Please educate me on smokers

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have a new Char-broil addiction after my last cheap bbq ignited on my back patio. I am currently waiting for my 2 burner professional series bbq, a big easy (awesome unit) 3 in 1 oiless fryer, grill, smoker, and my infrared portable for in the back of the Jeep/camper. The big easy smokes food with the best of them, making great brisket, ribs chicken etc. Then, set up toss in an 18lb turkey and deep fry it with no oil. Its really cool.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Well, the verdict is in. Smoked some sausage, brisket & pork butt. Family said it was as good or better than anything they have ever had at Dinosaur BBQ, Sticky Lips or Famous Dave's. I guess i did good. I used peach chips for the sausage. I used Apple chips for the pork butt & brisket. I bought some fish today. gonna try that too. Picked up some Cherry chips today too. I am gonna get one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/camp...ssories/_/N-1116231/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_107806680 or one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/camp...ssories/_/N-1116231/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_107806680 & use it to cold smoke some cheese.

So far, I am REALLY liking this smoker. My son got it work with my phone, so now I can monitor inside temp, meat probe temp & adjust everything right from my phone & even turn on the light if i want. VERY cool. (keep in mind that i am 52 yrs old & just went from a flip phone to a smart phone, lol) I gotta say, some of this new technology is pretty cool.
I've been all over the US on various work and business trips...and my home bbq, the neighbors bbq, and just about anyone that does it 'right' - will produce better BBQ than from a restaurant. I was pretty suprised at the instances of dry overcooked meats at the famous bbq places in Chicago, St Louis, Memphis, Texas, the Carolinas, Georgia, etc. People fawn over these places and I think most have not had bbq from a decent cook.

Not trying to say my stuff is the best, (I screw up from time to time) but I have rarely had better from a restaurant whether from my WSM, the neighbors BGE, or similar. I don't think the restaurants watch the meat as carefully or let it rest long enough before carving.

via pyramid energy waves.

So I take it you've never been to Coopers in New Braunfels, TX (best brisket I ever dreamed of) or Copper Top in Big Pine, CA (what Santa Maria Tri-Tip is supposed to be). You're right though, the high volume, big name places typically don't have the time/effort to maintain consistency all the time.

Smokers are basically simple devices, just learn the little nuances of what you have and experiment. I'm a fiddler so I would always check on the meat, gotta adjust. Just lets the smoke and moisture out. Let it be. I've learned to start a little back yard campfire so I have something to fiddle with and I leave teh smoker alone to do it's thing.

kojackJKU

Pulled out my little 100 dollar master chef smoker this weekend for the first time. Forgot I bought it actually. And wow. the stuff I had this weekend was fantastic. I need to get a charcoal chimney starter. Other than that, its just load it with charcoal, toss some wood chips on top every 30 mins or so, and kick back with some beer and relax and enjoy the smell. I know I had the neighbours jealous that's for sure. Next up is pork side ribs on the slow cycle!

collk22

Observer
Pulled out my little 100 dollar master chef smoker this weekend for the first time. Forgot I bought it actually. And wow. the stuff I had this weekend was fantastic. I need to get a charcoal chimney starter. Other than that, its just load it with charcoal, toss some wood chips on top every 30 mins or so, and kick back with some beer and relax and enjoy the smell. I know I had the neighbours jealous that's for sure. Next up is pork side ribs on the slow cycle!

Consider moving to wood chunks so you don't have to add chips every 30 minutes, assuming the smoker burns efficiently and doesn't otherwise require regular maintenance.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Consider moving to wood chunks so you don't have to add chips every 30 minutes, assuming the smoker burns efficiently and doesn't otherwise require regular maintenance.
Yeah.
For a 6 hour smoke I used to just put in 3 wet chunks of hickory. They'd last the first hour strong. After that it was just low/slow heat and steam.
You'd have to add water to the water bowl at intervals on a dry day and sometimes some charcoal.

XpoNoobie

Observer
Ive bin playing with a Bradley smoker(propane) for about 6yrs now. It took a couple of years to finally get good smoked meat out of it. My location of smoker doesnt help. it sits on the south side of a building. And there are no really good spots in the yard for it, future plan to make a outdoor cooking shelter. So I like not so good days of weather to smoke anything. Anyways ive told people that get a smoker dont expect perfect first time out. And i like going for long smokes 8 to 12 hrs, makes the neighborhood smell good.

For smoking pork ive bin using a brine and its bin great so far. 1cup soy sauce, 1cup honey and then 1tbsp kosher or sea salt. For roasts leave in brine 24 to 48hrs. Flip over every 12hr. Ive found that individual pieces like chops or ribs can be in brine for 24 and they are good to go then.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
As or more important than the brand/style of smoker: Finishing meats by wrapping and resting. Uncoated "pink" butcher paper for wrapping + insulated cooler + spare/old spare bath towels to fill the void in the insulated cooler = Sublime tasting meat that has bark yet moist interior. Plan on 2-4 hour post smoke rest (especially for large roasts...all things 'butts & briskets). You won't be unhappy.

kojackJKU

the chips are fine. Don't want to much smoke flavor, it overpowers the meat. Just finishing up our first round of 6 hr ribs here now. dry rubbed, smoked at the first 2 hrs of cooking, sweet baby rays original sauce on the last two hours baking in. Should be interesting, and Yummie. good ole 100 dollar smoker/grill doin the job.

Frank

Explorer
As mentioned, my electric Masterbuilt was on its last leg. The buttons on the panel simply gave out and I don't trust the bluetooth remote, though it does work.

I replaced my small 30" electric Masterbuilt with a propane MB 40" "Sportsman Elite" smoker.

Old: http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-...tal-Electric-Smoker-Combo/product/1505111211/

New: http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-...Wide-2Door-Propane-Smoker/product/1408211437/

While the new smoker still feels like a disposable item, the cooking grates, sliders on the inside, and the overall construction (hinges and such) seem pretty durable. I should easily get 2-3 years out of it.
On smokingmeatforums.com, it seems many people modify them with different smoke pans, insulation and such. Google will return a decent amount of modifications people are doing to the Masterbuilt smokers too.

My first smoke is this weekend, a full brisket. In my small smoker, a full size brisket simply didn't fit. With the new smoker, I will have no issues. -basically, outside of a whole hog, I should have -0- size constraints and will have the ability to smoke anything I want. (again, the advice I learned the hard way....buy the biggest smoker you can)

IMG_6997-2.jpg

Joanne

Adventurer
Love my WSM too. Once I get it set, it runs "hands off" for hours. It's Labor Day this weekend and I'm going to be doing some laboring, so I might have to do some ribs. Wouldn't mind a butt for some pulled pork if I can find it at the right price.

Joanne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior