Ford: Crew Cab short beds started when?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Its a simple matter of capacity for me.

Whether I'm loaded with tools and materials on the jobsite (contractor), hauling pallets of sod, or yards of dirt/compost/manure, or a load of firewood, a 6' bed would severely limit the ability of the truck.

In each of my examples, it would essentially dictate the need for either a trailer, or more trips for the same load.

Instead, I can (normally) make it in one trip, without a trailer. Which equates to more cash in my pocket, for each trip.

That said, my longbed OBS Ford has more capacity (bed wise) than most, simple because it has a nice flatbed, complete with removable side racks and ladder racks.

Again, it's suited for my purposes, which requires quite a bit more than the average person.

tgreening

Expedition Leader

That said, my longbed OBS Ford has more capacity (bed wise) than most, simple because it has a nice flatbed, complete with removable side racks and ladder racks.

Again, it's suited for my purposes, which requires quite a bit more than the average person.

Got a picture of this one? My '05 is a flatbed dually and is the one I considered keeping, but a flatbed is rather boring visually. It's essentially stock which makes for a great work truck, if that's all it's going to do, but I wouldn't mind sprucing it up a bit. My biggest problem is a debilitating lack of creative flare. :).

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, here it is in action in just the past few months.
I've been catching up on stuff around our place, between other jobs.

Sorry, dont have any photos of the ladder rack right now.
And the truck is loaded with the camper right now being prepped for a couple more weeks of travel.
Maybe when we get back!

I purpose built this truck, simply because in this configuration they do not exist (stock)

*to be a 7.3 PSD
*to be 4x4
*to be XLT (best seats, and dont like Ford leather)
*to be extended cab (for reasons already mentioned)
*to have a solid axle front (swapped D60)
*to be auto-trans (drove truck for a living for years, no more rowing gears)
*to be flatbed
*to have side boards
*to have rack for lumber/ladders

And since deciding to go flatbed camper, Ive added...

*to have 3-point torsion free mounted bed :sombrero:
So when I stripped the flatbed down for an overhaul, I retrofitted it to work with a 3-point

*The flatbed is a true flatbed without the side racks.

*Side racks slip into stake pockets as well as a pocket in the headache rack

*Rear ladder/lumber rack slips into the rear most portion of the side racks.

Load of compost, 2.4 yards

yard001.jpg

Pallet loads of sod

yard009.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke