Tuning a CB antenna

prerunner221

Adventurer
I had a CB installed but I have added a spring to it and need it retuned. The gentleman who initially installed and tuned it retired and there's no one left in my area who does it anymore so I figured I'll just take the time to learn how to do it myself. Looking online it doesn't seem too difficult to do, my question is what SWR meter are you pros using to tune with. I'm seeing them online go anywhere from $20 to $100 and I don't know if the $20 ones are junk or if will do just fine for my needs. For instance, would this unit be OK? http://www.amazon.com/ASTATIC-PDC1-Workman-jumper-CX-3-PL-PL/dp/B00HMDQ4RQ?ie=UTF8&keywords=swr%20meter&qid=1465275696&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Should work. What makes most meters suspect are cold solder joints and broken solder points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I have a couple of the Radio Shack ones. They can be picked up on craigslist or in thrift stores cheap. But if you don't want to search around, the one on Amazon looks good.

Chad

4x4junkie

Explorer
Yeah, more $$$ spent on a meter gets you a watts scale (or better watt accuracy), better overall quality, and more capability (ability to use it for MURS and 2M in addition to CB & HF, for example).

Accuracy of the SWR function is pretty uniform at all price levels I've found.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Accuracy of the SWR function is pretty uniform at all price levels I've found.

Accuracy greatly improves with price, problem is the change point is pretty high. A $300 bird watt meter is far supperior over a workman $50 unit.
Now the big differance is most of the people using the SWR meter dont know the differance. Most people are not looking for accuracy, just lowest SWR.
Most of the cheap meters show you a value but hardly accureate, They do however show you the best SWR for your antenna system and that makes most people happy.

gary in ohio

Explorer
If your antenna has a tuning tip and you added 4 inch spring then lower the tip by 4 inches. That should be a starting point.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Accuracy greatly improves with price, problem is the change point is pretty high. A $300 bird watt meter is far supperior over a workman $50 unit.
Now the big differance is most of the people using the SWR meter dont know the differance. Most people are not looking for accuracy, just lowest SWR.
Most of the cheap meters show you a value but hardly accureate, They do however show you the best SWR for your antenna system and that makes most people happy.

I guess that is what I meant...
It telling you your 1.8:1 SWR is 1.5:1 or 2.1:1 isn't as important as it telling you within a point or so that 1:1 is infact 1:1 (1.1:1 maybe).

prerunner221

Adventurer
If your antenna has a tuning tip and you added 4 inch spring then lower the tip by 4 inches. That should be a starting point.

My antenna has a tuning tip but there's only an adjustable screw on the top with what looks like an inch or so of adjustment. I got the meter I listed above. I'm going to use this link tomorrow and see how it goes. I've wired uop all kinds of stuff but this CB thing is completely new to me and seems to be a precise science if you want the radio to work well. I'm meeting my father out in Colorado and it's a must that this thing works well during my trip. I guess if all else fails I'm sure to run into a radio shop in a truck stop along the way somewhere that can tune it correctly.

Thanks for all the assistance folks.

n1as

I used that MFJ analyzer for a number of years. Great tool. But for CB antenna tuning, good enough is truly good enough. Install the antenna with a good ground, then use any $20 SWR meter to get the SWR low and you're done.

Gizzard Stone

Overlander
Here in Reno, there is a guy at a truck stop who will tune for $20. I figure I'll buy the meter and save my friends some money...

Thanks for the info in this thread.

-M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94