Please educate me on smokers

GHI

Adventurer
Well you prompted me to check it out and based on the reviews I've seen so far I'm sold on it. It appears people are taking issue with a Bluetooth remote not having a great range, but i can pretty much guarantee I wouldn't use that feature anyway. I have been interested in a good smoker for quite some time. I prefer to buy once. Unfortunately, that usually results in a very deferred gratification. I'll be following along here.

TwinStick

Explorer
Yeah, I just went from a flip phone to a smart phone yesterday. Not sure why they call it that cause i sure don't feel very smart now. I had my flip phone mastered, now i feel like i'm in kindergarten again. Anyways, not sure i would use that feature either, but, now that i have a smart phone, in a couple of years, i might be able to figure it out !!! LOL. I gather that windows are useless on smokers. Smoke up after 1 use & are worthless, plus more heat escapes through them i would think.

Does this smoker have a latch/buckle to keep door closed or is it magnetic, like a fridge ? I ask this because my neighbors have dogs that are always wandering & getting into stuff. Just curious. I could easily make something that would work, but for $400+ & the low & slow nature of cookers, there should be a latch/buckle. If i lost $300 worth of meat, I would NOT be very neighborly.

Frank

Explorer
I have a Masterbuilt and so do about 5 co-workers around me. We are addicted and smoke all kinds of things in it.

To answer your question, it should be a latch style hinge. My second thought is to buy as big of a smoker as you can. I have a small one and while its great for my small family of 3, it is horrible when the invasion for smoked food comes in. Trust me when I say it; when you begin sharing your awesome smoked food, people will want you to cook for them.
The 40" smoker you linked to is a great size.

I would also consider this propane smoker that Cabela's is offering.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/camp.../Ne-4294750382?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

I have found that the master built smokers are kinda like a cheap grill. They are somewhat a disposable item. My smoker is about 2 years old and well used and will need to be replaced soon. The electronics are on their last leg. It has also always sat outside, though covered. The propane model smokers are a little more mechanical, thus less things to go bad.

One key difference between an electric smoker and a propane smoker is the ease of 'setting and forgetting'. With a propane smoker, there are dials to adjust to get your temp set just right. With the electric smokers, you set the smoker to your desired temp and the temp will get there and hold steady. The bluetooth remote (which I have) is pretty much worthless. I have found that once its out of range the smoker will shut down. I used it twice and have never used it again.

A few items to consider with your smoker:
Gloves that will allow you to handle hot food
http://www.cabelas.com/product/camp.../Ne-4294750382?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

iGrill (there is also the iGrill mini)
http://www.amazon.com/iDevices-IGR0...vice igrill&qid=1465331537&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

A stand for the smoker. I have mine sitting on cinder blocks, but a stand of some sort to get your smoker off of the ground makes life 100% easier. If you build your own, ensure you have a large working surface in front of the door.

One last thing; smoking-meat.com is a great resource.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Electronics?

Just build one...

Back when I ate meat, I had cheap one with a fire bowl, water bowl, and two racks. You had to check on it, refill the water, maintain the charcoal.
Best ribs/chicken/salmon/turkey ever.

PSA:
...remember that smoked meat is a carcinogen. I got cancer in 2010 and nearly died. Pretty sure my years of eating smoked food contributed to it.

Frank

Explorer
I do plan to build a cold smoker hopefully by years end, similar to what you mention. I too thought an electric or propane smoker was the easy way out, but like your homemade smoker, this too produces fantastic food. I call it a man croc pot. Set it and forget it.

On a Friday night, around 10pm, throw a ~10 pound pork shoulder in the smoker and let it roll until about 3pm the next day, pull it out and cover it for a few more hours and you have some amazing pulled pork.

psa from Frank:

Cheap charcoal is made up of horrible stuff, yes. Lighter fluid that people tend to think is the only way to light charcoal is also horrible stuff.

Electric and propane smokers use nothing more than either a small flame or heating element and wood chips. I think you have a greater risk of having health issues from eating GMO food and food that has been sprayed with pesticides and other chemicals than toxins given off from natural smoke. And lets also not forget about cooking temps. When I do my pork butts for ~20 hours, they aren't to a safe temp until after about 8-9 hours into the smoke, yet it appear to be cooked.

BTW, TwinStick, congrats on the retirement! Go travel the world!

TwinStick

Explorer
Thanks.......

Well, sometimes you just get lucky. We went to Cabela's last night to pay off our Cabela's credit card, in full. I went to look at smokers & BAM-there it was, my $430 smoker on sale for $349 on a fathers day special. Included a free cover, sausage rack & some other stuff & a dvd of how-to....& recipies. We also had a $20 coupon & i used my discount. The wood chips i bought were also on sale. It even fit in the backseat in the box, of our Corolla (by a mm). I won't be able to get into it for a week or so. It seems I am more busy now than when i was working ! LOL

wagex

Adventurer
if you are very handy at fabricating you can build a decent one pretty cheap, i have one my dad built probably 20 years ago out of a couple old propane tanks i still use it almost every weekend. burn only hard woods usually pecan or mulberry in it. ive never used the electric or propane ones with wood chips or what ever only real wood fires cook low and slow the longer the better imo.

TwinStick

Explorer
Well, the verdict is in. Smoked some sausage, brisket & pork butt. Family said it was as good or better than anything they have ever had at Dinosaur BBQ, Sticky Lips or Famous Dave's. I guess i did good. I used peach chips for the sausage. I used Apple chips for the pork butt & brisket. I bought some fish today. gonna try that too. Picked up some Cherry chips today too. I am gonna get one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/camp...ssories/_/N-1116231/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_107806680 or one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/camp...ssories/_/N-1116231/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_107806680 & use it to cold smoke some cheese.

So far, I am REALLY liking this smoker. My son got it work with my phone, so now I can monitor inside temp, meat probe temp & adjust everything right from my phone & even turn on the light if i want. VERY cool. (keep in mind that i am 52 yrs old & just went from a flip phone to a smart phone, lol) I gotta say, some of this new technology is pretty cool.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
... I used Apple chips for the pork butt ...
:Wow1: They will actually still hang a man for that in 5 Southern states...

Jack Daniels sells chips made from their whiskey-soaked oak barrels. It made salmon taste like manna from heaven.

AFSOC

Explorer
UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) may fit your bill. They are phenomenal smokers, easy to use, easy to regulate, easy to tailor, very flexible. They're also a damn rewarding DYI project. Youtube and Google UDS to gage your interest in these.

Lately I have been doing Boston Butts on my 22inch Weber kettle grill using the minion method. I tried it on a lark after buying a season old Weber charcoal grill at a yard sale for $5.00. I was pleasantly surprised by the results and have continued using it. Thanksgiving turkey was super moist and had a great apple wood aroma.

Whatever style or type of smoker you decide to get, make sure you get a good remote thermometer. The internal meat temperature tells you when you're done and being careful not to exceed target temps will keep your meat moist.

Good luck smokin', mastering it can become an addiction.

brownmule

Observer
:Wow1: They will actually still hang a man for that in 5 Southern states...

Jack Daniels sells chips made from their whiskey-soaked oak barrels. It made salmon taste like manna from heaven.

Mmmmmmmmm Jack Daniels! I wish I didn't quit drinking sometimes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke