My Arizona Strip Report, May 16 to May 29, 2016

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Here is my Arizona Strip Trip Report, in video/slideshow form, of my trip through the Arizona Strip.

We basecamp-ed at Jacob's Lake, and camped out at Tourweap one night,

Sublime Point 2 nights later, and then White Pockets the following night.

From there, I camped at Lee's Ferry one night, then went back to Swamp Point the next night.

I got a flat tire there with no spare. I picked one up in Kanab and went back to fix it, and camped that night at Timp Point.

The next night we went to the East Rim, camped for a night, and headed home.

I got some really good video: Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1j3tmclfhrrzgk/Arizona Strip Trip, 3rd Edition 1080 Reso.mp4?dl=0

(NOTE: THE ABOVE LINK WAS BROKEN FOR SOME REASON, BUT HERE IS THE NEW ONE AS OF APRIL 4, 2017:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mw57zk015h76kk/Arizona Strip Trip, May 2016.mp4?dl=0)

Apparently, you can view the first 15 minutes without downloading it, but if you want to see the full 20 minutes, you may need to download it (2 GB), then erase it.

Regards,

Bruce

Last edited:

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Looks like you had great weather and a good adventure. Did you use a drone for some of those shots?

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Looks like you had great weather and a good adventure. Did you use a drone for some of those shots?

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Yes, he used a drone for much of the video. I was with Bruce a few days toward the end of his adventure. We camped at Timp and East Cape. I did a fair amount of mountain biking and got Bruce on my fat bike. He might be a new convert to that type of riding. Bruce, good report.
f8552193b863db60bd498ea42a850019.jpg

Cool video but your pans and text move too fast. I am not a slow reader by any means but was having trouble reading the text before it closed. Gave up after a couple minutes.

Looks like you had an awesome trip though!

mkitchen

Explorer
Nice

Did you drop your trailer for some of the trip? I understand that Tuweep no long allows trailers in but I did not see it at Sublime either. The North Rim certainly takes a fellow's breath away. I hope to spend another week or so there again next year.
Mikey

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Sorry that I haven't been paying proper attention to my post. I've went to Baja for a week and hope to post a video report of that trip soon.

About the trailer: If you truck and trailer is over 22 feet, you can't take it off road in the National Park, especially Tourweap and Sublime Point. 22 feet is so short that it excludes almost all possible trailers. I had to park it a Jacob's Lake Campground while I went to the Park camps: Tourweap, Sublime Point. I wasn't supposed to have it a Swamp Point either, but no one was there to complain.

As to the use of drones in the National Park, they are not allowed. What I had to do was wait until everyone else left to fly it. On one occasion, a couple wanted to see it fly so I had their permission.

As to the soundtrack, it was the Grand Canyon Suite of songs.

As to the short exposures of the text, it was my first video report, and while I reviewed it many times before posting, I made a few errors. I have now learned to lengthen the text exposures. Check out my new trip to the Pacific Coast of Baja between Ensenada and San Quintin--3 days of runs.

Regards,
Bruce

alia176

Explorer
Bruce,

Nice report. Since you were there, do you get the sense that the rangers are flexible on the trailer length thing? I assume they're trying to discourage the giant trailers but not sure why off road trailers are getting nabbed in the process.

tabraha

Observer
Would love to know as well Ali. South Carolina is a long haul to make only to have to dump the expo trailer somewhere for 3 nights once you get to a trail it was designed to go through. Tuweep has been on the to do list for a few years now. I'd hate it if indeed they stick to the overall length requirement instead of using some discretion on capabilities. :(

Anyone trailered there recently?

mezmochill

Is outside
The drivers are more of the problem than the trailers.

No way to verify descion making skills and the ability to take care of business yourself when the plan goes sideways.

Swithbacks? People coming in the other direction no turnout, no backing up....

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I've read some things about permits being required for traveling the Strip. Was where you went outside of the permit areas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles