Sceptre MFC fuel cans transported on back?

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I've seen a few pictures of people transporting their Scepter MFC fuel cans laying in their back, instead of standing upright.
Anyone have any issues with leaking or anything transporting them like this?
I'd prefer to secure them like this, if it's safe to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshN

Observer
If the seal is seated they are fine. The only problem ever with the scepter MFCs is getting the caps the seat just right and seal tightly. Out of (8) I own no matter what I do one always weeps. Anymore I lean toward rotopax for the flexibility of mounting but since I have these cans I just can't justify the cost of more.

Last edited:

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Thanks. I was just looking inside mine and it looks like the internal vent tube vents from the highest hump behind the handle and vents that area back towards the front and into the cap area. If I lay them on their back, then I do not think they can vent the same. This weekend will be a practice run so I'll see how they do laying in their backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Well you're not really worried about venting when it's sealed, the vent is more of an intake so when you pour the gas out it doesn't glug. As long as it's got a good gasket and tightly sealed while it's on it's back, and you have it upright when you finally open and pour it you're good to go.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
If the seal is seated they are fine. The only problem ever with the scepter MFCs is getting the caps the seat just right and seal tightly. Out of (8) I own no matter what I do one always weeps. Anymore I lean toward rotopax for the flexibility of mounting but since I have these cans I just can't justify the cost of more.
This video I'll link to explains leaks perfectly. The flanges crack and need replacement. It's an easy fix. If you own a scepter can you need to understand everything in this video. I have 11 cans to go to the sand dunes. I carry 8 and have fixed at least 5 this way. I keep a bag with a couple of complete caps, flanges and the proper viton gaskets made for gasoline because they need maintnence from time to time. Check your gasget per the vid and check the flange really well because sometimes the crack is hard to find and only leaks a little bit. Buy spares if you need to order because eventually the flange will crack. Silicon spray on the flange, gasget and cap threads helps them from sticking when the can swells up in the heat. Also be carfull when you fill them because the soft plastic sealing surface on the cans can get dinged up from the gas snozzle. Protect this area of the can. If you have bad gouges clean them up the best you can. This entire 5 minute vid needs to be understood along with what I added.

https://youtu.be/LFTdCv1LpIs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke