Custom Side Panels

Ambulance_Man

Has anybody got experience of manufacturing their own camper side panels?

My ambulance previously had a styrofoam core sandwiched with 1mm aluminium. This is mostly scrap now as the new build has very different dimensions. You can buy this stuff in the UK so i could go down that route but its very expensive and not exactly my optimum plan.

What i'm thinking is again a 25-30mm styrofoam/insulative core but with 1mm alu on the outside and 6mm ply on the inner skin perhaps bonded with something like Sika 252 (easily available in the UK).

Can anybody either advise or point me in the direction of some research/info?

Thanks

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Assuming you are using XPS foam, 6mm on the interior is pretty overkill.

I went the route of 6mm on the exterior (BS1088 Okoume Marine Plywood), 1-1/2" XPS foam, and 3mm panel for the interior.

Everything is bonded using PL Premium Polyurethane

Incredibly strong and lightweight, with a great R-value.

Ambulance_Man

Thanks for the reply. I can only hope to achieve something as superb as yours!

Yes, XPS foam. Undecided on thickness but probably 25-50mm.

Did you hang your interior cupboards from the 3mm interior panel? Doesnt seem like there would be enough 'meat' to screw into?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Construction method I used started with a skeleton using a clear vertical grain fir.

So it included a good amount of framing

So mounting items from the inside is all about finding a framing member to sink a screw into.

The cabinets are also designed as structural pieces in my camper, so all attachment points were planned far in advance.

If you do not want to go the skeleton route, it would be easy enough to embed "nailers" into the panels when building.

Only catch there is you need substantial planning, to know just where you need those nailers.

sammyb

I would recommend having the panels made professionally, to your design
Quicker and more uniform pressure during the bonding process as panels are normally vacuum bagged during the manufacturing process.

Coldsaver panels in selby, manufactured a self supporting body in kit form for me taking in to consideration rebates and tolerances for bonding material, they also cut doors and window openings to your specifications. Cost about 2500 pounds for a 2000 x 3600 x 2000 box

252 is a great bonding material Im on box No 5 at the moment , prices vary in the Uk best price I have is just over 11 pounds per tube

Also you can use wood or high density foam on the edges of the panels/ window openings , foam gives less chance of water ingress and can be screwed in too

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Again, mine uses a framework, so it isnt exactly like a bonded panel.

But the end result is the same, with a bit of framing.

After the skins were installed, interior wall cavities were coated, and XPS foam was bonded to framework and exterior skins with PL Premium

Mechanical methods included scrap lumber, and LOTS of paint stir sticks.

After that was cured, the interior skins were applied and bonded with PL premium.

They were all fastened with stainless brads, at every point in the frame.

and finally, the entire interior was sealed, primed, and coated in a marine topside paint.

Not an exact science :sombrero:

chassis64.jpg

chassis68.jpg

chassis72.jpg

chassis75.jpg

chassis81.jpg

chassis84.jpg

evilram

That looks great. I'm thinking I'll try this method......... And it'll likely come out like total garbage comparatively. ha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior