, and the quietness of the engine will make you fall in love.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Nothing wrong with gas unless you plan to really throw down the miles or tow a lot. No question the 7.3 is king, have to weigh the options and cost differences. Higher initial cost, more $ for fuel and maintenance, more expensive to diagnose & repair if something goes wrong. The 05/up V10s have the 5R110 transmission too which is a huge benefit in driving and ease of 4x4 conversion.

Love my V10 but also love my 7.3!

I would investigate who did that 7.3 suspension. You don't want to find yourself having to re do everything if it wasn't done properly or drives terrible like a lot of the coil sprung 4x4 vans. It can be fixed but you'll wind up spending more $ than starting from scratch. And the headache of course.

tlrobinson

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah now that I look at stock vans selling for $5-9k I'm wondering if having the conversion done myself would be better.

I plan on keeping it as long as it works as a camping / road trip / possibly towing vehicle. I eventually plan on doing a couple months road trip, possibly up through Canada and Alaska.

I'm pretty sold on diesel, partially because I've heard great things about its reliability and partially for for less practical reasons like I've never owned one and I like the sound of diesels :)

4x4 may be a little overkill for my purposes, but I at least want something that can handle basic off-road conditions. Another minor factor is California's snow chain controls, which allow 4wd/awd vehicles with snow tires to not have chains.

If I started with a limited slip differential and a lifted suspension how much of that work/parts would be wasted if I went to full 4x4?

I'm in the SF Bay Area and don't particularly want to ship a vehicle across the country to Ujoint, are there any good shops in Northern California that can install the Ujoint kit (or similar)? What would the approximate total cost be (assuming I did little/no work)?

Also, is Ujoint pretty much the unanimous winner for conversions or are there other worthy options? I know they're a sponsor here...

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Agile Off Road does a good conversion. MG metal works is coming down the home stretch on his design.

I know there are shops that have installed U-joint conversions... Chris could tell you where if you're not into doing it yourself.

taylor3633

Observer
"I would investigate who did that 7.3 suspension. You don't want to find yourself having to re do everything if it wasn't done properly or drives terrible like a lot of the coil sprung 4x4 vans. It can be fixed but you'll wind up spending more $ than starting from scratch. And the headache of course."

I couldn't agree more with this! My current van is a Quigley with RIP, and while the RIP has improved the ride significantly, I can't help but feel like I am still just putting a band-aid on a lousy system, albeit a great band-aid. In all honesty, whenever I find myself looking for a newer, lower mileage V10, I don't even look for 4x4 ones, I just plan to buy it and send it straight to Ujoint. That said, I would also like to drive one of Agile's full conversions.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Anything you've done to the front end suspension wise would be wasted. Most anything you do to the rear end would most likely be reused.

I'm not crazy about limited slips. Big fan of full mechanical lockers and K.I.S.S.

Call me old fashioned but I'm also a big fan of leaf sprung 4x4s. Stupid simple, incredibly durable, and parts are almost impossible to NOT find. I'm not a super fan of trailing arm suspensions, like split axle even less, and really don't like ifs. Seems like my like decreases as complexity increases.

I would say ujoint probably wins for pure off road performance. A full Agile probably wins if your idea of off road is blasting across washboard at speed. Quigley probably wins for brand recognition, and not much else. They must have an awesome marketing/sales team. Javier I wouldn't take my Big Wheel to, just based on net photos of his work.

And Ujoint puts on a mean-*** pork product barbecue!

Jsweezy

Explorer
If you want a 4x4 E350 that drives like an F350 then check out MGs conversion which should be released soon.

mikracer

Adventurer
Depending on where the Op is and what his 4x4 usage is going to be will be the determining factor of which system to go with. UJOR definitely has the front leaf spring 4x4 system down. Agile Offroad has the TTB system down. Both very capable and both have their target audience.

If you have the time/patience to get a 2wd converted, I would go that route. You will get brand new suspension and steering components with a fresh install. When you buy an already converted van, you may need to replace worn parts. Quigley has their own brake rotors, so be aware of that. If you get a screaming deal on an already converted van, then that may be a good option. But if its close in price in buying a 2wd van and getting a system installed, I would go that route every time. That's what I did and couldn't be happier.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I couldn't agree more with this! My current van is a Quigley with RIP, and while the RIP has improved the ride significantly, I can't help but feel like I am still just putting a band-aid on a lousy system, albeit a great band-aid. In all honesty, whenever I find myself looking for a newer, lower mileage V10, I don't even look for 4x4 ones, I just plan to buy it and send it straight to Ujoint. That said, I would also like to drive one of Agile's full conversions.

Yes, the RIP kit with new springs makes a big difference on the Q vans. I agree thats its a bandaid, a very nice one.

We have had shops all over the US install our kits, only a few have done several. SoCal has a few, WFO Concepts in Auburn has done one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles