2016 Sierra Carnage

FullMonte

Adventurer
My cherry is still bleeding from the last trip. I just need these TC sensors fixed and a few other things...I would be up there with Oso if I had to do this all by myself.. but hey there's a reason why I'm going every trip now with these guys! Leeegiitt

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

A few tips for anyone considering a first carnage trip;

Difficulty: Overall the Southern Carnage Routes are less relentless and not quite as difficult, the routes do make up for the difference in length, and remoteness. And dont be fooled, I have seen 2 vehicles totally annihilated.(1 not in our group, neither a Montero) and the stories of other groups failing to complete the Dusy as we did the one year are boundless on the net. My last big trip in the Red 2dr saw a near complete melt down of diverse systems. Overheating is essentially assured.(you make the Swamp lake climb and show me your gauge and I will believe you have a bad *** cooling system) Please plan to assist with winch operations on Thompson Hill. Fun on the trail is a team effort. Also be prepared to fight the trees that are extremely thick.

Scenery: The Dusy Ershim system enters a valley similar to Yosemite Valley while only missing the crowds. Granite domes, Massive ancient trees, lush meadows and lakes at every campsite dominate the southern Sierra Carnage. Altitudes tend to be higher with one of the highest Sierra 4x4 sections about timber line.

Equipment: Rear traction aid, rock sliders, typically 33" tires or taller, adequate armor, and over designed cooling system are certainly the minimums. But you will have more fun with more equipment.
Spares: Know your vehicle and its state of build, and what breaks. Bring spares. Its a drag driving hours to get parts, or losing days because of it. CVs WILL break, Tie rods may break, Gen III plastic drive shafts certainly may break, idler arms bend for examples. All IFS components fail with age. Spares make life much more fun.

Food and Supplies: Much more important for this years carnage as there is only 1 supply day, right after the Dusy. That means you need typically 5 gallons of gas or more each day on trail, plus getting there. So certainly for the second half of the trip you'll need extra gas. If you are using an old cooler, there is only one ice stop. We take big SUVs, so that means most modern conveniences. Be comfortable!

Showers: Typically available at each campsite, be ready to go when we arrive if you want to shed some trail dust.

Come with a carefree, fun loving attitude and roll with the punches as well as the amazing friendship and simply astounding scenery. Kids are welcome, I have two 4 and 6. Alcohol lead to fire walking and Star Wars Reenactments last year, so watch out for that.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
And last year we forgot the speed beans, must have speed beans for this year.

We may even bring the **** shovel. Although I don't believe we will have the correct company to keep the **** shovel loved.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Sure a lot less then you guys forgot a few years ago....you know, like food and camping gear :Wow1:

We have definitely stepped up our game these days. Much more prepared, guess that's what happens when we become more adult like. But I would never change it, still a kick *** time out therewith everyone.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Looks like the Marlin Crawler crew cleared the trail last year. There were some seriously large trees down! I'm not sure if they are planning to do the same this year. You guys may want to bring chain saws in case... Hope you put this back on the schedule for next year. I'll jump in on it. :)

Typically we are so late in the season that trails are clear. Next year will be pay back time for Fordyce. Pretty typical rotation, north one year, south the next. Barrett lake next year added as well.

ultrakill

Adventurer
I live in Fresno, I would love to go up and wheel a little bit with you guys, but I'm poor at the moment, and I know my rig is not built enough to do Dusy. Still it would be cool to meet up with some Montero dudes for a change.

Well, you could come up to Court right Reservoir and meet everyone the first evening. While not my first choice, it could be you could wheel as far as Thompson Hill, and turn around after the big show. But you may be right, High Sierras wheeling takes the best equipment, period.

Lets kick this back up. Due to an employee quitting AGAIN, it looks like I may be on my own for this trip. Have to get my rig back to the shop for some work, but it should be doable. How is everyone else coming along?

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Well, I should be ready to roll by end of next week hopefully, but if you are going to be on your own anyway, would there be any interest in pushing the dates back to September lloyd. I only ask because John Hughes is really interested in going, but he is still recovering, and needs until september. Just a thought, otherwise adam and I are ready, less az guys coming this year.

On a side note, who all is officially in to go? I talked to carlos and he is interested in coming out for part of the trip, might meet us in courtright and then leave after dusy.

So far:

Lloyd Gen 2 96sr
Kevin/adam Gen 2 94sr
Rainier Gen 3 06 ltd
Richard sidekick
Dan Gen 1 91 Lwb

Maybe:

Carlos Gen 2 95sr

Who am I missing? Always a fun group.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
What about jeep-n-montero? You interested in hitting the sierras with us this year. I just remembered at one point you chimed in, just though there might be some interest in attending.

Good question. My life could be worse or better in September, depending mostly on home construction status. I guess the question is are there others that would prefer that, or is there more folks that cannot change dates only a month out? Already have time off, ect??

PA_JERO

Adventurer
I can text rainier and Richard in the morning. I'm pretty sure dan is out from what adam was telling me. But I can give him a call too.

The question is how fast is the shop going to work out all the details on your truck as well lloyd? If it means they fine tune it just a little bit more with another month to work on it, I feel much better about that. If pushing back the dates is good with you lloyd, I say we talk to the rest of the group that's committed to go and make sure they are on board and we push them back. Then I can push to get john hughes out as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles