Navy tests to affect GPS

haven

Expedition Leader
http://gizmodo.com/faa-warns-of-gps-outages-this-month-during-mysterious-t-1780866590

The Navy plans to test a device that makes GPS inaccurate or unavailable. The dates are June 9 (today), June 21, June 23, June 28, and June 30. Tests will take place 9:30AM to 3:30PM PST.

If you're close to the test location at the Naval Air Weapons Station at China Lake, CA, then GPS receivers on the ground can be affected. Airborne GPS may be affected as far as 500 miles away.

One possible use for such a device might be to confuse drone aircraft or missiles attacking a ship at sea.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Beyond these specific GPS signal test dates, the area around China Lakes NWS is subject to loss of GPS signals on a regular basis.

Just North of the town of Trona is a large radar station that when passed, makes my gps units go out or turn off. In addition, the Goldstone tracking range is just East of China Lakes. Goldstone and the areas around it are part of one of the Military's and other government agencies prime electronic warfare testing areas.

All this interferes with GPS, radio signals, and other signals.

We have gps mapped many areas close to China Lakes, and have seen how the accuracy can be degraded. Most often, it's not a big problem, but it could be if one is not aware of the signal degradation.

Thanks for the heads up.

fnjeep314

Observer
I used to be stationed out in China Lake. Thats going to really suck having regular GPS outages. I know a lot of guys who wheel out there that use GPS in Death Valley. Its a crazy place out there. There is a lot of stuff going on out there that is years beyond the public.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior