Australian Style Campers

oliverlove

Adventurer
Hey all, with a growing family my old RTT just doesn't hold us anymore, and with my wife eyeballing RVs I doing my best to get us into a trailer. I have noticed though only 2 styles of trailers are popular here, the converted M416 (or similar) and the teardrop.

If you take a spin around YouTube there are countless designs that the Aussies use to explore and camp with. Its clear it is a family event there. Why don't we have anything like that here? I understand shipping costs can be prohibitive, but I am surprised to see there aren't any US based companies building and and selling them.

If there are, could you point me in their direction?

Thanks guys.

oliverlove

Adventurer
This is exactly what I am talking about actually. All of the trailers listed are either teardrops or some sort of 416 or box trailer with a RTT stuck on top. Where are the trailers with tents integrated into the bodies? Where are the hard floor campers? Where are the fiberglass shells with external kitchens that slide out or open off the side?

I feel like we are really missing out on some great designs and are stuck with home builts and expensive small units.

fireball

Explorer
Check out the Latitude camper. I saw it at the Mid Atlantic overland festival last fall and was very impressed. Would be a nice setup for a family.

Good price too.

Setup time a bit too long for what I was looking for but otherwise an exciting new offering.

JoshN

Observer
Didn't know about the latitude. That thing is nice. Looks like it fits the OP's idea of what he is looking for too.

oliverlove

Adventurer
The Latitude is the closest I have seen to what I am looking for. Its great that these style are being built here. I'm currently talking with a number of Aussie companies about the cost of importing a number of trailers and selling them to try and cover some of the cost of mine.

Thanks for the great information guys, I'll keep it posted as I make progress.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
LAtitude campers are built in the same county as I live in. I know Sean who owns the company. Seriously meticulous. One of my best buds just brought one home and they love it. It you want heavy duty seriously overbuilt, this will do it. It has a ton of room and is very well thought out. Set up and take down take some time but that will be the case with this style for sure.

ZGKiwi

I get where you are coming from
I agree the Aussie/SA style "Trailer tent" is very appealing.

Kakadu bushrangers are the closet thing i've seen in US/CA but dont really integrate the systems (water, light, cooking) etc. like the southern hemisphere products.

steelhd

Observer
Kakadu bushrangers are the closet thing i've seen in US/CA but dont really integrate the systems (water, light, cooking) etc. like the southern hemisphere products.
No bears in the southern hemisphere. Sleeping on top of a camp stove that has been recently used, tank full of dishwater, a pantry, a refrigerator full of groceries, and etc can make for an interesting night in huge parts of the USA and Canada.

Septu

Explorer
No bears in the southern hemisphere. Sleeping on top of a camp stove that has been recently used, tank full of dishwater, a pantry, a refrigerator full of groceries, and etc can make for an interesting night in huge parts of the USA and Canada.

I live in a place where there's a ton of bears. Never once had an issue with my camp gear (inc stove) being under my tent.

oliverlove

Adventurer
Steel thats in interesting point.

I wonder if anyone that runs trailers with built in kitchens have issues. Lots of different trailers and rigs have food and stove integrated into the body itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier