Meet the Trot'n Turtle - Unimog U1300L Build

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
The real question is, did you make multiples of everything, because those are some nice, worthwile upgrades that I'd want if I ever bought an SBU again :)

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
The real question is, did you make multiples of everything, because those are some nice, worthwile upgrades that I'd want if I ever bought an SBU again :)

No extra sets for now...to many other items to finish before spring :)

What truck do you have now Trev?

Hodakaguy

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Round cab, which I enjoy very much, but there's always a chance I might acquire another square cab, and headlights were one major issue on the square cabs that needed addressed (easy to out-drive your lights with the stock headlights). Miss my old RW1 but I'm living vicariously through your build :) I could never bring myself to remove the rear fire box (as much as I wanted a regular box) so it's nice to see once properly done. Keep up the good work.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Round cab, which I enjoy very much, but there's always a chance I might acquire another square cab, and headlights were one major issue on the square cabs that needed addressed (easy to out-drive your lights with the stock headlights). Miss my old RW1 but I'm living vicariously through your build :) I could never bring myself to remove the rear fire box (as much as I wanted a regular box) so it's nice to see once properly done. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, It's been fun so far. Yeah the stock lights are absolutely pathetic, even worse than my old VW Syncro. I remember your thread and you wanting to keep your RW1 original....I had quite a few people wanting me to keep mine stock as well but I just couldn't do it :).

Now that the headlights are finished I need to start building the roof rack, side ladders etc.

Hodakaguy

Last edited:

giantiger

I am a newbie here. Plan to buy 2nd hand Unimog from Europe, then build my own truck camper by the unimog chassis. Another possibility is directly buy a whole truck camper from the Europe. Don't like the truck campers in the US. like your work.Wish you could share the importation informations. already pm you and received the call. so happy.
Nice guy!

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Building turn signal guards today.

Tacking a scrap piece of tube and steel onto the weld table to create a bending jig for the round stock. The yellow object is a Magswitch, a magnet capable of holding 400lbs that you can turn on and off with the T-handle switch on top, these are soooo handy for holding items when welding etc. Once in the Jig the round stock is heated and bend around the tubing.

P1060002.jpg

P1060005.jpg

P1060007.jpg

Heating the rectangle and shaping it around a large wrist pin.

P1060009.jpg

Here I've already welded the rear mount tab onto the guard and marked/drilled a hole in the cab at the proper location. I was eyeballing the clearance for the rivet nut on the back side and wasn't sure it was going to clear the windshield washer fluid tank on the back side so I used a very small drill bit to check. Once drilled there was only about 1/8" clearance on the back side of the hole....Dang not enough for a rivet nut to clear.

On to Plan B....I removed the snorkel and air cleaner assy to gain access to the windshield washer tank.

P1070017.jpg

P1070019.jpg

Hole is located right behind the front edge of this tank.

P1070021.jpg

Marked the area of the tank that isn't clearing and removed the tank.

P1070022.jpg

I carefully heated the marked area of the tank with a heat gun until the plastic started to turn clear, then I used a large socket to push/roll into the tank and re-form the area to allow clearance for the rivet nut. This process worked perfectly and provided plenty of clearance.

P1070028.jpg

Tank re-installed and rivet nut in place.

P1070032.jpg

With the rear rivet nut installed the guard can be mounted up so the front mounts can be fit/fabricated.

P1070034.jpg

Marking up the front mounts, these will be cut out with a Porta-Band

P1070038.jpg

Passenger side guard mounted, I'll do a little more finish work on the edges before powder coat.

P1070064.jpg

P1070065.jpg

P1070048.jpg

P1070055.jpg

Now to replicated it for the drivers side.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
A little progress today, it's been snowing hard outside all day so it's a good day to work in the shop :).

This morning I replicated the blinker guard for the drivers side, didn't take any pictures of the process since it was the same as the passenger side. Went a lot quicker without having to deal with the washer tank!

Both guards received a quick paint job and now are ready to mount.

P1080091.jpg

P1080082.jpg

P1080074.jpg

Starting on the side marker guards.

P1080093.jpg

P1080100.jpg

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Removed the Turtle from its warm nest today and went on a run with my father and son to get a pallet of pellets. The weather here has been nuts lately and it's been hovering in the single digits for a while now, burning through pellets at a quick pace. Suppose to turn warmer next week and it's going to be a mess around here so thought I'd go get the pellets today while everything is still frozen and the mog won't get to dirty and make a mess of the shop.

Heading out on the pellet run.

20170115_093702.jpg

Loading up the pallet, the drop sides are great for this kind of task.

20170115_100138.jpg

And back home with the haul. The height of the bed makes unloading a breeze, no bending over to lift the bags.

20170115_103302.jpg

Next up...make some side marker guards to match the blinker guards.

Cutting and marking some 1/4" round stock.

P1140107.jpg

Heating and bending.

P1140109.jpg

P1080096.jpg

P1080100_1.jpg

P1080101.jpg

Attaching the top and bottom guards.

P1150115.jpg

P1150122.jpg

And on the truck.

P1150125.jpg

P1150126.jpg

P1150129.jpg

P1150140.jpg

I also removed the yellow stripe from the truck today.

P1150137.jpg

Hope to be working on the roof rack soon.

Hodakaguy

patoz

Expedition Leader
Looks just like OEM! Adding little things like that really makes a difference in the long run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz