PROJECT PAYLOAD, 2007 Harley Edition F250

SFROMAN

Adventurer
I have never had any issues with the length or width of the F250. I think my statement is a little misleading. What I meant to say is that I would have liked to explore other routes that are clearly designed for rock crawler or smaller vehicles or way more capable vehicles. I simply don't take the F250 on certain type of routes for example Rubicon which is technically an over land route but designed for a way smaller vehicle than mine. If that makes sense.

I did run into an issue in the San Juans on top of Telluride. But that was mostly due to my trailer and it was a little later in the day so there was limited visibility. This scared the wife a bit and therefore I simply chose to avoid routes that I felt might be an issue for the size of the truck plus a trailer. If I would have been through some of those routes in the past with a smaller vehicle and new the terrain that lay ahead I would have probably not hesitated.

I hope that answers your questions.

emegmac

Do you offroad anywhere near the panhandle? I'm in Panama City am am looking for places to start. I have. Land rover LR3. Im looking to go out west next year but want some experience first.

SFROMAN

Adventurer
You can get a pass at Jackson Guard located in Niceville Florida. You pay $10 get a pass (expires fiscal year OCT) watch a video, and get a map. This gives you access to Eglin AFB reserve which is roughly the size of Rhode Island. There are some cool spots but you have to find them. Also it is mostly dirt roads with lots of water holes, with low hanging branches and tight areas. Expect paint to get scratched. There is also the yellow river area and the blackwater river area. That is to your East. To your West you have Apalachicola NF which is basicly the same thing. To the North you have quite a few trails in North Alabama. then of course some very cool areas in Georgia.

I usually head North to GA, NC, TN, or KY. to camp and ride when I am doing a weekend or 4 day trip. If it is just for a few hours I just stick to the Eglin Reserve.

Hope that helps

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Nomad. Haha
Have a Home in Texas and home in Florida. But live about 80% of my time outside of the U.S.

SFROMAN

Adventurer
I will be returning back to the States in a few weeks and just want to make an outline of work that will be done on the truck for the next couple of months.

Pull truck out of storage
Change all fluids.
Check batteries. Replace if need be
Install the fuel cell that had been sitting in my garage for over 2 years.
Drive truck with trailer to overland east
Color match a new camper shell.
Create storage/ sleeping platform in bed.
Create storage under the back seat.

I am debating if I want to create a dual RTT solution for the truck. I don't necessarily always want to be stuck hauling the AT trailer. With a total of 5 of us in the truck it is absolutely essential to find sleeping solution for all of us.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz