PROJECT PAYLOAD, 2007 Harley Edition F250

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
I will be returning back to the States in a few weeks and just want to make an outline of work that will be done on the truck for the next couple of months.

Pull truck out of storage
Change all fluids.
Check batteries. Replace if need be
Install the fuel cell that had been sitting in my garage for over 2 years.
Drive truck with trailer to overland east
Color match a new camper shell.
Create storage/ sleeping platform in bed.
Create storage under the back seat.

I am debating if I want to create a dual RTT solution for the truck. I don't necessarily always want to be stuck hauling the AT trailer. With a total of 5 of us in the truck it is absolutely essential to find sleeping solution for all of us.

Thanks Del for this interesting thread. Loved the photo of the happy kids gathered behind the truck.

If I followed things correctly you had an ARE commercial shell earlier in the thread. Did you get rid of that and, if so, why? I'm planning to add almost the exact same set up to my SuperDuty so I'm wondering what drawbacks you encountered.

Thanks in advance.

SFROMAN

Adventurer
No issues. I loved it and it worked perfectly fine.

I just wanted to try a slightly taller camper. One of my buddies at work wanted to trade so we traded. Now I have a camper with a roof this is about 1 foot taller. I color matched it and created a sleeping/storage platform in the bed.

Took the truck to expo west and the new camper worked out great.

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
No issues. I loved it and it worked perfectly fine.

I just wanted to try a slightly taller camper. One of my buddies at work wanted to trade so we traded. Now I have a camper with a roof this is about 1 foot taller. I color matched it and created a sleeping/storage platform in the bed.

Took the truck to expo west and the new camper worked out great.

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards a slightly above cab height commercial shell configured like your first one. Your new setup sounds cool. You've spoiled us with good photos so far; don't stop now. :elkgrin:

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Thanks.

One of the things that was good about the ARE shell was the side boxes. The box took up more realty inside of the camper that now I need. This is something to consider when going with those types of camper shells.

It is cool to have the stuff that you always need handy in the side boxes which are lockable.

My justification for replacement were

Add roof height
The new camper although not new was an even swap for my old one minus the couple hundred $ to color match it.

Was able to build a sleep platform due to higher roof and no more side boxes taking up valuable real estate inside and I was still able to box up my daily carry items and en some. Although admittedly not as handy as the side boxes. But close enough.

Hope that helps.

I am planning three long trips one to the north east, one to Alaska and one to Beja. I am still not sure if the F250 will be the truck I use for all three trips.

I am sure my truck is not the first choice most people would pick but I love it. It really is best of both worlds. It does great at being a work truck and I can clean it up and still daily drive it.

tremec

Thanks.

One of the things that was good about the ARE shell was the side boxes. The box took up more realty inside of the camper that now I need. This is something to consider when going with those types of camper shells.

It is cool to have the stuff that you always need handy in the side boxes which are lockable.

Add roof height
The new camper although not new was an even swap for my old one minus the couple hundred $ to color match it.

Was able to build a sleep platform due to higher roof and no more side boxes taking up valuable real estate inside and I was still able to box up my daily carry items and en some. Although admittedly not as handy as the side boxes. But close enough.

Hope that helps.

I am planning three long trips one to the north east, one to Alaska and one to Beja. I am still not sure if the F250 will be the truck I use for all three trips.

I am sure my truck is not the first choice most people would pick but I love it. It really is best of both worlds. It does great at being a work truck and I can clean it up and still daily drive it.

You have inspired me to build my own truck up. I just ordered a Road Armor Titan ll front bumper and a Warn 16.5ti-s winch with heavy duty accessory backpack, and a Hi lift jack with ORB. I hope to feel more confident to seek out the otherwise risky trails solo. Time to go out splorin. Thanks for the inspiration.

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Tremec

Sounds like u have a plan. What type of truck do u have?

I have a very crazy schedule so most of my exploring and trips are myself and my boys or myself with my whole family. This means that it is usually just us in a single vehicle with a trailer when it's all of us.
Single vehicle exploration is in itself a limiting factor no matter what vehicle you drive. We mitigate it with planning, vehicle prep but at the end of the day when I have my family with me and I am 3000 miles from my home I stick with common sense.

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy

That's one of the biggest compromise questions I'm still trying to answer; i.e., the convenience of side tool boxes versus the loss of interior space. I think I'll choose to not get them based on the flimsy logic that I've never had the side boxes so I can't miss something I've never had.

Add roof height

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Your direct experience is definitely helpful. I bought my current truck to carry a slide in pop up camper, which I bought at the same time. That didn't work out very well for my family's situation so I sold the camper. That was an expensive experiment.

Sounds like some fantastic experiences are in store. Safe travels!

tremec

Hi SFROMAN!!!, You Rawk. I have an 06 Ford F-350 diesel lariat cclb with an ARE Z series cap. Black. I put a Yakima cab rack with 21 skybox and j-lo kayak carrier. ( but uh hey dont tell anyone, i usually just slide the kayak in the bed and use a bed cage extender so i dont have to lug it on the roof and use all the pesky tie downs n stuff its just easier, or im lazy; take your pick)I put goodyear mtr/kevlars on but will go bigger when i lift it and get fender flares. Just put my Road armor bumper on (all by myself, yay me, but dont recomend it cuz its freakin heavy: 325lbs. Boy thats a story. Yeah, uh, got it on, but will remove it to put the winch on. Doe!! Meh, its ok, didnt know how long the warn 16.5ti-s winch would take. Its coming with a heavy duty accessory bag and a Hi lift. Ill try to send a pic as it looks now if i can figure how ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94