BEHOLD: The Teal Terror, aka, Project 1995 Suzuki Sidekick

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I just realized I never put a build thread on ExPo, so here goes. As a 21 year old vehicle, the Teal Terror is constantly a work in progress. Here's a not-so-brief history of the truck and its modifications.

Current modifications:

- 2" BDS lift springs
- OME shocks/struts
- Lockright rear locker
- Aftermarket 4x4 front skid plate
- Shrockworks front bumper
- WARN M8000 winch w/Custom Splice fairlead and Factor 55 thimble (not pictured)
- WARN WL LED spot lights
- WARN WXT-S halogen spots (rear)
- WARN Premium Hubs
- Calmini roof rails with Thule crossbars and BajaRack Mule Basket with ARB 1250 awning
- 15x7 steel wheels
- 235/75/15 Kumho KL71 Road Venture MT tires
- Vitara Safari Snorkel
- Hardtop
- ARB wiring kit for Fridge/Freezer (we remove the back seat to get it in)
- Dents, scrapes, scratches

Lots of recent maintenance including a recently rebuilt manual trans, new brakes, new fuel filter, new catalytic converter, new Optima Yellow Top, re-powdercoated front bumper, new window regulator ... and on, and on, and on!

Anyway, take a look. I'll update it as I get more done. Side note: I work at Warn Industries, so if this rig looks familiar you may know why.

More info on my rig at Subcompact Culture.

2010-11-27165603.jpg

This is how I got it back in 2011. It wasn't in very good shape. Top had little hardware, tires were bald, engine was in need of maintenance, and so on and so forth. It was essentially unloved.

IMG_0997.jpg

... but who cares. Let's go exploring!

2011-05-30-181815.jpg

First mod: New Bestop soft top. Added cheap, used 15x8 wheels and used 235/75/15 BFG AT tires. Also removed graphics.

sandlake.jpg

Sand dunes!

Suzuki_1_lores.jpg

Added a 2" BDS lift kit.

IMG_4972.jpg

... and we're wheeling.

teal_terror_bumper1.jpg

Found the exact Shrockworks bumper I wanted locally on Craigslist! How lucky is that?

VR8000s.jpg

WARN VR8000-S slotted right into the bumper (with a little grille trimming)

teal-terror-1.jpg

... and we're wheeling.

gorge.jpg

Matching spare, and more exploring

sidekick-with-mud-tires.jpg

Enter the 235/75/15 Kumho Road Venture KL71 Mud Tererain tires. Found out shortly after mounting the chrome wheels were bent. Time for new rollers.

Sidekick_black_wheels.jpg

Enter new 15x7 wheels.

camping.jpg

Our first Northwest Overland Rally and first big trip: 700 miles in the Sidekick.

464993_10151117945044851_539849003_o_zps9c09bb6a.jpg

... and we're wheeling ... this time with WARN WXT-S Spot Halogens and their light clamps on the bar.

Teal_Terror_Beach_zpsaad16d88.jpg

Added a Calmini roof rail system, Thule Crossbars, and BajaRack Mule basket. Also cheap LED lights. Also installed a set of WARN Premium Hubs in place of the automatic ones.

1013964_10151430612761986_1695748795_n_zps2b0c12e9.jpg

Added an ARB 1250 awning to the BajaRack.

TealTerrorFlexingsm_zpsd2368028.jpg

Added a Lockright rear locker. I can go anywhere! (slowly). Also added Trail Tough Rock Sliders. A pain in the *** to install, but they work great. Rocker panels were dented shortly after installing the locker (gee, I wonder why), so the sliders not only prevent my rockers from getting bent further, they hide the dents.

notch_zps93bc7196.jpg

... and we're wheeling.

thirdlink_zps3587f7f0.jpg

Rear diff spacer.

IMG_20140406_203644_zps1c6cfaef.jpg

Aftermarket 4x4 Skid Plate.

1275138_10152741005314851_7070265318595925664_o_zpsbc22a185.jpg

And we bought a Dinoot trailer and CVT Mt. Bailey tent.

11043212_10152572056186986_6377766382487244718_n_zpsseiregr1.jpg

Lifted the Dinoot with matching wheels/tires. Added Bushwacker Fender Flares. Added a set of spacers (on the trailer) from Nitro Gear and Axle, too. Converted the axle from 5x114.3 to 5x5.5. No more dedicated spare for the Dinoot!

hardtop_zpswzhfirrm.jpg

Found a hardtop up in Canada. Bought it and installed at our friend's house in Langley.

Capture_zps8e7lbyrz.jpg

Drove to Moab. Drove to Ouray. Drove to Nevada. Drove to Idaho. Drove home. Not in that order.

TealFlex_zpseop0iigs.jpg

... and we're wheeling.

You can follow the Teal Terror and our small car exploits on Subcaompct Culture, Twitter (@subcompact), Instagram (@subcompactculture), and Facebook (http://fb.com/subcompactculture).

Last edited:

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Snorkel-Lead_zpsmnnyvdxf.jpg

Added a Safari Snorkel.

custom%20splice%20teal%20terror_zps0lestrtn.jpg

Customized Custom Splice fairlead!

20160510_152454_zpsjzjn9urs.jpg

Replaced no-name LED lights with WARN WL LED Sport Beam LEDs. FYI, I have the WARN WXT-S lights mounted to the roof rack's rear, which is great for hooking up the trailer at night.

13221038_10154585834272289_8574025743938681065_n_zps8io79sjd.jpg

On the way back from Overland Expo West 2016. Photo in Marble Canyon, AZ. You can see we added two jerry cans of fuel (10 gal) so we can go farther than 180 miles on our tank (while towing).

Dake21

Adventurer
Super cool! They are getting hard to find up here, but a convertible two door would be perfect! Keep us posted.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Super cool! They are getting hard to find up here, but a convertible two door would be perfect! Keep us posted.

They're getting more popular here, too as the prices of Samurais start to get ludicrous. Samurais are fantastic, but a bit more Spartan and not as good for longer trips, in my opinion. (I still love 'em, though)

Again, being a 21 year old vehicle, there's always some maintenance to do. Here are a few other notable things I've done:
- Replaced cracked manifold
- Raided junkyards for little parts that were missing (door handles, interior vents, power mirror switch, rearview mirror, etc.)
- Added an Optima Yellow Top (since I've got lights, winch, aux wiring)
- Added a Kenwood stereo (need tunes!)
- Replaced speedometer cable (I might need to do this again)
- Swapped cracked rear tailgate for non-cracked version
- Added a Curt trailer hitch and wiring
- Totally cleaned out EGR system (after persistent CEL)
- Recently changed plugs
- Timing belt, water pump, thermostat changed about 30,000 miles ago

Current mileage now: 172,000

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Haha, love the name. Love the truck more! Take care of it, they're starting to be real hard to find up in Canada. Few years ago I felt bad for wheeling my SX4 so hard so I tried to find a sidekick or an old vitara. I quickly gave up as everything I found that was reasonably priced needed frame repairs from too many Canadian winters. I still keep my eyes open for a nice example though. But the older my SX4 gets the less sorry I feel for it.

DanCooper

Adventurer
That is one well built little bugger! If my Subaru ever gives up the ghost, I'm looking for one of those!

Great job.

Dake21

Adventurer
Haha, love the name. Love the truck more! Take care of it, they're starting to be real hard to find up in Canada. Few years ago I felt bad for wheeling my SX4 so hard so I tried to find a sidekick or an old vitara. I quickly gave up as everything I found that was reasonably priced needed frame repairs from too many Canadian winters. I still keep my eyes open for a nice example though. But the older my SX4 gets the less sorry I feel for it.

The oldest I can find are the gen 1 grand vitara at around 1000. There's sometime some samurai beyond repair (offroad only) I should grab one before they go extinct.

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
I bought a 98 Chevy Tracker a couple months ago. Had 78K miles and new Bridgestone 235/75R15 tires (five of them). I bought it for $1000. The glitch was that the dash had been removed and some of the parts (HVAC) were missing. I found a complete donor car at a salvage yard and got all the parts I needed plus it had a hardtop. Got the top and all the parts for $180. The Tracker is all together now and I love it. Maybe I will post some pics. The Teal Terror is an inspiration. Thanks.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
I had a Samurai loved it , was gonna go diesel VW but stuff went sideways and i got rid of it. I loved the smaller size and lightness of the family design

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I bought a 98 Chevy Tracker a couple months ago. Had 78K miles and new Bridgestone 235/75R15 tires (five of them). I bought it for $1000. The glitch was that the dash had been removed and some of the parts (HVAC) were missing. I found a complete donor car at a salvage yard and got all the parts I needed plus it had a hardtop. Got the top and all the parts for $180. The Tracker is all together now and I love it. Maybe I will post some pics. The Teal Terror is an inspiration. Thanks.

Cool! That's very low mileage. And I'm honored to hear the Teal Terror is an inspiration!

Ironically, I also no have an XJ! :p

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Very nice build man, and awesome photos along the way. That was cool to see, and flashback to my Sidekick days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier