2017 Power Wagon

thethePete

Explorer
^ Everything is a compromise. You simply can't carry large weight *and* have it ride great all the time. Especially without going to air. Which I'm slightly surprised they didn't on the PW, it's offered on pretty much all their other trucks as an option...

Kinda sad that we live in an age where steel bumpers are a marketable option on a truck.

Still love the e-disconnecting sway bars.

Sounds like pretty decent suspension movement from it, and since it's using the same coils they use on everything else in the fleet, it would be easy to option out for heavier coils in the rear to gain payload capacity if required. That number really is woefully low for a 3/4 ton truck.

That "power hop" damper sounds like what Ford did on the Explorers in the 90-00s. I feel it's unnecessary, but whatever, if it doesn't effect suspension movement, who cares.

Not really sold on the "Articulink" thing. Sounds like one more place to quickly develop play in an already notoriously weak front end. Ford has been using this style radius arm for damn near a decade on their SD trucks with great success, and Dodge has started to recently as well. I see this as over complicating something for no real appreciable gain.

I also can't believe that we're even talking about twin-tube shocks at all anymore, never mind in a brand-new OE application. Of course they didn't use them. They're old, outdated technology. Sounds like they're probably using a factory tuned Billy 4600 series.

E-lockers are fantastic, and I think it's awesome they stuff them in both ends of the PW and the Rubi. I wonder if they left a loop-hole to defeat the 4-hi only engagement. Ford offers theirs so it can be engaged in any drive (2wd-4lo), as long as you're going slow enough. They didn't initially, but the newer trucks all allow it. I think Toyota has done the same now too. They should've offered that in the PW also. There are a lot of situations a locker will get you out of without having to engage the front axle.

Underbelly protection looks decent from factory, but they left it pretty close at the back of that cross-member. You won't be gaining much droop travel over stock without having to modify it, though I can't see the target audience needing that, this thing seems pretty legit out ofthe box.

Manual transfer case? Manual transfer case. Nice.

33"s from factory, I'm sure they'll take a 35" stock. Nice for an extra couple inches of clearance, and filling out the wells a bit more. Duratracs have mixed reviews, I personally have had good experiences. Cool to see them being used as an OE tire.

She's pretty long already at 149", but I'm surprised they didn't offer it with a long-box option. Though, with the reduced payload, and already long OAL, I can see why they might not have wanted to. Just wondering how that will effect their ability to hit their target audience. A lot of guys want an 8' bed, landbarge status or not. Personally, I can't justify driving a truck that huge when I can just drop my tailgate for the odd time I need to carry something 8' long, and a quad and hunting gear will fit in the back of a short-box truck anyway.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the PW, always have been. It would be cool to see the boys in blue offer up a tarted up SD to compete. Plus, I think we could offer it with the Powerstroke in it (gas and diesel rad-stacks are very similar in size)....

harv3589

Adventurer
I see in at article they say u can lock the rear locker while ur in 4 high...is that something new? I just bought a 2016 PW and thought u could only lock up in 4 Lo?

Love this truck and I've always been a chev/GMC guy...lots of power and rides nice. My only complaint would be the tow capacity and payload but I understand why it is this way.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I see in at article they say u can lock the rear locker while ur in 4 high...is that something new? I just bought a 2016 PW and thought u could only lock up in 4 Lo?

Love this truck and I've always been a chev/GMC guy...lots of power and rides nice. My only complaint would be the tow capacity and payload but I understand why it is this way.

If Ram does allow you to use the rear locker in 4-Hi it's a new feature. I'll be curious to see if this is true or not.

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2016-ram-power-wagon-off-road-review/

Here's another article about the Power Wagon, in this case the 2016 model. The subtitle is "Capable but compromised." The Power Wagon is a long, wide and heavy vehicle, not suited for all trails.

The authors would like to see a 1500 series Ram with Power Wagon running gear. Not sure how this would be smaller or more nimble than the PW. Lighter, certainly. The 2500 series pickups are at least 1000 lb heavier than a similarly equipped 1500 series. But the 2500 series bones of the PW make it stronger.

Maybe the pickup version of the next-generation Wrangler will fit the bill.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I still wish they had a diesel option for it. I know the article explained why there is not a diesel....but still.

Why not try the eco diesel the Ram 1500's have?

harv3589

Adventurer
Personally I like having the gas engine...it is a big truck I admit that but I don't think it's too big. It's built tough which really appeals to me...it's going to be my hunting truck so it won't see the harder offroad stuff my jeep will see.

PwrWagon

best tank 12.6 mpg :ugh:

I currently own a 2016 Power Wagon and I can say from my 7,000 miles the gas mileage is better than that. I average around 13.1-13.3mpg, not great but much better than some magazines have posted. My best tank was somewhere round 17.0mpg on a roadtrip to Colorado. Its been an amazing truck so far. Sure you compromise with the payload and towing but that is due to the softer suspension for off road. I was towing 10k regularly without an issue and only mild squat in the rear. One trip to pick up landscaping rocks I ended up with about 3k in the bed... truck didn't seem to mind but I would not recommend driving very far with that much in the bed of the PW. One thing I love about the truck is it is a HD truck and built like one. It can take all the abuse you can throw at it and keep on going. Tacoma, Tundra, Raptor and Rubicon were on my list when I was shopping for a new vehicle and only the Power Wagon was able to do everything I wanted it to do.

aearles

Observer
Agreed. I have 40k miles on my 2015, I was getting 13.5mpg avg while commuting in the city, now I'm averaging about 10.5mpg while towing a 7,500lb trailer nearly full-time. I see long stretches of 14-15, sometimes as high as 17, but I have not kept track tank by tank.

ZJARCHER

Adventurer
If you buy a PW for mileage, its highly likely you're not going to use the truck for what it was built for.

TwinStick

Explorer
:) For those late to the Power Wagon party, here is some thoughts from a guy who owns an 08' G-56 PW, lol :) If you use the words "Power Wagon" and "MPG" or "fuel economy" in the same sentence, it by default, becomes an Oxy-moron !!! LOL :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=oxymoron&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I get 8-10 mpg on a good day. Have gotten as little as 2 mpg, towing our 10,500 lb toy hauler in the mtns.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Would love to see a Power Wagon version with the 1500 diesel. :)

In an "expedition forum" I think it makes sense to discuss fuel mileage. The whole idea of an expedition is to travel.
If I could decrease my fuel budget, and use that to reinforce my beer budget, that would make me a very happy Expeditionist.
Or as Foster Brooks would say, a very happy exhibitionist. :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94