BEHOLD: The Teal Terror, aka, Project 1995 Suzuki Sidekick

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Love that rig man! it's awesome. Glad you never went with a stupid high lift! class rig all the way! I would love to have a 4 door version!

keithert

I have always liked the Tracker since they first came out. I looked seriously at a new 1990 but bought a 1990 Camaro instead. When the Camaro was getting old in 1997 I looked at a 1994 but bought a 1994 Eagle Summit instead. Then in 2003 I found an amazing deal on a 2002 Tracker ZR2 with 12,000 miles. It sold for $12,000 when just a year earlier it stickered for $22,000. I had a baby on the way and traded it for a sedan after just a month. I've always regretted that decision.

A month later I found a 1990 Tracker 4x4 that was nearly identical to the one I looked at in 1990 except for having 13 years wear and tear on it. It ran good though and the 4x4 system worked. I painted it olive drab and put 235/75/15 retreaded mud terrains on it from the predecessor company to Treadwright. They were great tires and allowed the Tracker to do quite well offroad. I kept that Tracker for 3 years until one day it decided to puke out all of its automatic transmission fluid at a stop. I ended up selling it for $400 and buying a 98 Wrangler.

Then in 2009 I found a 1993 Tracker with nearly no rust. It had 150k miles and I paid $1500 for it. It even had working air conditioning. I put a set of BFG all terrains on it. At offroad parks people were surprised how well it did. I kept if for a year until I bought another Wrangler. The thing is I wheeled the trackers a lot harder than I ever did the Wranglers. A vehicle that cost a grand is just much easier to justify taking offroad than one that cost 15 times as much! I now have a new Ram pickup and it isn't going near a trail. I now have ATVs that I use offroad. But the Trackers were a lot of fun. I recently ran an Autocheck on the 93 and it just moved to Alaska this year!

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I have always liked the Tracker since they first came out. I looked seriously at a new 1990 but bought a 1990 Camaro instead. When the Camaro was getting old in 1997 I looked at a 1994 but bought a 1994 Eagle Summit instead. Then in 2003 I found an amazing deal on a 2002 Tracker ZR2 with 12,000 miles. It sold for $12,000 when just a year earlier it stickered for $22,000. I had a baby on the way and traded it for a sedan after just a month. I've always regretted that decision.

A month later I found a 1990 Tracker 4x4 that was nearly identical to the one I looked at in 1990 except for having 13 years wear and tear on it. It ran good though and the 4x4 system worked. I painted it olive drab and put 235/75/15 retreaded mud terrains on it from the predecessor company to Treadwright. They were great tires and allowed the Tracker to do quite well offroad. I kept that Tracker for 3 years until one day it decided to puke out all of its automatic transmission fluid at a stop. I ended up selling it for $400 and buying a 98 Wrangler.

Then in 2009 I found a 1993 Tracker with nearly no rust. It had 150k miles and I paid $1500 for it. It even had working air conditioning. I put a set of BFG all terrains on it. At offroad parks people were surprised how well it did. I kept if for a year until I bought another Wrangler. The thing is I wheeled the trackers a lot harder than I ever did the Wranglers. A vehicle that cost a grand is just much easier to justify taking offroad than one that cost 15 times as much! I now have a new Ram pickup and it isn't going near a trail. I now have ATVs that I use offroad. But the Trackers were a lot of fun. I recently ran an Autocheck on the 93 and it just moved to Alaska this year!

That's awesome. I was always getting people saying how much better the Sidekick did off road than they expected. They're great little rigs. I think that if I were to do a Suzuki again someday, I'd probably opt for a 99+ model. I know there isn't as much out there for them, but I'd like to experience the 2.0-liter or even the 2.5 V6.

keithert

I've heard the 2.5 V6 isn't as reliable as the 4 cylinders were. Something about timing chain tensioners. Also their air actuated front axle is a weak point. A buddy welded his but it wouldn't stay welded. I didn't have mine long enough for the front axle to be an issue though. I may get a 99+ for my son in a couple of years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne